Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

buying used 650, warranty transfer? any fees? Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 12:53 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying used 650, warranty transfer? any fees? Advice?

Is the spring hard to install? I am not that mechanical. Changing oil and plugs that's about it. The bike actually came with a K+N but it seems thin and flimsy to me.

Nyroc's sight rocks that's one of the reasons I have wanted I 650 for a while. It has such a loyal following, and you could spend under $600 bucks ( tires, black spring, cdi, jets, homebrew snorkel pipe mod and have a killer bike. I plan to do them all eventually Plus my cousin and one of my good friends has a p 650 so I have a little expericence with them. If your only gonna have one bike this is the one. I have rode about everything else out there. I was planning on saving to get a new one next year but this deal popped up.
Quick story:

The guy I bought the prairie from only sold it because he had a 2 year old boat he never took out, and he has been trying to sell it this boat for 6 months and can't get any decent resale value for it. The only marine dealer in my area is also a Yahama dealer, so he traded his boat to a new Grizzly 660, Raptor, and some accessories.

The funny thing is he's had these bikes for about two days, and he called me earlier today saying he misses the praire. He said he might try and trade the raptor back in at the kawa dealer on a 650. he's giving the grizzly to his wife. He told me half jokingly (but I think he meant it) that he liked the praire better that both of them. Because it was like riding both of them put together.

I live in southeast KY I bought the tires in pikeville. paid 203.xx and $24 to get them put on at a local tire place ( I live 30 miles south of pikeville)

East Ky tire was cheapest. but I would have to pay tax made them 196.xx. its 40 miles away so it was not worth the savings for the drive.

If you ride hatfield/mccoy pikeville is 30 miles west of williamson WV. I only live about 1.5 hr from H/M have never rode it yet. My friends and I can't seem to get on the same schedule. We had a ride planned last year and had to call it off.

If you have a big group ride there let me know. I would love meet up and ride it with some people who know the area.

How about the exhaust mod do you take it off the bike to do that. What did you cut the end off with? a hacksaw?

Did you buy the racing snorkle? drill your airbox? or just rig up a raditor hose or something.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

letcher---- MAN, If I was 30 mile from Hat/McCoy trails, I'd LIVE THERE on the weekends!!!!!!!!
The black spring isn't too bad to put in, but if you have NO experience ,maybe you better pay someone to do it. It IS worth the $$$ !!! You've got good tires. Spend $50 and get the Diamond G Racing snorkel. I recommend Twin-Air or a UNI-filter(about $22.00) for the dusty season. The K&N isn't that good of a filter for dust. Just buy the 1 stock jet that nyroc lists, and you be 'jammin mon!
Sounds like the former owner of your bike didn't know WHAT the he!! he wanted! Wonder if he'll sell me that new Grizz 660 for $4K !!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
I'll be posting my rides in the ATV Time forums. Hat/McCoy has it's own forum in there. Check it out. I/we go down there about 3 times a year. We ride Wayne Nat'l. Forest(Athens District) in S.E. Ohio ALL THE TIME.
It is MUCH easier to remove the muffler to cut the end off. IMO it is worth the extra effort to get a nice looking weld.
GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-21-2003, 01:53 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for all your insight. I am going to order the black spring tomorrow. I drilled out the front part of the airbox lid today. Not got to try it out yet. I am going to try to make my own snorkle if I can find the right raditor hose. Can always order one if it does not work out. Also I am going to attempt the muffler mod soon as I have time.

I will check Atv time, but keep me in mind when you put the next H M ride together.

Old 02-21-2003, 07:51 AM
Pro Rider

letcher--- How far away is Charleston WVA from you? There is a ride being put together in the Sanderson Wilderness area on March 2. WVBartMan is organizing it. He has a group of P-650 riders that ride about every other Sunday. It'll take me all of 3 1/2 hrs to drive down there from central Ohio, but I am told it is WELL WORTH the trouble. The weather is the main factor lately.
If you are interested, I can P.M., or email you. Let me know.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Range Rover

Thanks, for the invite. Charleston is about 3 hrs from me. I can't make it next weekend, but please keep me in the loop when you go on these rides, we are up for going any where within about 3 or 4 hour drive.

Have a good weekend.

Old 02-26-2003, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

Where can I purchase black spring from ?
What is reason for this newer spring ? I am have 26 mudrunners on all 4

650 is great with cycle country 72 inchplow blade but not when we got 2ft of snow last week.

Old 02-26-2003, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider

Tampa--- The black spring, put simply, saves your $100 drive belt. Less slippage. It also engages at a lower rpm, and gets you "out of the hole" quicker. It is great for tight ,technical woods riding. PERFECT for those with big tires and/ or a snow plow!
Nyroc's "650 knowledge base" has installation instructions, and tips on make your own tools to service the clutch, among other units. Check it out.