Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Is an Good Times Protection Plan needed for a 650?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Prairie 650 has about a month of warranty remaining. So far, I have had no real problems.
I was just curious if anyone has purchased one, or wished they had. I am assuming that with all of the electronics and servo motors that there is plenty to break on this thing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
James

Old 06-10-2002, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

I bought the ext. warranty because of all the electronic doo-dads. I am sure they are REAL expensive. Most likely the cost of 1 servo motor or one ECU(brain) would be MORE than the cost of the warranty! It is just another insurance policy......you may never need it, then again, you may need it ALOT!!! My dealer is very good. The service manager knows I take good care of my bikes. He's warranteed stuff that a lot of dealers wouldn't. THAT is what has kept me coming back for 20 years!!!!!!!
I noticed that you can buy factory warrantees online much cheaper than a dealer will sell it. Can't remember the address. Post the question in the forum, and someone should be able to turn you on to it. Good luck, ride safe.

Old 06-10-2002, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

I would most definately get the extended warranty for your P650. I got an extended warranty as soon as I purchased my P650 and I think it was a wise decision. Maybe nothing has gone wrong now, but 2 or 3 years from now who knows. An ATV gets really abused and for 300+ dollars the extended warranty could save you maybe thousands down the road. Do a search on ebay for the kawasaki warranty. I found a few people selling them there cheap. Happy riding

Old 06-10-2002, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Personally, I would recommend getting ATV insurance before getting the extended warr.

Old 06-10-2002, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

James I agree with buying one simply because of all the electronic gizmos on this machine...

Terry

Old 06-10-2002, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

But a warranty won't cover your handlebar electronics if you were to roll over and crush em (like I almost did). Insurance would cover it though.

I guess I have had my fair share of dealing with extended warrantees. Whenever I drop something off for warranty work, I get the same ol line, "It might be covered..." With insurance, you know it covered, minus the deductable. Also, an Extended Warr does not cover your ATV if it comes off a trailer and flopping onto the highway (and your auto insurance/home owners won't cover it either).

Old 06-10-2002, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

I have an extended warranty and insurance on my P650. True that the insurance will pay for certain things not covered under the extended warranty, but with a 500 deductable unless I total the bike I wouldn't make a claim. I also spend 30 bucks a year to insure my 2 place snowmobile trailer which I also use to tow my quad and they told me that as long as the ATV is on the trailer if anything happens to it its fully covered...

Old 06-10-2002, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

My deductable is $100.

Old 06-10-2002, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alot of dealers are offering "prepaid maintenance" programs instead of extended warranties.. The way it works is simple; your first six services as outline in your owners manual are paid for in advance and for paying this up front you'll receive a "free" extended (usually 36 month) warranty. This actually is a good deal IF you are going to keep the machine serviced, you aren't planing on moving in the next few years (the warranty is usually tied to the selling dealer) and you have had good luck with the dealer. The way the dealership makes money is most people that buy the pre-paid won't come back for their second, third, etc services... So if you are gonna keep the thing serviced I'd recommend it... It usually costs no more than the Kawasaki extended warranty too...

Old 06-11-2002, 12:31 AM
Range Rover

I bought the extended plan. I ride a lot, and the fuel pump is $470, just the price of the plan. I had Honda's plan on my 450-s and replaced the ring and pinion and rear axle at about 12000 miles and the carb at 15000 miles plus several wheel bearings, so that one sure paid for itself. It depends on the company though, and only time will tell if this was a wise choice. I keep everything insured also, as well as licensed for the highway and insured on the highway. My insurance company loves me!!!

Go Forth and ride.

98 450-s
17200 miles
stock
Titians

00 Kodiak
stock
Titians

02 Prairie
stock
2000 miles

Quick Reply: Is an Good Times Protection Plan needed for a 650?