Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

my LAKOTA review......for what its worth

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 04:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to all, my fellow ATV nuts and loyal lakota riders. I posted a thread about 5 weeks ago asking for advice about choosing either the honda 250x or the Lakota. I am happy to report that I went with the Lakota, not to say that the 250x is a bad quad it just does not fit my needs in a bike. I was oringally looking at getting a brand new 2000 model that the dealer still had on the showroom floor, I could get it for $3700 out the door, but a funny thing happened on the way to the dealership so to speak...I ended up checking out cycletrader.com and found a 1998 model that was in MINT condition for about $1500 less, so I went with that bike instead. This bike will become the wifes quad next year when I start looking at getting another quad, hopefully a 400ex[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I like ths Latkota, it is a very fun quad to ride. While the powerband is a little on the smooth side, it just does not have a punch to it, it has plenty of usable power. I have not yet found a hill that I have not been able to climb. The Lakota handles really well for being such a heavy bike, it does have a light feel to it especially in tight woods. The suspension works great for what it was intended for, fast paced trail riding and light jumping, but can get a little bouncey if you push it to hard in the whoops. The triple hydralic disk brakes work great at slowing you down when you need to, I have not had any trouble with them whatsoever.
The mods I plan on doing to the quad are, putting on K&N power kit, supertrapp ISD2 system, and maybe going up to a 13 tooth front
sprocket. The first two mods I definitly know I will do, the third Im not so sure, has anyone out there gone up on the front sprocket and if so what were the results? Do you lose some of your low end power but pick up a little more top end? Also what type of percentage gain do you get with the K&N kit and the ISD2 system overall in the bike? Is it a gain throughout the entire powerband?
I still have the stock tires on the quad, about 75% tread left, and they dont seem to work that well in mud....any suggestions as to what tire to go with? Is the Holeshot XTC a good tire, and also can you put a wider tire on the lakota?
I know I have asked a lot of questions, but I know to always ask those who have already gone where you want to go. So, how about some feedback guys....Stebob, 14mins, gaff, and everyone else who rides or has owned a lakota...I sure would appricate any infornmation.

Thanks,

Dirthead

1998 Lakota (red)
racks removed
mods soon to come

Old 09-24-2001, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

Dirt Head,
I'm glad to see your review.
I've had the 01 lakota for 7 weeks now, and just started testing it out my self(sence the kids use alot of the ride time)
I can say to one and all, the lakota is a dam good bike.
I too felt it was a little bouncy at first. then I came home got out the tape measure and set up the saspention. I'm 6' 1" and 230lbs, and the shock settings came out to the softest setting. This improved the bounce quite a bit.
I have been careful not to add mods while I'm braeking it in, but I can feel the un harnessed horse power that can be tapped.
I will tell you what I believe the first mod I am going to make believe it or not will be wheel spacers. opening up the wheels by one inch I believe will give a little better sport handling to the bike.
The pipe (wich I need help on wich one), jet-kit, and filter is a deffinit. The thirteen tooth front sprocket, it's funny before I even knew about this web site, I hit fith gear and a bigger front sprocket was the next thing that entered my mind.
My first inpression was how long will the auto clutch hold up, but now I believe in the clutch.
I believe thiers more than enough torque for the new sprocket, but I love to bang second and hang the front wheels. If you get the thirteen tooth sprocket and a lower profile tire your gearing will be about the same, if you leave the stalk sprocket and get higher profile tires, well you know what I mean.
The power-ban is smooth but I find extreamly useful, I all so believe the new mods will make it pull some more.
As far as the auto clutch goes, I've noticed if you lift it while in gear the clutch dis-ingages, the same with reverse if you push down on it, it allows you to rev higher and fether the clutch.
I've also have been learning to feather the clutch in third while exiting corners.
All in all guys I thought I would be buying me a mojave soon but more and more I ride the lakota the more I like it.
I do be lieve that any track under 40 mph top speeds, the lakota will give any bike all that it can handle.
And in closing all I can say is can you believe the corner speed of these things.

Old 09-24-2001, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Gaff,
I appreciate the feedback. I agree that the Lakota corners really well
you can really slide it around in the turns. Thanks for the tip on feathering the auto clutch, I had not really thought about that but it sounds like it works pretty good. I went riding with a friend of mine who owns a Yamaha Grizzly and he always blows by me on the dirt roads, but
when we get into the trails and rough stuff that tank he rides cant keep up for nothin. I usually get so far a head of him that I have to stop and wait for him to catch up, this is where the lakota really shines on the tight trails and sweeping thru the turns. I know that the lakota is not even close to being a great sport bike its still a blast to ride, I cant wait to do the mods I want to do. Gaff, let me know of any other mods or tricks you think might work on the lakota, Im going to look into those spacers you mentioned.

thanks,

Dirthead

Old 09-25-2001, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

Dirt head,
I know what your saying about the top end.
Unfortunately I'm a non believer in internal engine mods for a non-racing machine.
Internal engine mods take all the reliability out of the bike and it becomes a total tuning nightmare.
The problem with the lakotas top end is she just runs out of rev. How to fix it, gearing is the only reliable answer.
But how far can we go with this gearing?
Give me about untill january and I'll have some answers for you I plan on testing the thirteen tooth front sprocket as well as some different rear sprockets.
I don't want to compromise the second gear wheelying ability, and hope to catch a third gear after mods.
I believe lakota300cr has done many mods to his bike we're going to have to pump him for info and start a real good set up soon.
Well for all it's worth it's a real good bike and has many uses that the other sports don't

Old 09-25-2001, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

Dirthead, IMHO the only pipe to go with on a Lakota is the IDS2. The jet kit and pipe create a new machine. However, you will not have the "punch" it sounds like you want. It will definitely make a big diff. but you still can't keep up with a Warrior or 400EX in a drag. Woods? Yes. Pending on rider ability of course.

If you are wanting punch and high speeds, my friend you need to look at a diff. bike. Yes, the Lakota runs good and is a blast to ride, but a speed demon it is not. I hear you will gain approx. 3 mph on top end with the 13 tooth front sprocket. I will be doing this pretty soon. I am also considering going with 20" Bandits on the rear for tires. I realize that I will be losing ground clearance, but 22" tires sure are tall when compared to my good buddies 400EX rears. When I do that however I will be countering the 1 tooth up on the countershaft sprocket. At that time I will need to determine what gearing to use for the rear sprocket to get close to the same gearing as it would be with 20" tires.

I too will be adding Dura Blue wheel spacers. I have been thinking of 1" in front and rear, but I just read the 250EX write up in the new Dirt Wheels and they used 2 and 2 1/2" spacers. At this time I'm not sure which ones I'll try. Prob. the 1". I don't want to wide then hamper my riding in-between-things.

Old 09-25-2001, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

I very much believe in the wheel spacers. My reasoning is, the lakota gets tipsy, mainly I find is mostly my riding style, being a two stroke rider for e-ons riding a four stroke is a learning expereince.
I found that the lakota or any four stroke doesn't have the power snap like a two stroke to get you out of trouble.
I have been flung and flung hard on flat grassy areas while in a controlled slide and the power wasn't thier to carry me threw. Although the bike doesn't ever flip I usualy go air borne for several feet.
My belief is to add 1" spacers but not too wide like stebob said but a little to comploment my riding ability.
The mods. should make a graet difference, but in my racing days I found out chassis set up and brakes will be for ever my first mods due to learning many things in very difficult ways.
Stebob I see about a $235.00 price on the super-trapp sight, what did you have to pay for your pipe.

Old 09-25-2001, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

Hey GAF,
Just to clarify things. I have not yet done any mods to my 2001 Lakota Sport. I am planning on upgrading the exhaust, air filter and addind a jet kit sometime in November. I just bought it about one month ago and want to really have a good "feel" for the bike before modifying it. I will definitly let you know how the mods come out though.
Lakota300CR

Old 09-25-2001, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

lakota300cr
Sorry I thought you already did some mods.
I just bought mine august 13th, haven't made any mods yet except found a spot for some holes I drilled in the air box to get ready for the mods.
I tune by reading the spark plug and the lakota shows good burning, I only did this because I'm going riding tomorrow with my son (xr80/01 model) and I just wanted to do a litle test while it was still stock.
I work in the oil field off shore and I leave thursday for a week and hopefully when I get home some of the mods I have ordered will start coming in. except for the pipe, mainly I'm not sure exactly what I want. Just about all the lakota guys say the super-trap is the one so I'll see.
If your next question is were I drilled: I made a line on the air box cover were the Blue plastic covers some of the air box cover. Then I drilled a series of holes in a some what professional manner.
And if I wanted to go mud riding I'll just put duct tape over it.
Other than a pipe hanging out I want my lakotas apperence to be stalk

Old 09-25-2001, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have moded my lakota sport i have a K&N Filter on it a Supertrapp IDS2 and Dg skid plate swingarm and full chasis.
I can say here in western pennsylvania my friend bluelakota and I Have peopel purchasing lakota sports left and right. See my friend that ride mine always ask when i tell them i have a lakota sport they say what. Then they rode my quad and loved it one bought one and 3 more are trying to talk there parents into it. The pipe adds low power and filter acceleration. The pipe can also gain top speed if more disc in it. I agree with the comment that get on a track that is under 40 mph a lakota can keep right up. On my track i have a 30 ft table two 30+ doubles and a 50 foot table top it handles these very greatly if any one lives by western pa and wants to ride my track tell me on this forum.

Old 09-26-2001, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

$199.99 at Rocky Mountain!!

BTW - SuperTrapp is a wonderful company to deal with as well as put out a great product. When I got my pipe and put it on, there was an exhaust leak I couldn't find. I finally got to looking at the weld on the head pipe, where the ring is attached to go into the block, there was a bad weld. I could light 1/2 way around the ring. I called them up and told them what was up, the dude says no prob. I'll send another one right to ya, overnight. Perfect! Got the new head pipe and put the system on. After doing so, I had some difficulty getting the silencer and expansion chamber to fit right. I went to remove the silencer off the expansion chamber, and it was on so freakin tight I had to beat it off with a sledge hammer 5 hours later. I noticed when installing the silencer it sure was a tight fit. I even made sure to use the anti-seize too. I was po'd. I tried everything and that sob wasn't coming off. I knew something was wrong. After it finally came off, it was beat to hell and I didn't want it on my machine looking like it did. I went in and wrote a long email to SuperTrapp. I called the next day and spoke to the guy who sent me the head pipe, he is the one who got the email too. I told him I had to beat the living hell out of it to get it off the expansion chamber, and explained everything that went on. He said "Huh, that don't sound right". They send me an ENTIRE new system at no charge and didn't even ask for the old one back. No, if, and's, or but's, just sent a new one. I asked if he'd seen that before, and of course he said no. Don't know if he was lying or not, but he said they are hand made and someone prob. go it out of spec., especially since it came with a defective head pipe too he mentioned, and sent it through anyway. Guess I got a 4:30 Fri. pipe. Oh Well! All is good now, I really like the pipe.

Quick Reply: my LAKOTA review......for what its worth