Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Throttle hard to push

Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle hard to push

My kids quad has been running great since I got some help last time with the carb issue, but he has a really hard time pushing the throttle in, in fact all the kids who have ridden it do.

I eliminated the spring on the thumb throttle from being the issue, and the cable is nice and smooth if I remove it from the carb.

All thats left is the spring on the carb itself. I remember reading a long time ago that you had to shave the side of the spring down, not cut it or anything, to make it less resistive. Im not even sure how to remove that spring, it looks like the linkage thats attached to it may be pressed on?

Any advise?

Kasea KS125 4 Stroke

Old 06-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Try unscrewing the top of the carb to remove the slide. That's where the spring is.
I'm not expierienced with that quad but all carbs are mostly the same.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I will have to play with it, working from home today, maybe I can post a pic.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

It could be the spring. I've seen slides get bound up before tho.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here is a pic of my carb, thats the spring that is too hard for the kids to push for long.

Ideas?

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2...arbSpring1.jpg

Name:  CarbSpring1.jpg
Views: 1821
Size:  73.3 KB

Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

There should be a nut on the other side of that shaft so you can remove it and get to the spring..

Have you tried lubing the cable?

I remove them from the throttle(or brake/clutch handle)... cut the corner of a sandwich bag and slip it over the cable... tape it to the cable.. electrical tape works best.. especially when you go to remove it...spray some WD-40 in the bag and work the cable until it flows out the end...

Old 07-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Other side looks like this, and yes, I lubed the cable up until it flowed out the other side. Cable moves nicely, the spring in the thumb throttle offers very little resistance, so that spring is the only thing left to mess with. I believe the slides are fine, I had the carb out some 8x trying to get it running, its been pretty well cleaned.

Can I cut it shorter when I get to it? Ive heard they should be filed thinner rather than cutting, but im not sure.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2...arbSpring2.jpg

Name:  CarbSpring2.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  70.0 KB

Old 07-07-2010, 01:45 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Gotta be a nut under that cover.. probably a seal to keep grit out...

I know on a compression spring if you cut coils the spring stiffens... dont think it would happen in this application but you never know. filing the spring thinner is the best way but seems time consuming..

Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ive read alot, some people say cutting works great, others say it changes the ratio only.

I think I can shave a "side" of the spring and not have to do the entire thing from what I read. Unfortunately nobody is very clear on the subject.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by arcsum68
Ive read alot, some people say cutting works great, others say it changes the ratio only.

I think I can shave a "side" of the spring and not have to do the entire thing from what I read. Unfortunately nobody is very clear on the subject.
If it was me I would cut off 1 coil at a time...trying it after each cut.... should be able to feel a difference moving it with your hand... when it seems lighter connect the cable and check...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle hard to push