Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

my LAKOTA review......for what its worth

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 03:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to let you guys know I bought a Lakota Sport last winter and have been following everyones posts on here since. I am ready to start mods now and I think its great we can work together on this. Even the guys who I ride with who have bigger faster quads think the lakota is great. I am 33 and this is my first quad, I think it was a great choice. I am wondering how you guys have your shocks set, do you change them for different riding like creeks, hillclimbing, or jumping or whatever.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-26-2001, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

Lakota sport3,
The faster the trail the tighter you want your shocks.
I had some concerns after my first ride being my back hurt from 30mph stutter bumps.
The rule of thumb is: Go to the back of the bike and lift it untill the tires are about to come off the ground, measure the distence from the hand bar to the ground.
Then sit on it and adj. shock untill you have a a 30 percent sag. Do the same to the front, but you only want a 20 percent sag.
I'm 6' 1" 230lbs and still need the softest setting.
I've read the suspention was a weak link for the lakota wich I believed untill I did the set up.
Once I did this I love the suspention.

Old 09-26-2001, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider

Beaver, pa.
My brother lives in adena, oh. About 13 miles west of wheeling.
If I remember rite this isn't to far from you. I also remember playing football against a beaver high when I was in school.
He drag races a 250r and he rides an 01 worrier.
I haven't told him about this sight yet and I'll call him today and let him know about your track.
I'm positive he will be interested, he goes out your way daily he owns a welding buss. and goes to the mines and mills out your way.
I have a graet suggestion for you I know you already know, get a jet kit!
I believe I read something from you and a friend of yours about mx racing your lakota.
At the time if this was you, I hope you didn't let those bosose who had those crazy stories about braeking shocks and frames and what ever!
They didn't discourage you did they. I grew up in that area and I remembered the county fairs you were talking about and I also remember how fun it was win or loose.

Old 09-26-2001, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

they didnt discourage me there all honda biased. My brother has a 01 warrior lets keep the post coming.

Old 09-26-2001, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Hiflyin', I was just curious how bad you lose to the Warrior after your mods. I a drag that is, woods I'm sure you can keep up.

Old 09-26-2001, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

hey guys,
I'm starting my mods today and I checked on some 1" wheel spacers I believe will help me with a little tipsy feeling I have when I go into a power slide and come up on a little grass or a spot that has a little more traction.
I realise that with mods a little more mid range will help the wheels spinning threw the better traction areas.
I'm starting with my chassi improvements first because once you start building HP you seem to loose trak on what you planned to do.
Well my question is my parts man started in on how off-set wheels or a harder side wall tire may do the same thing.
I'm probably will by wheels and tires some time in the future, but the ones it came with I don't have any problem or reason to get rid of

Old 09-27-2001, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Gaff,
Do you do much mud riding? A couple of times when Ive been out riding with my buddies (they all ride 4x4s i.e. Grizzly, Big Bears, etc.)
we have ended up at the old mud bog and I always end up getting pulled out by one of them. I have about 75% tread left on the rear tires and it seems like they slip a lot in the mud. How have your stock tires done in the mud? Im assuming that even though your bike is a 01' that they are still the same stock tires I have on mine. Im just curious about this, though most of my riding is on the trails or in the dirt pit. Also, if I dont change out the front sprocket and I do go with a wider lower profile tire what will this do to the gearing as far as acceleration and top end, I know these are some basic questions for you, but understand Im not very
mechanically literate, but I seem to be pretty good at breaking stuff, especially when out on the trail. Thanks for any advice, and also thanks to everyone elso who has replied. This forum is great, a couple of years ago none of this was possible and a lot of us would have unanswered questions and would be guessing about which mods to do and which product to go with, lets all keep it up and and keep each other posted as to what is out there for our quads.

Thanks again,

Dirthead

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2001, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Dirt Head,
I don't try to do a hole lot of mud riding, although it can be lots of fun.
Down here in south louisiana thier is alot of black jack mud, very much like the clay you have in bama country except its black instead of red.
I find the stalk tires (still about 90% tread) are slippery exspecialy in the mud. I have been able to hold my own so far, although I have been pulled out a couple of times I don't think any tire would have gotten me out of those holes though.
As far as the tires, if you go with the lower profile tires you will loose top end and if you go with the higher profile tires you will gain top und.
Don't let your speed decide what tires to purchase. I believe front sprockets go for around fifteen bucks and what ever type tire you go with you can counter it with a sprocket change to your liking.
I think the best I will be able to do with all the mods I plan to do is a honest 55 to 58 mph.
I believe you maybe can push a little more out of the top end but I realy like the bottom and mid ranges and will take any top end I get.
At this time I'm looking at wheel spacers to widen my track a little, only about an inch.
I've put this out in a couple of threads to see what every one thinks, because thiers other alternatives such as offset rims, I just don't know yet I just know I would like to get just a little (not much) more stability out of the lakota and maybe get a little help on the strength it takes to steer it at high speeds, although I'm not worried about that if this would help a little fine.

Old 09-27-2001, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Granted the stock tires work, however they are very tall and will flex a great deal when cornering hard, they are not spoken of very well in any of the Lakota tests I've read. This is part of the reason why the Lakota is tipsy in the corners. Going to a lower profile tire will help handling tremendously. However the lower profile will lower the gear ratio. Thus prob. getting you out of the hole a little quicker, but you will lose a few mph on the top end and I'm sure you will rev out quicker too. I plan on going up 1 tooth on the countershaft sprocket. If I like the ratio when I go to a lower profile tire in rear I will have to go down a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket to keep the ratio relatively close.

Yes, I have been pulled out of the mud many times myself, this is the price for a 2 wheel drive, but that's ok with me, there is always another way around.

Old 09-27-2001, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Ya stebob,
I was playing with tire psi yesterday and found the rear about 5 to 6 psi adjusted handling tramendously.
Wich still leaves me waiting on feed back, wheel spacers or off set wheels.
I plan on putting a graet deal of power to this baby and If it throws me then like it does now o-boy

Quick Reply: my LAKOTA review......for what its worth