Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

my LAKOTA review......for what its worth

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I didn't drag them it wasn't even a good start we came out a path way and got on it I was behind them and didn't get a chance to keep up.
They pretty much just pulled away.
In the lakotas defense it has such a tame forth and fith gear if my son on his xr 80 is wide open after third gear I have a real rough time catching him. And believe me when I say real rough time.

Old 09-27-2001, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

I just read the Lakota build up. Pretty interesting. I was suprised that they didn't know the differance in the stock jet numbers and the k&n jet numbers. The k&n 136 and the Mikuni are different. The Lakota has a 148 or something main jet they said and they couldn't believe the kit said to use a 134. But they are different. My Mojave kit came with DJ128,130 and 132 main jets as compared to the stock Kehin 134. The DynoJet Jets are different I don't know why but they are. So basically in the case of the Mojave my DJ128 is about the equvalent of a Kehin 134-135 or something in that range. And the DJ 132 is probably in upwards of a Kehin 140 jet

Old 09-27-2001, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

What do you guys think about the White Brother E-series univesal silencer I'm thinking of getting one of them for mine does anyone know what size the pipe is on the lakota 1.50" is the smallest that they offer.What front tire's would you guys recommend i have fast treakers on the rear.

Old 09-27-2001, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

If you look at the jets carefully you'll see that different jet manufactures have diff. styles.
Look at them some have tapers going in some have tapers going out some have no tapers and some have tapers on both sides.
And it is very funny they don't know the different index sizes.
I talked to my brother about are past conversations about jetting, and he believes its a unit of measure per a certan flow rate threw the jet.
So he believes that the way the taper and twists are decides on the flow rate threw the jet.
Well that all sounds fine and dandy, buttttt (the infomous but) In all my years I've never realy heard this discussed.
And I deffinately Know for sure you can't mix the jets, it'll never work out I've done it by mistake many times and you will deffinately know.

Old 09-27-2001, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

big bad 400
Read the article about the lakota stebob told us about today.
They recomend the good year tracker st.
As far as the white bros pipe, I red about a white bros mojave and thats what they used, buttttt did not include performance specs.
I believe I 'm going with every one else. SUPER_TRAPP

Old 09-28-2001, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

SuperTrapp SuperTrapp SuperTrapp SuperTrapp!!

What do ya'll think of the shift and rear brake lever mods. they did. I haven't had a problem, but maybe I'm missing out on something. True too, I don't really use my rear brakes.

If anyone is interested and wants to tackle a task: In a '99 Dirt Wheels (don't know which one, this is the task), an article was written where they put a Lakota and a Mojave against each other w/350 stroker kits. This article may have all kinds of useful info. I would do the search but to be honest I'm too lazy and don't have enough time. I know it exists though. My point is for someone to locate it and read the article and, if possible, make it so we can all read it.

BTW - My buddy that read the article, remembered that they did like the Lakota better, not sure why, I haven't read it yet.

Old 09-28-2001, 04:24 AM
Trailblazer

Most helpful thread I have seen in any forum here, hope we can keep helping eachother like this and people might figure out how good the Lakota is, it might get us more aftermarket parts.I would like to add some front lights, any ideas on amps it can take or what to use? I have a front bumper for maybe a mounting spot. How much different does going up a tooth on the front sprocket feel, this thing feels so low geared.Stebob, I have read your posts since you started so I may be asking you some questions.

Old 09-28-2001, 04:35 AM
Trailblazer

Several months ago they reviewed the Lakota Sport and said they were going too lighten it up and do mods. We were supposed to keep watching the website for results but they never posted anything. I bet the actual owners of Lakotas have done more for eachother than a mag that sells advertising ever will. Just me thinking.

Old 09-28-2001, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider

Stebob,
I totaly agree with the brake and shift levers mods. I also agree with the handle bar mod.
The point is the brake lever is useless, as you stated you don't use yours.
The shift lever is about useful as the brake lever.
I hate to rag on it but I have been quietly bitshen about the same three things.
Any bike I have owned street or dirt the shift lever fits behind your toes and is a positive fit.
The lakota's require lifting your foot off the peg in many sittuations.
Case in point I have a blaster by the house doing repairs on it and riding it around the first thing I noticed was the comfort of the shift and brake levers.
As far as the handle bars go man thank you god.
You can't tell me in hard corners or power slides you can even reach the throttle. I've learned how to reach my fingers around the front of the handle bars to pull on the throtle in these situations.

Lakota sport three,
Yesterday stebob posted, Go to the bottom of the page, click on the magazine, go to search (top right) and type in lakota and check out there cool mods to include the 13T sprocket

Old 09-28-2001, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Alright Guys got the skinny,
13T sprocket: $18.95

GoodYear Tracker st 23x7x10: $108.95ea.

K&N power up kit: $130.95

Alittle pricy compare to rocky mountain.
I believe I'll call them now, thier out of stock at this time But I believe the wait is worth the savings

Quick Reply: my LAKOTA review......for what its worth