Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 Belt Deflection

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parker650,
Read your post with interest. Back in April, I made a rather long post about belt slipping problems I was having. I had just returned from 2 months of riding in SW Arizona where it was extremely dusty. Very fine powdery dust to the point of being slick like baby powder. There were also 3 other 650's in the group of folks I was riding with and we were all having the same problem. Numerous trips to a dealer out there and phone calls to Kawasaki provided almost no help and no apparent concern on their part. After returning home and reading that other folks were having similiar problems got me to thinking perhaps the early and excessive belt slippage might be related to dust. I too, blew out copious amounts of very fine dust from the converter area of my 650. That brought up the potential benefits of installing a filter in the air intake for the converter. However, I have not been able to come of with a good and convenient way too do it. The air intake is under the front plastic and it would be quite time consuming to get to the intake to change a filter, even if I could figure out a good way to fabricate and install one. Pehaps nyroc could come up with a good idea for this. He seems quite capable of doing something like this to me. His website is outstanding with pictures, ideas, and tech tips.

Doing the belt adjustment is a piece of cake using the procedures nyroc details on his website. Give it a try.

Nyroc, start thinking about how to filter the air intake to the converter. I bet you can do it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-20-2002, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Diamond G Racing is already doing it, they make stuff a lot neater that I do anyway. I know I could hack something up, but after seeing what Don Grimes does, I am inclined to wait. I was all fired up on getting my own cdi made, or buying programmable system, but I am waiting for DiamondG.

Old 08-21-2002, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

nyroc,
Thanks for the info. Guess I will wait awhile too!!