Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Upgrading the lakota's semi-auto clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a KG factory after market clutch and clutch springs for my lakota. I stuck it in yesterday and thought I would let you know how it turned out and what I thought.

I originally wanted the barnett clutch kit but because of a back order issue my local parts guy turned me on to this KG factory clutch outfit. Friction plates (kevlar) were $24 and heavier springs were $8.

I recieved the clutch and so far it looks just like the barnett kit.

I removed the side case and noticed rite away the outer housing of the syntriffical (sp) clutch was very dark blueish black, so I knew some slipping was going on here. I removed the clutch, friction plates had about 50% ware and the steel plates looked like some slipping was starting to go on in there.

Removing the springs is easy, just 4 bolts and they are off. The syntriffical clutch needs to be removed to get the preasure plate and disc out of the clutch. The replacement clutch went back together easily. I cleaned all the steel plates and then rubbed them against the cement side walk in figure 8 fation. This helps with a bit better grip when you do this.

Then I putt the springs back in. The package said 20% heavier springs, but it looked more like 200% heavier springs, well I put them all in and the clutch was done.

I looked at the syntriffical clutch now and I didn't like how hot it was getting. So I pulled the inside of it out so I could look at the two contact points of the clutch and outer housing. The coating material on the clutch it self looked perfect, couldn't complain at all. The outer housing looked to shiney and glazed over to me. So I took out my dremmul with a buffer wheel on it and cleaned up the outer housing. The buffing wheel worked good but still to shiney and smooth. So I then took a drum sander bit for my dremmul and hit the outer housing with that. Cleaned it up nice, didn't leave a rough grinding type marks in it but more like a fresh fine machining apearence to it. So then I installed the clutch and moved on.

I test road it and the springs where way to stiff. Made the shifting real real notchy. I had to back way off the throttle to even shift but in a racing type run thier was no way to shift, the clutch springs are way to heavy.

I did notice the clutch does not slipp at all.

I talked with 98lakota (who has a manual clutch on his) before I started and he had told me that he couldn't even pull his clutch in with these heavier springs. What he said he did was put 2 heavier springs in and 2 stock ones in. He said this worked graet for him, so I'll probably do the same.

I'll call KG factory clutch today and see what they know about this.

All in all once I get past the to heavy of springs I think this is a good fair priced up grade for the lakota. I also think I did the most for it by cleaning off the glaze from the syntrifical housing.

Old 06-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

Those are some stiff springs. I ended up with two of the stock springs and two of the springs with the red paint on them. Works great and hasn't slipped yet. I just replaced the fiber plates in mine again with another set of the KG plates.

Old 06-06-2002, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

I just gotten a call from tony of KG factory clutches. He has told me that thier springs were built by special request of kawasaki. But (and a big but here) They have a miss print on thier reccomendation sheet and on the back of the friction disc box wich says, "for best results use with KGS-12 heavier clutch springs".

So tony is sending me today the correct springs wich are KGS-39, at no charge[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

98lakota, he is sending me 2 sets one for me and one for you. I'll send you your set thursday when I get home. The springs we have are for a 400EX, so give your springs to your brother for his new EX.

Old 06-06-2002, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Gaff, I'll be looking for them.

Old 06-17-2002, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

I recieved and installed the new springs. The springs are still a bit strong. For racing they are fine but for woods riding or racing they are still to tight. It won't let you shift when either heavy on the power or heavy engine braeking is going on. For mx style racing where you hold it pinned and try to rev out each gear they work fine.

I believe the correct set up for these springs would be like 98lakota has done just use 2 heavier springs and 2 of the stock ones. This is what I will do next time I Feel like pulling the side case back off, probably at the next oil change.

Well just thought I'd give you all a heads up!!