Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650 Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650 Maintenance

First I want to say that I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I can figure out my way around an engine with proper instructions. ATVs are not my thing. I'm more of a self-taught Truck Mechanic. So if any of my questions seem rookieish, I do apologize.

So let's dig in. I have what I believe to be a 2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650 V-Twin. I say that because I can't find the VIN anywhere on this thing. I've looked in the places I have been told to look, but still nothing. This ATV was bought at an auction by my uncle years ago and he has since given it to me. When I got it, I would turn over, but would not crank at all. He said the last time it cranked, the Belt Check Light was flashing thus preventing it from getting up to speed. After I got it, when trying to crank it, I noticed fuel leaking from the carburetor. I have since removed that, rebuilt it, but now I'm waiting on a new plastic T-Fitting that fit between the two carbs. When I pulled them apart, one of the orings on this part was busted. I'm assuming that is the culprit to my fuel leak. It was either that or the Float Channel Gasket. They were corroded and rather flat. They have been replaced. Once I get the carbs back together and reinstalled, hopefully it will crank up.

Now to my questions. I have 2.

Question 1. As for the belt reset light, I pulled the belt cover off and found the switch inside that says ON and OFF. It was flipped to the ON side. I'm assuming that is why the light was ON? Will flipping it to OFF be the simple fix to turn off the Belt Reset Light? The belt looks fine and I cleaned out the compartment really well, flipped the switch to OFF, and reinstalled the cover. I won't know if the light is off until I connect the battery which I have not done yet so I figured I would ask here.

Question 2. I am making sure all the fluids are at the proper level and my issue is with the coolant. The window where you would see the level is completely fogged over. Is there any other way to tell the level of coolant in this machine? I'm thinking I will just have to drain it and just readd the proper amount of coolant from scratch. That is my main 2nd question. How much coolant is required for this machine? If you know of another way of telling how much coolant is in this machine without draining it and starting over, I'm all ears too.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go through trying to get this maching back up and running.

Old 01-26-2023, 09:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't help you with belt light, haven't run into that yet.

But with coolant. Honestly I just fill the overflow jog full, usually it is overflowing if I can't reach it with my finger.

I know, not the proper way but same as you I cannot see in there either. Filling it over full like that has not created any issues for me yet. Worst case, when we work it really hard it spits a little out.

Old 01-27-2023, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I was thinking about doing the same thing but wanted to hear from folks who may have done that and didn't have problems, so that answered my question about that. I do appreciate it.