Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

2006 FA-70 ATV-A won't start (BUYANG)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 FA-70 ATV-A won't start (BUYANG)

My son's ATV was running like a champ and started stalling and then would not start. Thinking it was the carb I removed the carb and cleaned it. Now the ATV will still not start. Can someone give me some pointers on where to begin?

Old 09-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

When you say it won't start, will it turn over? Getting spark? Fuel getting to carb? Not sure, but I think that particular manufacturer only had 4 strokes, so a valve adjustment might be needed as well.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

It does turn over and I believe it is getting fuel to the carb. Making adjustments to the valve... is this something that needs to be done by a professional? How do I determine if the valve needs adjusting?

Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Not familiar with that brand so I'm speculating as to what type of valve set up they have. Being made as cheaply as they can, I'd have to say it's valve springs and not shims. That's a good thing because it is something that you can do yourself if you're handy with a wrench.

I'll try and see if I can find the specs for that and if I can find a step by step guide.

Can you post a picture of the quad? There are really about 5 manufacturers, and it seems about 100 different brands being sold on the same 5 platforms. Maybe someone will recognize it and can chime in.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

They raided my computer speakers, so I can't really tell you how good this link may be for help. But you can search youtube and see if you see a similar motor to what you have. You'll see it's not that hard. But I don't know what your valve clearance should be.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

It does have a spring. It has been setting for a little while since it stopped running, so I pulled the engine and carb to clean everything up and reasure that everything is in good shape. I removed the top screw to see what I believe is the valve spring. It is a bolt and washer over a spring. I am not a mechanic, but have personally worked on my motorcycles in the past a good bit so I have the basic knowledge, just need steered in the right direction. Do you know how I attach a photo of the atv on here?

Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

That's definitely one of the valves.

Two ways to post pictures. If you have them saved to a site like photobucket or flickr, you right click on the picture, then click on properties. Highlight and copy the properties then come back here to the reply section. You should see an icon that looks like this just above the reply area. Click on that, and paste the properties you had copied.

Depending on the settings you have in your User Control Panel (UserCP), below the reply area you may see an area titled Additional Options. In that, click on Manage attachments. Then click Browse, and find the picture you want to post from the files on your computer. Double click that picture and then click on the Upload tab. Once it's uploaded you can close the window.

The first way will actually post the full size picture in the reply, the second way has it as a small attachment you can scroll over and enlarge.

Photobucket and flickr are blocked here at work, but its the same principal for any picture you see on the web. I just google atv, found a picture and followed the steps in the first part for the full size. The attachment is one from my computer.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 FA-70 ATV-A won't start (BUYANG)-kfx1.jpg  
Old 09-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I will try and get some photos on here.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

The videos are very helpful, the first one with the valve adjustment looks almost exactly identical to my engine.