Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

purchasing kids atv

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purchasing kids atv

Hello all,

I am looking into a kids quad for my two daughters. One is 6, the other is 10. I have looked at many models ranging from 50cc to 90 cc. I almost purchesed a KFX 80, as the 50 was a bit small for my older child. This quad will be used around my yard and I am not looking for a machine that is full of power. I believe a larger 50cc will meet my needs. The Arctic Cat 50 has a longer wheel base than most otheres and is the size of some manufacturers 70cc. I am also looking into the Bombardier 50. Any sugestions from others experience? I am looking for a large 50, not a mini 50, as i fear a 70 or 90 would be a bit much.

I would appreciate any response.

thank you

Max

Old 12-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MAXQUAD
Hello all,I am looking into a kids quad for my two daughters. One is 6, the other is 10. I have looked at many models ranging from 50cc to 90 cc. I almost purchesed a KFX 80, as the 50 was a bit small for my older child. This quad will be used around my yard and I am not looking for a machine that is full of power. I believe a larger 50cc will meet my needs. The Arctic Cat 50 has a longer wheel base than most otheres and is the size of some manufacturers 70cc. I am also looking into the Bombardier 50. Any sugestions from others experience? I am looking for a large 50, not a mini 50, as i fear a 70 or 90 would be a bit much. I would appreciate any response.thank you Max
There are a lot of threads in here that have a lot of information exactly like the type your asking about.
Extra credit if you come up with a new question for our panel of distinguished experts.
See - Other Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I would definately look into the Yamaha or the Kawasaki/Suzuki's. Kawi and Suzuki's are the exact same minus the color. My lil cuz had a 2001 Yamaha Badger 90 and omg, we tore that thing up and it kept on goin. Like the energizer bunny. It had tons of power. We had adults drivin it pullin another adult on a sled and it still did great! But thats probably more power than you want. They do have restrictions all over the little atv's like carb restrictions, exhaust restrictions, and throttle lever restrictions which are easy to remove when yer kid gets better at ridin it. I don't know what sizes Yamaha makes besides the 90. I know the Kawi/Suz's are 50 and 90cc's. They are damn good machines too. Lots of restrictions which are very good. With all the restrictions on the Kawi 50cc quad, it BARELY drove me around our shop floor. Im not that big, probably 5'11, 145lbs. Skinny, but it didn't do very good with me. You also got to consider how fast yer kid is gonna grow up. He'll out grow it in a few yrs or so. If you get the 90 now, he can drive it for a long time and won't outgrow it as fast. And you know you can always hop up the 90 if he does sort of outgrow it if you want. Trust me, 90's are pretty fast when all the restrictions are all removed so imagine what it would do if you bored it out and put an exhaust on it ( if there is one out there) and rejet the carb! But luckily, little kids atv's hold their resale value very well so you won't have no prob at all sellin it. We get a lot of people wanting used and new kids atv's in our kawi dealership and we don't have ANY used or ANY new ones. Very high demand for them. Good luck with your choice, later!!

Old 12-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

The Arctic Cat and the Bombardier DS are pretty much the same machine.The Cat has a little better suspension on the rear.The DS has a little bigger tires and is less restricted I hear(sprocket and variator and CDI)For other full size 50cc mini's check out the E-ton Viper and the Kasea as well.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

my son has a lt80, some others have more things but the 80 will last forever, it always fires right up

Old 12-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

My Son is 9 and has the DS 90 2 stroke. He rides this thing like a mad man. He has rolled it several times and no damage occurred. He even has jumped hills 3 to 4 feet in the air landing 10 to 15 feet away and the suspension handles it great.With the throttle limit screw removed (which I did the first day) it moves about 30mph. I go up some hills that I cant believe my son makes up with his 90. I was hesitant at first to by a bombardier because I did not know to much about them. I have no regrets at all. I bought the DS90 2 stroke for my son and the DS650 Baja for myself. They are great machines. Hope this helps, D

Old 12-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yes I forgot. If you go with bombardier I would not purchase the 50. I would go with both 90's. It will be perfect for your 10 year old daughter and your 6 year old will be fine with throttle limit screw left in. I believe if you by a 50 for you 6 year old she will definitely need a 90 the following year. After one year on the 50 she will be wanting to ride the older sisters 90 thats what I mean. Later, D

I paid $2,000 even for my sons DS90 2stroke.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

I agree with the Bombardier 90. The 50 and the 90 are the same exact quad in size and everything. I would just set the throttle limiter as to the top sped you want. We race a Arctic 70 was the 50. This quad has gone thru 22 races this season winning 20 of them and not 1 DNF. If this quad can handle what Michael has put this quad thru then it can't be tore up. Well you know what I mean. It 's VERY tuff.

#838 01 Polini x3w-Michaels
#838 04 Arctic Cat 70-Michaels- 70cc Airsal Kit,Hetrick power up kit C, Acerbis handguards and progrips,19" Holeshots on Alum. Douglas on front,18" Snowhogs on Alum. Douglas rear. 19t and 35t Rebel Gears,ProDesign killswitch, 1" wheel spacers on front,Malossi reeds,cdi,clutchkit, and more and more to come!

04 DRZ 125L-sons
02 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4-mine
#838 01 Husqvarna cr50jr-Michaels

2004 PKM Promotions XC Champion (4-6) 50cc open quad
#838 Michael Mussi Jr
ATVA member
"Don't ride faster then your Angel can fly"
"Keep it pinned to win"

Old 12-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

The yamaha 50 and 80 share the same frame/chassis. Smaller engine and wheels on the 50. Suggest you look at some of the off brands coming from China too. For the price, you may be able to get one for each of your daughters compared to what you pay for a "Name" brand. On this website, check out Raceways... decent prices, seems to have parts on hand... I do nothave first hand experience with them, so this is not an endorsement. I have been listening to several on this list that do own off brands, and seem to think they are happy with their purchase. Limited parts availability has plagued them in the past... but that situation is getting better for many.

What ever you purchase, you will probably be ready to move up in a year or two.. at least with the 10 year old. She could ride a 90 class machine if you are thinking about just on your private property. Polaris even includes a helmet and riding/training video with their purchases.

When going to 90 class machines, you still get throttle limiters, tether kill switches on some. You can even find reverse gears on many now in this class.. which was unheard of 5 years ago. Very important deal. as it is much easier to push a button and back out than to get off and have to drag it around when you need to turn around...

I'd definately go with a 90 for your older daughter though.. I think she will outgrow the 50 quickly... Suggest you buy the 50 now, and plan to upgrad to 90 for the older daughter in a year if she still has an interest. Also suggest you bite the bullet and get one for yourself so you can join in on the fun. Make sure you take the safety training if it is offered locally... and get the riding gear