Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Team Tecate 4, HELP!!! My R beat my KXF!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drag raced my 2 quads with my cousin and the R won. We all know stock vs. stock the KXF is about 3-4 MPH faster. I mean I glad my R is fast but I favor the KXF (it's my baby!) and take pride in owning the fastest stock 250 ever built. We raced'em like 5 fives and it was the same result every time:

My 14/46 sprocket set (over stock 13/39)gives the tecate a huge lowend boost (which I love! but I do get some wild wheel spin) so the Tecate bolts out in front. By 3rd or 4th gear the R catches up and passes it. The upper mid-range and up are faster on the Honda... probably because of the FMF pipe. This a opposite of stock version where the Tecate is a bit slower off the mark but a huge mid to top jolt lets it rev to the moon and will almost catch a stock Banshee 350.

So what's wrong? check out the mods to each quad at the bottom let me know what you all think.

I have some ideas as to the problem but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. KillerKX already has some knowledge of my quad but for the rest...I just put on a new stock-size (the original was bad) Keihin PWK 35 and even though I'm using the original carb cap, the mechanic told me the cable, now, is too short and I'm missing the last 1/8 throttle (same size carb as before! AND the throttle responds immediately...no slack)hmmmm. Now the second theory is that even though I've been told the new sprocket set will add lowend without losing topend, maybe it actually is losing upper mid and top end speed because the powerband hits sooner. The third theory, given by Sprock Racing, is that the FMF pipe, though great on the Honda 250R, doesn't do crap on the Tecate 4. He says his pipe will adds real and noticeable mid-range and top-end.

Well those are my ideas. Of course, maybe the engine's just beat up and has lost some zip (I hope not!) Let me know guys, I gotta fix this!

Old 04-12-2002, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

there i'm the first to answer your post,how do you like that?but i already sent you an e-mail.
you need to go down 3 teeth on the rear and you need some motor tuning severely.
and you need to take off the carb and find why it's not getting the full stroke,i think your mechanic is stroking you.me and corey both agree on that one.we both think that your mechanic is a bisquit head.
and yes corey's pipe will give you a serious hit in the mid and top.but you will lose lowend with it.

Old 04-12-2002, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

Hahahaha! I guess I should have read this before I replied to your last email. I'll look into it.

Old 04-12-2002, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you drop 3 teeth from the rear. That will give you a 3.07 ratio, pretty close to the stock 3.00 ratio. It will still be geared lower than stock and will not give the top end. I think I would go to the stock gearing.