Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

buying used 650, warranty transfer? any fees? Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying used 650, warranty transfer? any fees?

It has the 4 year extended warranty, will Kawaskaki charge me any type of transfer fee to put the warranty in my name?

Also I was wondering if I am paying too much? Got to let him know something tomorrow.

The deal is a 02 650 with 92 hrs 420 miles, very good shape, winch, handguards, aftermarket brushguard, 4 yr warranty, original tires.

$4,800 is the best price he will give me.

It seems like an ok deal to me, since I know the owner and the bike has primarily been used for hunting.

Old 02-16-2003, 06:55 PM
Range Rover
Default buying used 650, warranty transfer? any fees? Advice?

$4800 is a pretty good price.

Considering a 03 will cost ya $5899.
Add: Winch $200 or more
Add: Handguards $30
Add: Aftermarket brushguard $80
Add: 4yr extended warranty $350

Total: $6659

You're looking at saving about $2000 on purchasing this used one. I would probably take him up on the offer. I would test drive it a bit and make sure everything seems fine with it. Make sure he has done the initial 10hr/60mile service.

The 4yr warranty is transferrable for no fee from Kawasaki. You can visit their website and look under FAQ if you want to see it in print. It is transferrable for no fee.

Once you get it, spend another $300-$400 on new tires.. Because the factory tires are horrible and then another $35 on the Black driven spring and you will be in love. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Range Rover

I bought it. Now if only the weather would straighten up so I could ride it.......

Thanks for the info about the warranty I went to the kaw web sight. One thing I did not understand though. If you buy the warranty the day you buy the bike, does it start right then? Or does the 4 yrs start after the original six month one is up? For a total warranty of 4.5 yrs.

I plan on getting tires and the racing snorkle this week. Can't wait to ride.

Old 02-16-2003, 09:20 PM
Range Rover

It starts after the initial 6-month warranty. So yeh, a total of 4.5 years from the original date of purchase. It is an extended warranty plan that starts from the end of the original 6-month period.

Old 02-16-2003, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

That sounds like a heck of a buy, just now broken in. Must have putted around, I now have 450 miles with 55 hours. My four year warranty transfers for nothing, gotta love worry free riding.

Old 02-17-2003, 01:27 AM
Trailblazer

Beware, the sign of low miles per hour might mean hard riding. I know that when I go out for a days riding, I may only travel five miles, but those miles are anything but easy. I'd have the dealer open the belt housing so that you can check the condition of the belt and sheaves. Look for signs of rust and/or lack of maintenance. Also check the plugs, fluids, boots, underbody, and air filter.

Old 02-18-2003, 12:27 AM
Range Rover

good idea about the dealer. When I get a chance to take it over to him I i will do that. Closest dealer is about 40 miles away.

I feel good about the general condition of the bike for a couple of reasons. It still has the original tires on it, they have never been plugged, also the rims are perfect no bends or dings. As bad as these tires are supposed to be he must have took it easy on it. The guy is a huge deer hunting freak, and he seems to have used it mostly for hunting.

Old 02-18-2003, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Get some real tires for that puppy, and GO PLAY in the snow! Try: www.4atvtires.com these folks used to call themselves East KY. Motorsports, they changed their name recently.
You got a good price on that bike, with the warranty. I think that there MAY be a small transfer fee on Warranty. $25.00 or so sticks in my mind.
PS--- The miles/hrs look to be right if the bike was used for brisk trail riding. Running strip mine roads, etc. AVG was 4.62 MPH.

Old 02-18-2003, 07:49 PM
Range Rover

Had some bear claws put on today. Since I don't go mudding very often I stayed with the stock size.

Just wondering will the Black spring help a lot with stock size tires? Everyone says it helps you out if you have bigger tires.

I was thinking about getting the black spring and holding off on the snorkle. Too broke right now for both. The snorkle seems to be expensive for a plastic tube.

Can't I just drill a bunch of holes in the Airbox and get similar performance?

Also I was wondering if anyone ever drills a big hole out in the panel under the handle bars an puts a screen in there. It seems like that would really improve air flow and maybe have like a ram air effect.

Old 02-19-2003, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider

DO THE SPRING, You will notice the difference immediately! The best $25 you can spend on your new "baby"! As for the intake, I recommend a Twin Air or Unifilter element and "nyroc's" muffler mod. SEE: "nyroc's knowledge base" He posts in here ALL THE TIME. LOTS of tips and info in there. Most of the stuff is homemade, and cheap to do. BTW--- You made a good choice in tires, IMO!!!! They should go well in the snow, too. How about a report on 'em? R U near "Big Rock"/Maysville? I get down there about twice a year, beats riding the sofa!
Where did you get the tires, online, or local?
Enjoy your new ride!

Quick Reply: buying used 650, warranty transfer? any fees? Advice?