Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Best ATV for 13 year old

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ATV for 13 year old

A serious moment now... First off, I'd like to caution parents a little about speed, and modification, getting air, etc. We all know that this is supposed to be a fun deal. But as a parent, we do not promise our kids that they will have the fastest, or the most modern machines out there.

Our concern, and our duty, is to make sure the kids make it to a point in life where they can legally make those choices for themself. Nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes being the parent means that we have to say no once in a while, or force a compromise.

I am not judging the decision of any parent here.. They are the best qualified to judge their child's ability to make sensible decisions. Needing more power or upgrading to get bigger air, or beat Johnny down the street shouldn't be a decision factor... rather it should send up warning signals...

I agree that kids are just plain larger than they used to be... and manufacturers have not been quick to fill the need of a larger framed, but smaller engined machine. I also support the decision to move up when it is for the right reasons.

This is a double edged sword... and one that takes an adult decision.. not a kid's emotional response. remember there are more important things to think about than a childs ability to hang on, and hit the throttle. Making split second decisions under emergency conditions may determine if they survive until they reach 18 or not. After all, you have to face the spouse or look at the empty bedroom every day if your child is injured or killed. Not me...

You make the call

Old 01-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

dont forget about the new eton viper 150r alot of nice features

Old 02-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

I have a yamoto 150 and i got a new exhaust for it

https://www.fmfracing.com/products/c...&ItemID=020302

Use the address above to get a new exhaust.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Range Rover

An ATV might not be the best - might want to go for a cr125 or cr250.

When I was a young teen - I rode an 86' cr250 - and I loved it!

I could beat anybody out there on an ATV (except a few banshees or 250R's on the long haul across soggy)

It taught me how to 'ride'.. A dirt bike takes more talent to ride than an ATV in most situations. Try riding a bike in sandy washes - it is VERY difficult.

If your afraid a 250 is too big, a 125 would probably be fine.

Don't worry bout' mixing gas and oil - its really easy.

A word on safety - my brother died last year in a bike accident (he was 14) - he had no gear, didn't strap his helmet, was riding illegally and went thru a stop sign plowing into a truck. His friend was on the back (no helmet) and they both perished. He was on a honda 50. A 50. Size doesn't matter. It's what your kid will do when your not around that counts. (He was on restriction from the bike - but obviously didn't care). It wouldn't have mattered if he was in a go cart or on a streetbike - he decided to run that stop sign. We must tell our children why there are rules - not just that they exist.

My $.02

Old 02-01-2005, 05:34 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: yamoto150owner
I have a yamoto 150 and i got a new exhaust for it

https://www.fmfracing.com/products/c...&ItemID=020302

Use the address above to get a new exhaust.
How much louder is it? Looks great by the way.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

My older boys couldn't be happy with their Blaster.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer

Maybe a couple decibles louder. I will post a picture of mine with the exhaust.

Note: When using the new muffler for the first couple of runs, Slight smell may occur, I cannot descibe it.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer

njHunter and everybody,

Please listen to Dragginbutt. Yes our kids want this and that and we love them and want to give it to them but... take a second to think. I know many of you on here have been riding for years and had no serious accidents. But times they are a changing and we need to represent our sport in the best possible lite. Meaning, eliminating needless accidents. Read the FULL accident reports and see what causes them. Its always something like an oversize bike, no parent supervision ... etc. Things that could have been easily avoided. Take dragginbutts adive and get informed and trained and educated. Do it for the sport!!!!!!