Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

KX80 vs LT80

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KX80 vs LT80

Just thought I'd get your opinions on where I should go from here. My options are:
1) Rebuild our LT80 this winter, and by doing this, I will have Jack do his magic to it. Then mabe try to redo the front a-arms and put disc brakes on them.
2) Or the very interesting project quad. A friend of mine has a KX80 motor that is completely rebuilt, It has also been ported and done up to be 105cc. He also has a Blaster minus the motor that he is willing to deal me. By combining these two, I could build a class leagal (at least at our local tracks) 80cc quad that has some real suspenion. I would really like to lower the stock seat and gas tank as much as possible and possibly raise the footpegs some to shorten up the seat to pegs distance and lowering the overall seat heaight.
The biggest problem with all of this is that a stock blaster weighs right at 100 pounds more than the LT. I don't see any of the mods that I would want to do, lowering the overall weight much. Would the modded KX80 motor run very good in a frame like this? Would this be a waste of time and money compared to just letting Jack do our motor and living with the rest of the LT? I've been kicking around the idea of doing both, but it would almost have to be top secret (from the wife) until its done. (very tough to do!!)
My youngest son would be riding the quad most of the time and he is ready for more performance than the stock LT has. I'm just not sure what way to go.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default KX80 vs LT80

I built a CR powered blaster. Our local circiut hates these machines and showed/shows it. The clutch being the issue with it here. If one does show up, they are forced to ride the "extra quad" class which can be any age/size rider and any size machine and usually 250R's/400ex's/etc. Not good for Jr. if you ask me. I mention this so you can look into it further.
The CR/KX blaster is a cool quad. But make no mistake, it all leads to big quad goodies. Shocks/axel/a-arms/etc. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I'd be happy to help if that's the way you decide to go.
Please don't read "don't do that" into my post. My intention is for you to make sure there isn't any rules that may disappoint you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]