Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 clutch help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 clutch help

Hello all!

I'm very new to the 4 wheeler game and really need help! I just bought a 1988 lt80 for my son, this thing had been sitting up for some time so it needed work! The guy i bought it from said the top end was just done and he gave me the receipts for the parts but no mods were done like porting etc. after he did the top end the starter went out so he parked it and bought his kid something newer. Anyway i put a new starter, start relay batt. to get this thing running BUT when it turned over the wheels spun, i took it apart and found both clutches were bad, i bought a used front clutch and a new rear clutch, now it starts and runs but has no speed! I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it really good but can't get it to idle properly, and while its running its really noisey around the clutch area. I also installed a Uni filter, now my questions: i know the front clutch has 6 rollers, i know they need to be round (no flat spots) but what i don't know is are the rollers greased? and if so what kind of grease? as for the rear clutch: I took it apart to install the new clutch and found the pulley surfaces (where the belt rides) rusted so i used a scotch bright pad on a die grinder and removed the rust but theres some pitting on the surfaces, how smooth do these surfaces need to be? for the belt to work correctly? My final question is the carb. if i understand right the screw on the side of the carb. is for idle adjustment? if so i get little or now responce when i try to adjust it! Jeeze i can repair a 20 million dollar jet but this thing is kicking my butt! any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-17-2003, 01:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LT80 clutch help

Hehe,,,
OK ,,lets start with,,The rollers: They need a high temp grease. Suzuki packs the frt. clutch full of it.
The rear clutch's:: You did a fine job of sanding [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] They should be fine. I would squeeze the rear clutch's to see if they are compressing and releasing ok,,lubrication may be needed (left hand thread nut [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )
Carb: Always clean the carb fully (if you havent) remove the jets and the brass where the needle sits.
We'll go from here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 clutch help

I really appreciate the reply! I have removed the carb. and completly disassembled and cleaned it, the rear clutch does spring back when i slide the pulley, i need to pull apart the front clutch and see if theres any flat rollers or grease, could no grease on the rollers be causing the noise i'm hearing? Anyway let me get that clutch apart, i will get back with more details!