Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

89' Yamaha breeze clutch problem ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89' Yamaha breeze clutch problem ??

I am working on a 89 breeze 125 for my nephew. It will start and idle fine, but when you give it enough gas it makes a terrible sound from the clutch area, and it wont move. it tries to move but it doesn't, when you put it in gear it kind of lurches forward, but thats it. I took off the clutch cover to see if i could find something obvious. The clutch looked fine so i took it off and spun it by hand, seems fine, but I know that I cannot spin it nearly as fast as the motor does. I dont see anything that could be making the noise though. It will idle fine and it's like when the centrifugal clutch gets enough rpm to start spinning, thats when you hear it. I know i'm babbling, sorry, just been messing with this thing all day and cant figure anything out....please help !!! Thanks in advance, Dennis.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Start taking it apart and see what's going on.
Looking at a parts fiche will help you know what things should look like.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks lt80, I plan on pulling the engine and splitting the cases. I really feel like it's in the transmission. The noise sounded like it was coming from the centrifugal clutch but i took that off and see nothing obvious, no broken springs or nothing loose. The only other possible cause would be the transmission....right ??? I dont know what else to check other than that. Any other ideas ???

Old 03-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Ummm, 1 simple thing maybe..Is the front sprocket in good shape? I ran one till all the teeth were gone.LOL
It lurched and made noise.
Other than that, I guess your into the motor.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey I never looked at that, it's hard to see the front sprocket but it's worth checking out. Wouldnt that be something if that was the problem. sprocket and chain set and he's off !!!! somehow I doubt it though, dumb luck doesn't shine on me and I'll probably end up in the motor.

Hey LT80 i do have a manual downloaded so i can look at the pics and zoom in on some of the parts and I dont see anything out of place or worn in the clutch area. Good idea for the fiche, Thanks.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

LT80, I checked the sprockets, they're fine. But while I was out there I did discover something else. I had told you before that when I put it in gear it kind of "lurched" and that was it, well, if I put it in reverse gear it just dies. I can put it in nuetral start it right back up, but the second it goes in reverse, the engine dies. I dont get it, but I think I'm going to have to open it up to find it. I was trying to avoid that !!!!

Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

When you put it in reverese on my breeze you have to hold the left brake handle in real tight or yes it will die on you. That is normal. there must be a sensor that tells the motor that you have the brake pulled in for safety reasons I assume, but on mine just holding the brake a little or normal tension for braking doesnt seem to due, I have to hold it real tight to keep it from die ing . hope this helps youthere.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Hey LT80 i do have a manual downloaded so i can look at the pics and zoom in on some of the parts and I dont see anything out of place or worn in the clutch area. Good idea for the fiche, Thanks.

Hey I know im not the guy ur talking to but hears the closest year i can get but it should all be made and look the same regardless of year.

My Yamaha Prompt - Owners Manual

Old 07-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by twiztidpod
I am working on a 89 breeze 125 for my nephew. It will start and idle fine, but when you give it enough gas it makes a terrible sound from the clutch area, and it wont move. it tries to move but it doesn't, when you put it in gear it kind of lurches forward, but thats it. I took off the clutch cover to see if i could find something obvious. The clutch looked fine so i took it off and spun it by hand, seems fine, but I know that I cannot spin it nearly as fast as the motor does. I dont see anything that could be making the noise though. It will idle fine and it's like when the centrifugal clutch gets enough rpm to start spinning, thats when you hear it. I know i'm babbling, sorry, just been messing with this thing all day and cant figure anything out....please help !!! Thanks in advance, Dennis.
Stick a magnet into the oil fill and see if you come up with any steel from broken gears.
They are quite simple inside (from a guy who learned way to much about a moto 4 80 b4 it finally ran right) Manuals can be often be found on tradebit.com for $5
I have the 1987 80 one, might be close to