Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help with clutch set-up on LT80

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with clutch set-up on LT80

I just traded our Breeze on a 03 LT80 it has a FMF pipe and silencer. It also has after market tires that are 16 inches tall. It produces good power and screams pretty good once it get rolling. I would like it to hit a little harder on the bottom end it doesn't take off as hard as I feel like it should. I also want to put 18 inch tires back on the back to gain back a little ground clearance. But I'm affraid that will make it launch even softer. I also need to know were to look for info on modding the air box and filter, it still has the stock set up. Anyhelp would be great, I am trying to learn about these little 2-strokes on the fly here. I know I have seen some out at the dunes that really get after it and want to make this one rip too.

Old 04-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 16" tires are used typically for racing as it lowers the center of gravity. We use that size for TT racing. Have you checked to see if the (2) (power) restrictors have been removed? 1) is in the exhaust (disconnect pipe @ cylinder) and the other is in the carburator (un-screw slide, it's under the carb top above the slide). If there both removed then you might want to have the clutch's re-worked. Check with LT80 on this site, he can do the work. Also check your gearing. Stock I believe is 10 tooth counter, 22 tooth rear. With smaller rear tires you need to have changed out to either a smaller rear or larger front sprocket to compensate for the change in tire size. As for the Air Box. I removed mine and bought the DG carb setup. It's basicly a (larger) Kein carb, insolator block, intake hose and a K& N filter. It bolts right up using the stock throttle cable. I also changed the pipe to a CT pipe. The combo of the carb setup and the pipe woke it up alot.

Rude Dog

Old 04-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

I found that the biggest problem was some hardened mud on the choke cable under the **** wasn't letting the choke release all the way. Tha gas was also bad dumped the gas and put new in cleaned and lubricated the cable. Now the little beast gets after it real good. I might check the clutch and pull two rollers, I don't know what effect that has I know next to nothing about the clutches and how they work. I know that for trails and the sand we need to buy some bigger rear tires. The little 16s just spin now on gravel or loose surfaces. They dig straight down until the quad is burried rightaway in the sand. But they had a blast ripping donuts and roosting gravel. Checking into a set of rims and rear tires today. Will probably go look at the clutch too. Thanks for the imput. Was the carb kit expensive and do you have problems with water on wet trails.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

What does that carb slide restrictor look like? Does anyone have a picture.

Old 04-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DirtVH: We don't run the ATV in wet area's. We only run it on (dry) TT race tracks. As far as creek or water crossings, small ones at slow speeds would probably be okay. I wouldn't recogmend much depth or speed with a open filter set-up. You could make a shield around it to protect it from direct splashes.

JDogs66: If I remember correctly, the restricter should be round, cadium plated (goldish/green). Ihe diameter is aprox that of the slider and about 1/4-3/8" thick. Un-screw the carb top and if it's there you should see it as noted in my previous post.

Rude Dog

Old 04-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

Ok I was reading this artical on clutches this should help in tackeling the clutch.http://www.off-road.com/atv/kidskorner/clutching1.html
Its alot of reading three articals with realy good explanations and diagrams that i feel are worth keeping.
I will be removeing 3 weights in a few weeks. Here are some pics of my sons LT80: http://mysite.verizon.net/4littleflowers/LT80.htm

Old 04-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

I pulled the carb top off and cant find anything like you are discribing. so it must have been removed allready. Thanks