Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Help, Clutch swap on 97 Lakota !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 97 Lakota and something doesn't feel right. In first gear it feels like the clutch might be slipping. I have never changeda 4 wheeler clutch but am pretty sure I can do it, What tips can any of you vetrans give me. How can I tell if it is slipping? Whats the procedure?
Coy

Old 10-08-2001, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried adjusting the clutch yet.
If you haven't, look (while you sitting on it) by your right ankle. Thiers a cover thier remove it and on the 01 lakota thiers one nut with a slotted bolt in the midle.
Loosen the nut and turn in the slotted bolt untill you feel resistance, then turn out the slotted bolt untill you feel resistence, then tighten the lock nut back down.
This is what the 01 lakota owners manual says.
I did this it took me four times to do this. What I found was when I screwwed in on the slotted bolt it came to a stop. When I screwwed out on the slotted bolt as soon as you feel a little resistence stop.
Also what kind of oil are you running, Make sure its not a synthedic. Kawasaki has only certain types of oil you can use in the lakota.
I'm not going to get into a brand war here but penzoil 10w-30 will be a good oil. I'm sure theres other brands but bringing my kawi book to the bike shop this was the only oil on the shelf that met thier standards.
Also you will notice untill the transmission gets truly warmed up, it will slip the hole time and once it warms up it should lock-up pretty well.
I changed to a 20w-40 weight oil and it takes longer to get the clutch to come in than the 10w-30.
Try adjusting your clutch first you are the first one I've heard of that needs to replace the clutch.
I just talked with my buddy and he says on the 96 bayou 300 it has two bolts to adjust the clutch.