Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 05:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 oil change

I was sure that somewhere on here there would be instructions or advise on doing an oil change on a LT80 but I have don’t tons of searches and came up blank.

Any good advice or instructions that anyone knows would be much appreciated including best oil and procedures.

Thank you

Old 08-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT80 oil change

I'm assuming you mean transmission oil change, as the LT80 is a 2 stroke and doesn't have engine oil like other 4 stroke quads. It should be shown in your owners manual, it is a small drain bolt under the motor, and the fill bolt hole is on the belt housing side.If I remember correctly, it only holds about 8 ounces or so. You could probably get by with a good quality car oil, or if you use it hard, go get a bottle of transmission rated oil from a bike or quad dealer.

Old 08-11-2004, 07:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 oil change

Yes I did mean Transmission oil, thank you for clarifying that for me. I'm not sure where the manual is but will have to get one again. I did read somewhere someone was saying something about putting it on it's side and taking off the side cover when they filled it, that is what confused me. So it's straight forward like everything else. I think I must need some sleep, been up to long. LOL

Thanks

Old 08-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LT80 oil change

The fill is on the top of the motor. The hole in the side is to let you know when it's full. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
A 10-30 or 10-40 motor oil is good.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 oil change

Anyone have any tips on what to use to get the trans oil into it without making a complete and total mess? That hole is very small and in a bad location just forward fo the exhaust.... I was going to change it last night but had nothing around the garage to get it in with.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LT80 oil change

If you can find a small enough funnel, you can use a small rubber hose and fill it through the vent. It's slow!

Old 05-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Range Rover
Default LT80 oil change

i use an old oil squriter it works great for it you pump it a couple times and its full.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default LT80 oil change

Originally posted by: hateful
i use an old oil squriter it works great for it you pump it a couple times and its full.
Now why didn't I think of that?! I was thinking about some kind of funnel/tube contraption, but couldn't find a funnel small enough for a tube that small. Even buying a new one will only be a few bucks.

Thanks all

Old 05-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default LT80 oil change

I finally came up with a solution that seems to work pretty good.

I took a std turkey baster, you know, kind of like a huge syringe with the squeeze bulb, then I hooked up a pice of tubing and voila.

I just pop off the squeeze bulb, fill it with oil, put bulb back on, insert tube into case, and squeeze in oil.

Has eliminated alot of the mess. Not all, but alot of it!

Hope it helps ya all out.

Racerdad.......

BTW......Jack........Justin's LT80 is running top notch with that Trinity pipe. Two races and two wins.....He's an animal!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default LT80 oil change

RacerDad........

You running the Trinity pipe on a modded motor, or stock/semi-stock motor?????
I'm sure you've said on here somewhere, I just can't remember [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: LT80 oil change