Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

my LAKOTA review......for what its worth

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GAF,
I think if you need the parts soon, go ahead and check out Dennis Kirk. The prices are a bit higher, but yeah, they have the damn things in stock. In my opion having lower prices means nothing if I can not get my hands on them! Anyway, I am trying to find an online dealer for the 13T sprocket. Anymore comments on the DG exhaust? I really do not think the extra $80 for the supertrapp is worth it. I do not race, I only want some additional power.
Thanks, great comments, Lets keep it up and let each other know how we make out with the mods.
Lakota300CR

Old 09-28-2001, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

Lakota300cr,
I went to dennis kirk ordered every thing and on the last screen they then informed me that they were out of stalk as well.
I went to rocky mountain and ordered the jet kit and filter also a 13T sprocket (6.99@rm and 18.99@dk) and the super trapp exhaust.
All together it was 308.00
This included an additional 10.00 for a split delivery, that you have the option to split or not to split.
I too wanted to buy the DG pipe at one time and I read how anoyingly loud it was.
Rocky mountain sells them for 199.00 thats about 44.00 above the dg I found at dennis kirk.
Don't worry you have untill mid october before either gets one in take the time and save the 44.00 up.
I also seen both pipes on the 01 lakota and the super trapp is a much much better looking pipe.
By buying on line we save money by not paying taxxes. In my case I not only saved 91.00 in parts but an additional 27.00 on the 308 I spent. This is a savings of 118.00
Hay I have four kids I've been on this damn computer for hours trying to slip this one past the old lady.
I'm off-shore at work now and long as I get home before the MC bill gets in it will be all good

Has anyone found the goodyear tracker st's yet

Old 09-28-2001, 06:08 PM
Trailblazer

GAF,
Thanks for the advice. I assumed the parts were in stock at Dennis Kirk because it says so next to the item. That is too bad they are out of stock as well. Did you talk to a representative at Dennis Kirk or Rocky Mountain about getting the parts in by mid-October? My problem is that I now live in Costa Rica and need the parts delivered to a friend in the U.S. coming to visit me in the beginning of NOV. I will oder the parts if I know they are coming in in Oct. (by the way, I decided to go with the supertrapp exhust).
Lakota300CR

Old 09-28-2001, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Lakota300cr,
Yes I did talk to a young gal over at rocky mountain and she felt pretty strong about the jet kits coming in two weeks (she told me the date I forgot) and the pipe in mid october.
You can save 10 extra bucks by not splitting your dalivery.
I also see you can track your status with them online.

Costa rica huh!
Been thier many, many times.
How did you end up thier!

Old 09-28-2001, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

First off you can beat a 250ex in a drag. second i am sorry for the delay at the aftermarket places when i got my pipe skidplate swingarm and full chasis K&n filter they were all in stock in here within a week. I think this is a great post that we are helping everyone out. I wish aftermarket companys made grabbar bumpers a arm guards and graphic kits for the lakot sport. Maybe if the aftermarket products keep selling out they will make some more i have the money to spend on my quad just dont know what else to get besides tires go for all traxs great for dirt snow or mud maxxis makes great tires keep em coming.

Ridin Kawasaki till I die

Old 09-28-2001, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

The Dirtwheels article you are refering to is the February 99' issue. They resleaved the cylinder, ported and flowed the head, different cam and valve springs. The kit is $625(atleast in 99') FST listed the lakota hp at 34-35 and the Mojave at 37-38hp. They also changed shocks,tires and other stuff. I don't have a scanner so I'm sorry I can't help more. If any one is really interested you can order back issues if it's not sold out.

Also, I highly recomend Rocky mountain for almost everything. Especially tires. Dennis Kirk must have stock in rubber or something. Last year I ordered 20x11x10 shredders for my Mojave through Rocky Mountain and I got the package deal with Douglas polished .190 wheels and saved a ton compared to Dennis Kirk.

Old 09-28-2001, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Outstanding Mojave Dave!!! 34 hp would make a Lakota FLY!!!!! Reliability is another story of course.

Old 09-28-2001, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Well I have my order in and can't wait.
I originaly harped on wheel spacers, I new something was wrong but never realized it was coming from the push .
I've been looking for the tracker st's every were but haven't found them yet.
I checked out rocky mountain and they had some real good looking ones thier and at half the price of the 108.00ea I was quoted earlier. "Here it comes"
Butttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt, Thier sold out!

Old 09-28-2001, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

I think too many people put too much emphasis on the whole big bore kit and stroker thing. I plan on going with the oversize valves with a port and polished head work along with some white bros mid range cams for my Mojave. This should let me take a turn out on my Idle circuit raise the needle one clip and go up a few sizes on the main jet for a complete gain from idle to red line. You can make that cylinder as big as possable, but if you can't get any extra air/fuel in then out, you are defeating the purpose. I am a firm believer that the best gains come through the cylinder head. You don't hurt reliability either. My girlfriend and I are getting a Lakota in the spring and I am basically gonna go with the same mods I currently have on my Mojave, which is basically what they did on their Lakota project quad. Boy that Lakota would really look sweet with the same polished douglas wheels that I have on my Mo! Oh yeah, you guys looking for front tires. I went with Kenda Front Max through Rocky Mountain, they are reasonably priced and offer precise(maybe close to twitchy) steering. If you want to turn, these baby's will be much ablaged.

Old 09-28-2001, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Mojave 2000
Thanks for the tip on the tires (thier out) and the wheels.
To be honest I touched on the hole big bore thing a while back, well I got my hand slapped.
To be painfully honest, you'll have to do a little more to your carb after those mods but deffinately doable.
I shy away from the hole big bore deal because basicly, thier going to spend over twice what they buy the kit for just to tune it and far as reliability goes, FORGET IT.
Even if you get close you will quit before you get the hole power range worked out.
I've done many big bore kits as a super comp drag racer and you just don't understand.
Ok the man making your kit, well he's a machinest that think machanics and tuners are stupid exspacialy when they can't get the damn thing to perform like he promised after about a grand has left your pocket.
Well here I go again this is such a graet thread I'm going to stop here.
We have over 200 views in here I hope I don't ruin vit.

Quick Reply: my LAKOTA review......for what its worth