Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Anyone know if you have to jet you carb after you get a pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting a new Supertrapp IDS2 pipe for my 1997 Kawasaki Lakota, and i was just wondering if i had to re-jet my carb to get it to run right? The guy that i bought it off of said that i wouldn't need to mess with the jettings and i just wanted to know if it was true so i wouldn't have to mess with them? Hope someone can help me.

Old 05-14-2002, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

no you do not have to if you dont mind it running like shid but if you want that pipe to help at all you will need to go up on your main jet

Old 05-14-2002, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't want it to run like crap but i do want to run it to the fullest potential with the pipe on. So do you think that i should get the jet kit and use it and how much do you think it will help me? Also what jet kit do you think is the best one to purchase?

Old 05-14-2002, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

The jet kit is a must for optimal performance. You will get alot more from your pipe with the proper jetting. The needle that the kit comes with is also for better throttle response and better performance.

The DynoJet kit and the K&N jet kit are practically the same - either are fine.

Old 05-14-2002, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

hay man,

Yah when you recieve the pipe they will instruct you that the main must be upped.

Getting the dynojet kit graetly inhances the power and gives you the full bennifit of the pipe. You also want to get a filter as well. I personaly like K&N filters, but any high flow filter is WAY better for protection and flow over stock.

There is two ways you can order the jet kit. Go threw dennis kirk and buy the power up kit for about 115. Wich consist of a dynojet jet kit, K&N filter and a outerwares. Or buy it from rocky mountain atv seperately. The jet kit and K&N filter is about 80 or 85 bucks there.

The jet kit comes with instructions, a new needle, I think it was 5 mains and a drill bit. The drill bit is to drill out the slide lift hole wich creates quicker slide speeds wich gives you better accelleration.

At rockymountain atv get a 13T front counter sprocket (6.99) this is the single best mod for the lakota.

When you get this done the lakota will be nothing like it was and you will love it.

Old 05-14-2002, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does rejetting the carb after installing a pipe affect gas mileage?I ordered a supertrapp for my mojave and since my fuel mileage is pretty bad this has me slightly concerned.

I'm thinking that either it will make it worse due to more fuel or better since the engine has to work less to make the same amount of power.

A short ride for me is 50 miles,and I must carry spare gas.Hope I don't have to carry a whole gas station after I get my pipe and rejet it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-14-2002, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

that would be real tough to say. Of coarse it takes less fuel and effort to get the same power out of. What I can say about mine is I can run it probably 2 night practice session wide open and then race on sunday and still not be on reserve. I have a 2.2 gal fuel tank.

Old 05-15-2002, 05:34 AM
Range Rover

Hey Gaff:

I am going to be installing a K&N clamp on filter, along with a 4" racing series Supertrapp exhaust, on my Mojave. I am also going to buy a Dyno jet kit. I wanted to ask you about what kit I should get. In Dennis Kirk it list the Dyno Jet Kit as three stages. Which one do you think I should get 1, 2, or 3.

Thanks

Old 05-15-2002, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider

Hay hossman,

These days the stage 1, 2, and 3 can mean any thing. Infact they are realy a in shop type thing, were each shop has a deffinition for each stage.

Any way what the stages mean in jetting is, stage 1: Jet kit only. Stage 2: jet kit and after market filter in stock air box. Stage 3: jet kit with clamp on.

So knowing this you want a stage 3.

I also am going with a clamp on. I have no quarrels with the water integraty as I know the air box drains leak very badly and don't find my protection is any better keeping that junk air box.

I was talking with stebob the other day and he was telling me about his ride with vulcdog up in the badlands of indiana. Vulcdog has a clamp on on his lakota and stebob said he was amazed at the water he went threw with no drown outs. So this should put some minds at ease.

I haven't bought a clamp on yet, but my brother has a uni filter clamp on that he has sappose to have mailed to me last week. As every one knows I like the K&N better so I'll probably run the uni untill the K&N comes.

I like to try that 4" exhaust, will it bolt up to my existing header or will I have to get another header pipe? What was the cost?

I run the IDS2 quiet core, wich is fully gutted, with no disc at the time. I also have a mid-top porting, more to the top though. But my flow is limited to the air box. Although my rev is considerably higher over stock I can't get any more out of it with the stock air box still on it.

Old 05-15-2002, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

GAFF

By your last post if I put a after market filter in my Prairie then I need the stage 2 kit. I thought every one like NYROCK was just getting the Stage 1 and they have the after market filter and swiss cheese for a llid and a new intake hose that is larger. I plan on doing the larger intake hose I don't know about the swiss cheese lid but I'm confused as to which kit to by now.

Quick Reply: Anyone know if you have to jet you carb after you get a pipe?