Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

The return of the Tecate

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The May issue of ATV action includes the photoshopped green rendering of a Suzuki z-400 that we all saw on the web-site in the last couple of weeks. The brief article confirms that we will see the announcement of a new "KZX400 Tecate-4" shortly-presumably accompanied by some real studio photography. The really interesting news was contained at the end of the article....
"Does this mean we won't be seeing the high-performance Kawasaki 650 V-twin we exposed in our November 2001 issue? No Way! Kawie is moving aggressively into the high-performance class the same way it attacked the four-by division over the last few years. Stay tuned to these pages for more info on their new Tecate X-400, Tecate V-650 and yet another possible entry into the sport category."

Enough to keep me interested but the hurry-up and wait directive still applies. I don't think anything will happen soon enough to keep me off a Cannondale Speed this summer but if the V-twin materializes it would look awfully nice next to it in my garage.-Keith

Old 04-10-2002, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

I have my fingers crossed for both. I just hope they used styling similar to the original Tecate-4.

Old 04-10-2002, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's about friggin time! Kawasaki's been so pathetic with "high performance" quads that their only entry lately has been the Mojave! Please! It's pretty sad when the bar on "performance" has been lowered so much that the Mojave is given that tag by default. I mean really! How many versions of a utility quad can one company possibly make without ANY OTHER class of quad to offer!?!?! How long could those overpaid excecutives at Kawi ignore this class for ATVs but not their proud KX Motocrosser lineup??!! It's gotten so bad that a lot of high performance after market companies don't even list Kawasaki as a brand that they service! Believe me! I have a Tecate 4! I know!! I just scowered magazines and websites looking for extended a-arms and finally found 3 companies. THREE!!!

However I must say that it's sad they needed borrowed technology from Suzuki to put out a High Performance 4-Wheeler. Aren't they working on any 4-stroke KX engines of their own?? They better be in light of this 4-stroke force-feeding we're seeing on the racing scene. At least it would authentic Kawasaki-bred technology. Morons.

Old 04-10-2002, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

And another thing.....

This quad better not embarrass the Tecate name!! Maybe they should call it a Kwadsport! HA!

Old 04-10-2002, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

i too am a proud tecate 4 owner, and i am getting very excited at the mere mention of a new kawi sport quad. and if kawasaki does things in the same fashoin as they always have these new sport quads will be a force to be reckoned with,once they set out to build something it's going to be the best in it's respective class you can bet on it.
kawasaki has always been known to sit back and wait til the time is right to light the world on fire.and once they come out with a new atv chances are there will soon be more to follow.i'm sporting wood just thinkin about it.
and all you other tecate owners if you guys need to find them hard to get parts for your tecate let me know,i have the entire industry wired and i can find anything.and please take a look at my tecate pics i think you will be pleased.i will have new ones posted on friday.

Old 04-10-2002, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

I am selling my Scram and the I think that new Kawi could be quad could be just what I need.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2002, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Hey KillerKX (JB) it's me JV over in PA. Funny you should mention parts. I've only found 3 companies that carry a-arms:Sprock (ofcourse!), Herman Racing in Philly and HSD Racing w/ prices ranging from $700 to $587. Know of any others?

Old 04-10-2002, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

Also JB, what kind of handle bars are on your white #65? they look different than anything I've seen.

Old 04-11-2002, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

A 4 stroke Tecate 4? SWEET! I can't wait for that to come out. KillerKX, if I need anything for mine, I'll let you know. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2002, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

JV i just got my a-arms built by herrmann racing, i just got them two days agothey are so sweet.+3+1 worth every penny.be sure to ask for brad and tell him i sent you.if you decide to get some.
there are two other companies that make a-arms for the tecate. burgards makes +2 and AVT racing in arizona makes +3 with a bumpsteer kit.i wouldn't buy the burgards they are junk, and the atv racing ones are nice but they won't sell them for less then $1100.
my a-arms are frickin awesome,kingpin balljoints with upper hiem joints.i will post a good pic of them on my web site for you to check out.
and my handle bars are pro tapers.i just put on a anti vibe steering stem today.it looks really trick also.i'll have awhole bunch of updated pics for everyones viewing pleasure very soon ,probably by friday.
and thank you to everyone who has seen my tecate and likes ,i love it dearly as you can probably tell already.and if anyone has any good ideas for it or just wants to say hi,thatb would be very cool. thanks again everyone for the support.