Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Snow driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 01:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow driving

Bear claws on a 650 suck in snow so bad!!! Mine are also as wide as you can get them so that doesn't help much. Right now the only thing that moves my 650 in the snow is the power but those tires sure do not grab very good. I also got over 14 inchs of ground clearance (except for the rear end). Later everyone.

Old 03-17-2003, 06:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default Snow driving

Scrode:
I love my BearClaws in snow. I think it largely depends on what kind of snow your riding in...powder and evrything pretty much sucks. Hardpacked and wet snow, they hook-up fine. I have done alot of research on tires before I bought mine, and the overwelming attitude is that BearClaws are hard to beat in snow. The more agressive the tire such as Mudzillas or something are bad cause they dig too much. I see that you live in Saskatchewan... you have cold dry winters correct? Most likely you ride in dry powder-like snow. I do not think you will find any tire that will significantly outperform the BearClaw in snow. I ride with all kinds of bikes and all kinds of tires on them...for me the BearClaw can't be beat. My bike do get through stuff a little faster and with more authority than just about everything else I've ridden with. Of course the power helps...but you still have to get it to the ground.

PS: What size tires do you have? Mine are 26-9-12(front) 26-12-12(rear)

ROB

Old 03-17-2003, 10:07 AM
Trailblazer
Default Snow driving

In wet so like in the past two they work pretty good but when it was -20 in that snow i did not like them at all. The tires that come on the polaris are a very goood stock tire for snow.

Old 03-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Snow driving

Tire pressure? the lower the better in snow. Normally stockers are "softer" that's why the may appear to be better. The widest bearclaws should be good in the snow keep in mind you are on a heavy quad so it will sink a bit more. Spinning doesn't help and the first quad would have a hard time in power and the last quads will have a hard time when the trail comes soft no matter of what tires are on your bike. I run 28 589 in the winter and they are great.

Old 03-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default Snow driving

I noticed I my front tires diggin in too easy in the snow. I think you need to get wider fronts if you snow a lot.

I have experienced a few different tires in the snow. Claws, runners, stockers, zillas, and surtracks. They all sucked if the snow was too deep because they were so narrow. The fronts dug down and began to make the nose plow the snow.

Old 03-17-2003, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default Snow driving

I was riding with a friend on the snowmobile trails last week.. He had a brand new polaris 2wd & had stock 489 AT's. He had a heck of a time getting anywhere on those tires, so I decided to throw mine quad in 2wd & with my bear claws I ran circles around him . Although not having allot of experience with other tires, I was very impressed as to how much better they perfored then did the 489's in the snow...

Old 03-17-2003, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default Snow driving

i have 27" bear claws on my 02 650 and love them in the snow the problem is that they are wide
there for they are grabbing the sides of the trails alot
the trails here are packed down so that there is more than a foot of snow wall on each side of
the trails so grabbing the side of the trail can be rough sometimes

Old 03-17-2003, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default Snow driving

HEy there guys, the thing i i dont like about my tires the most is i put 10 inch wide in the front and when you are in snow they do not cut very nice, they seem to be pushing all the time, dont get me wrong i love my bear claws on hard pack and in light to medium mud. Later all