Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

CBS Evening News

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 06:35 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CBS Evening News

I wonder about price too Glimp. Don't know if it would be cost prohibitive or not.

From a racing point of view, it shouldn't matter. You get a lighter engine capable of more power. Don't know how that would translate into the real world though where most people seem to prefer the durability of a 4-stroke.

Sheez, just pricing gas trimmers has shivers going down my spine. Compare the cost of 2-strokes to 4-strokes. OUCH!

Old 06-28-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBS Evening News

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
It is a bad thing. Especially considering the technology exists to lower emmisions. Good article if you're interested:www.eindiancompanies.com/pdf/comeback.pdf
Looks a lot like its based on the old model airplane glow fuel motor technology to me.

If you could reduce the irritating noise, and the blue exhuast and smell - it would be better received. Two of the biggest complaints is ATV noise and smell. 2 strokes are the what is driving those issues and you cannot convince anyone in politics who has heard or smelled one - that it isn't a problem.

Old 06-29-2004, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default CBS Evening News

We are losing because they are much more organized and we as enthusiasts take it laying down. When nobody speaks up to complain or challenge these groups, the authorities figure that it must be OK to get rid of something... I for one am not about to take it in the shorts without a fight. I may not get my way, but at least I didn't go down without making my point.

What we are finding is that the BLM is listening to these tree hugger orgainzations... and many times the data they present is either bogus, or so mis construed that even the BLM doesn't understand. Thanks to people like the Blue ribbon coalition, they take the time to investigate the data presented, and where appropriate, they challenge it in court... and they are winning. We are not winning them all that is for sure, but they are making a difference.

The number one reason that areas are being closed these days are due to irresponsible practices that either are a nuisence to others, injuries caused by negligence, and or damage the environement... All of which can be controlled by self policing, education and just plain common sense. But changing the attitudes of people is like pulling hens teeth... That doesn't mean we roll over either... We need everyone's help in this if ATV's are going to remain an option. If not, we will be relegated to riding in our back yards.

It is easy to be a cynic in this... but don't give in....

Old 06-29-2004, 05:02 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Default CBS Evening News

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
changing the attitudes of people is like pulling hens teeth.......
I think that's why I've ended up like I am. It can get pretty frustrating.

BUT, I can respect your efforts Dragginbutt. I really can!

Old 06-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default CBS Evening News

Youre right Draggin. ATV use is a tiny portion of polution as a whole in this country. I heard a statistic (it could be bogus but it sounds realistic.) that said all the ATV's in America don't polute any more than a single city of 250,000's car population. Add in that what polution they do cause is spread over the most rural parts of America and you see the miniscule polution they create.

Most ATVers ride less than 2,000 miles a year, and while some drive more, the average is probably under 1000 miles. The average car drives about 12,000 miles per year. The average household in America has 2.5 cars. 1 in 40 households in PA have a ATV, and PA is one of the larger ATVing states in America.

I subscribe to Backpacker and probably once every month they have an artical that mentions ATVing and the fight against it. I've written in several times to complain, as a backpacker myself, but of course I get nowhere. They have the attitude that nobody should be allowed to use a engine on <u>their</u> trails. Of course in NY state there are thousands of miles of hiking trails, on state lands, designated for only hiking and biking and no ATV specific trails that I know of.

edit: fixed one of many spelling errors...

Old 06-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default CBS Evening News

I think a couple of you have said that we're not going to stop the irresponsible idiots and you're right. I know that sounds cynical, but it's realistic too. All we can do is report them and note as much info as possible to try and have them charged. Better yet, you guys have the right to bear arms, so you can just shoot them if you catch em. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] they should be easy to bury in the bush.