Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 should have drowned

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I was out this weekend for a couple of good runs putting the 650 through its paces.The highlight was a mudhole with a bad reputation for killin' quads.

Last time I was there my 500 quadrunner got towed home with an engine full of water.OK, so I should know better , right?

Anyway, the guys from the lake were razzin' me all weekend about how somebody in a Honda made it all the way through this hole that noone else can.I kept on sayiny that I wouldn't even waste my time trying.And I really wasn't going to , either.

So , we get there on Sunday's trail ride, and I kinda nose up to it, and I'm thinkin' "hey, that don't look so deep this year"

FAMOUS LAST WORDS!

Well i get in there, its up over the tires(no prob.) up to the racks(time for the diff lock) then its; uh-oh, right up to the bottom of the handlebars!!Only for a couple of seconds and I'm already hard on the throttle anyway.I got my big but over the back end enough to get the front up just enough to keep her breathing.Its only another 6 feet to the bank, I'm just praying it doesn't get any deeper,there's a log across the end and I just manage to get the front end over it, getting the front up on safe,dry ground.

When I opened the rear seat up to get the winch switch out stuff was floating away.It winched out easy as pie.Everbody was amazed,it didn't give a hiccup or slip the belt at all!!I'm not exagerating, it should have pulled water in the intake but somehow it didn,t.

Apparantly the guy on the Honda went through the other direction and didn't have the ledge that the log across the end made.I was satisfied with that performance and wasn't going to bother trying the other way after that.

Didn't mean to write a novel here, but I just had to tell you guys all about it.

Old 05-07-2002, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Good post, keep it swimming.

Old 05-07-2002, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

2 weekends ago, I saw the results of a 700 Polaris' battle with some swift currents in a rain swollen creek. NOT pretty! The Polaris was swept downstream 50 yds., turned upside down, and come up with the tires skyward. I left the owner and his pal drain EVERYTHING on that bike. I saw 2 gals. come out of the belt-cover drain!!!!! I did not see it happen, only saw it after it was winched out and "drying". I think that they never got it started. The 700 had 100 miles on it!