Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

MORE INFO ON THE KFX700!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MORE INFO ON THE KFX700!!!

I love to shift quads manually also...however, most of us aren't Bill Ballance! There is no way that you can be as consistent as a CVT transmission at keeping the engine/tranny insync in the powerband. You simply can't miss a shift when the guy next to cuts too close ...or you guessed the wrong gear halfway up a hill. I was only suggesting that this will be an awesome GNCC type racing quad. Time will tell.

Old 12-31-2002, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MORE INFO ON THE KFX700!!!

Originally posted by: 1SickPred
Dont ge me wrong I think this thing will fly.I think it will do good on a dragstrip and in the sand dunes. But for where I ride it seems it would be as good as a lawn tractor on crack. I ride in the woods, tight trails, logging roads,well you get the idea. I think its a good open area machine and thats it ---it seems that you won't really have total control over it I mean you give it gas it goes and nothin else. you can't contol how it shifts you can't control where the cluch engages and you don't have engine braking. with a normal sport machine you control everything. Like I said I think the quad was a good idea but I would rather see a more convetional sport manual transmission. then I think it would be a great all around sport quad.
No offense, but I don't think you understand how a CVT works. There are thousands of combinations of springs and weights for the drive pulley that can give you control of how much stall the engine will have and what RPM that motor will shift out at. Its tunable just like an automatic car, you can have instant engagement or you can let the motor rev up to 5000 RPM's before it engages. Once engaged, if tuned right the motor will stay at the optimal RPM's as long as you're on the throttle, no up and down like on a manual-shift quad. There are also different combinations of helixes and springs on the driven clutch that allow even more tuning plus you can add a roller clutch to the driven to make the CVT shift even faster. Once dialed in, I imagine the 700 will be able to do anything you could ever want it to do.