Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

HELP WITH BLACK SPRING?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP WITH BLACK SPRING?

I ordered a black spring from mike penland and i am not sure where it goes. i have looked at nyrocs page and i am a little confused. i have the cover off and i see two main parts one on the left and one on the right. the one on the right has a spring you can see and feel of course. is that the spring i need to remove? and do i need any special tools for the black spring. i have a big ride tomorrow and i would like to get this on. please help!

thanks

Old 02-21-2003, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

the black spring goes in the one on the left. you need an impact wrench and nyroc's spring compressor, which you can get the parts for about $5 at your local hardware store. just follow his instructions and you'll be fine its real easy

Old 02-22-2003, 12:40 AM
Trailblazer

nightryder, do you remember how big your black spring was? the one i have is 2.5diameter, and 6 inches long. i remember that mr. penland said that i remove those 8 10mm bolts to install the spring he sent me, but when i have everything off it looked to big to be the right one. so i put stocker back in.

Old 02-22-2003, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer

If you removed the 8, 10mm bolts, that means you've disassembled the primary pulley. This would be where the red spring goes. However, you have the black spring. That goes on the other one.

The secondary pulley requires a 27mm socket and a means to hold the pulley still while you loosen the bolt. You can use a rachet extension (shown on NYRoc's site), but I didn't want to take the chance of breaking my pulley. I went ahead and ordered the Kawa tool designed to do the job, instead.

The primary spring is designed to be smaller than the secondary, as you've already observed.

Old 02-22-2003, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks alot FrozenAK that helps a ton. i was really confused because mr. penland told me to take off the primary pully.
i think i will be able to get it now.
i really appreciate your help, thanks again.

Old 02-22-2003, 01:00 AM
Range Rover

I just put my black spring on this afternoon, I ran across the same questions because I was also told this was the primary spring, but after closer observation I realized in went on the back pulley. If you don't have the compressor tool, and a special pair of plyers (to get the clip off to realease the spring), you had better have someone who knows what they are doing help you. I finished it only with a friend at a tire store's help (he had the tools I needed to finish the job). Any questions just ask!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2003, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks meangreen. it was throwing me for a loop. i think i might just have the dealer put it on for me. i dont want to hurt it or mess anything up.

Old 02-22-2003, 03:12 AM
Trailblazer

I wouldn't pay the dealer to do this one. Even if you wanted to buy the OEM tools necessary to do the job, you'd only be out the following:

Kawi part #57001-1101 - hook wrench - $74.26
#57001-1343 - pulley holder - $85.07
#57001-1472 - pulley holder attachment - $12.41
#57001-1483 - arbor guide - $50.47
27mm socket (1/2"-drive preferably)
long, flat-head screwdriver to remove the pins

You'll also need a small amount of moly disulfide grease for the pins that hold the two sheaves together. I used a vise to hold the arbor guide still while I compressed the spring to remove the circlip, but you could use a pair of vice grips in a pinch.

I know that NYRoc has a much cheaper solution on his page, but I wanted the real tools. I also didn't want to use a socket entension to hold my pulley still while I tried to get the bolt off. Damaging the pulley would have cost much more than the cost of tools to repair.

Granted, this is about $220 in tools, but having them will allow you to properly disassemble your secondary pulley for routine maintenance. Besides, it'll cost you at least an hour's worth of labor to have the dealer install the spring for you. I figured that the extra money would be recouped later on. Besides, by removing and re-installing the parts myself, I know they were done right.

If you haven't bought it already, you should buy the KVF-650 service manual from your local dealer. It shouldn't be more than $35 or so, and it's well worth the money. It describes the whole procedure in very good detail. It also shows just about everything else you would need to know with plenty of detail and pictures.

Old 02-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

I just got the service manual. It was $50 on buykawasaki.com.