Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

YAMOTO 110 = TIPS, TRICKS & IMPRESSIONS

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default YAMOTO 110 = TIPS, TRICKS & IMPRESSIONS

If you say it is running rich then you can add the K&N filter, this will lean it out so you dont have to rejet. No reason to rejet if it is already rich.

Some of the vibration noise that I hear at higher speeds is the plastics vibrating where they meet each other.

You should be able to get parts from Yamoto or the dealer/person that you bought it from. If not then call John at Raceway atv. He can get parts for Yamoto and it may even be under warranty. Yamoto now has a five year warranty on the atv's.

You really cant beat it for the price even if you have to tweak it for your riding style.

Old 03-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

REFLEX
check your PM

Old 03-16-2005, 08:59 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: Roozter
I bought a Yamoto 110 2 weeks ago. It has worked ok so far.

Here's what I need to do.

I have read all the info on tips so far and still need to know how to adjust the valves.

I plan to add a K&N universal with pre-charger wrap and want to re-jet so it will run better. I got a tip to pick up a K&N jet kit because it has a book describing spark plug status and tells you how to change and/or adjust jets for optimum mixture. Searching on the web I find that the jet kits seem to be made for specific machines/models. Any ideas on which kit I should pickup?

I am also looking for ideas on softening the suspension. Bolt on ideas. I do not have a welder nor am I experienced in welding. The tire swap does not seem like a good idea on the 110 because the front wheel width is very nearly equal the rear width already.

I removed the carb to check for the problems of a gel pack not dissolving. I did not have that problem. However, the gasket for the float chamber was swelled. Does anyone know where to get parts for the carb? I need some new seals.

Thanks for this forum. It helped cure my buyer's remorse and paranoia of buying a cheaper quad!
Welcome to the forum Roozter, The valve adjustment is pretty simple. problem is I cant get any specs from yamoto. I adjust mine to .002 cold. You need to find top dead center on the compression stroke to check the valves. I will give you some generic instructions. Pull off the valve cover, the spark plug, and the flywheel cover. You can spin the motor over with your hand turning the flywheel and your finger on the spark plug hole. When you feel air being blown past your finger you are coming up on the compression stroke. When the piston is at top dead center(TDC) is when you can check/adjust the valves. there should be some kind of mark on the flywheel for TDC. At this point you willneed a feeler gauge set to check the clearance between the rocker arm and the end of the valve. There is a nut and a little screw to adjust the gap.

I used a UNI pod filter on my wifes quad.

I would highly reccomend you at least try swapping the front tires around. The wider track will only increase stability and soften suspension. With the wheel spacers I made for my wifes quad the front end is about 1 1/2" to 2" wider than the rear. Huge improvement. trust me on this. And if you dont like it you can change it back.

As for getting parts for the carb, I would think you would have to buy a new carb, they dont break down many parts on these quads. To try and shrink the rubber seal. Put it in a glass of water, submerged for 5-10 hrs. then take it out of the glass of water and then put the sealin the freezer over nite. I have had good luck doing this in the past. Doesnt work every time but does work most of the time.

Good luck, MWQ.

Old 03-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

MWQ & 2ManyToys,

Thanks for the tips! I may have a few more questions after I attempt the valve adjustment as I have never done one before. How about a spark plug feeler/gap gauge will this work?

I'll try the wheel swap, it just seemed like it would look stange but maybe it won't and if it does maybe I/my 8 year old daughter will like it.

Thanks for the tip about jets. I figured if I added an aftermarket filter I'd have to re-jet anyway, however, good point about leaning it out with a better flowing filter.

I'll post results.

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2005, 04:47 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: Roozter
MWQ & 2ManyToys,

Thanks for the tips! I may have a few more questions after I attempt the valve adjustment as I have never done one before. How about a spark plug feeler/gap gauge will this work?

I'll try the wheel swap, it just seemed like it would look stange but maybe it won't and if it does maybe I/my 8 year old daughter will like it.

Thanks!
No problem with more questions.

I use a feeler gauge that is like a pocket knife. Has a bunch of sheets of stainless from .002 to .035, approx 3" long by 1/2" wide. On some engines you may need to remove the gauge from the set to reach the valve.

Dont worry about how it looks. It will soften the front suspension and improve stability. (less tippy)

Old 04-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

K&N universal with pre-charger wrap - done

Hard starting problem - fixed. Spark plug cap not screwed down tight onto wire, gave intermittent spark failure.

Front tires swapped - done and swapped back again. The swap made the quad too wide for my trailer. I have two ozarks end to end and this yamoto sideways at the back on a long narrow trailer. It did make the suspension a little softer. I bet cutting the springs would work better.

The quad runs great now. I got it up to full throttle and cut the engine, then checked the plug and got a nice tan color. At idle it is still rich but it seems to burn off the residue after running around.

Have not taken an official outing yet as it has been cold and wet on the weekends. Will post after a day of riding.

Another issue I noticed. The turn radius from left to right is tighter to the right than left. I played with the steering arms and got it even but the handlebars were not straight. Anyone know how to adjust the handlebars side to side without adjusting the bolts that go to the wheels?

I love the K&N. I just mounted it straight to the carb. Nice throaty sound now. I think the exhaust even sounds better now. Don't know power or top end speed gain yet. Seat of the pants says it is better but that could be skewed because after a day of wrenching on it I want it to respond better.

Thanks for all the tips. Have not done the valve check or gasket trick yet...

Old 04-23-2005, 08:50 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: Roozter Front tires swapped - done and swapped back again. The swap made the quad too wide for my trailer. I have two ozarks end to end and this yamoto sideways at the back on a long narrow trailer. It did make the suspension a little softer. I bet cutting the springs would work better..
Cutting the springs will make the front end sag and will actually stiffen the suspension. That is one of the ways spring manufacturers stiffen existing springs on motorcycle shocks and forks. The less coils the stiffer the spring will be.

Originally posted by: Roozter Another issue I noticed. The turn radius from left to right is tighter to the right than left. I played with the steering arms and got it even but the handlebars were not straight. Anyone know how to adjust the handlebars side to side without adjusting the bolts that go to the wheels?.
I had to adjust the tie rods(bolts that go to wheels) on my wifes yamoto because of the same problem. Also had to put washers under tie rod bolts on steering shaft end to keep the end of the bolt from hitting on the frame which was also limiting steering travel.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here's an update on my (son's) Yamoto 110.

I've had it for a little over 6 months now, with probably 20 hours of riding. The "dealer" I bought it from has dissapeared, but I had a feeling that he was a flake. The price was great and I know how to fix things.

I registered my quad with Patriot motorcycles with 3 days left on the "6 month" warranty from Yamoto. I've tried to get Patriot to call me back before, but with little luck. a day after the warranty expires, I get a call! I speak with Ed in the parts/tech suport department and he is very helpful. He said he'll send me the parts I need, no charge. My faith in Yamoto has been restored! The number is 949-488-0434

Here's what I've experienced:

1. battery no longer holds a charge. Need a new one. Ed agrees that they ship with crappy batteries, but it is not a warranty item.

2. I found out that my quad came with NO ZERK FITTINGS. I parked it next to another Yamoto and compared every detail. I'll have to take the front arms off, install zerks and grease it up.

3. broke the rear fender (the biggest piece of plastic on the whole quad). My fault and a new one is only $80.

4. One of the headlight sockets broke a soldered joint and the other headlight broke a plastic tab. This was from regular use, so Ed is sending me a replacement.

5. Ed also tells me that there is some sort of washer that we have to put in front of the driveshaft (in the gear box). He is sending me one to put in. I'll get more details, but he mentioned it's to make the tranny last A LOT longer.

6. Took the 110 to the sand dunes and found out what a pig it is. A kid in a Kasea 80 (2 stroke) was blowing the Yamoto away for power! Clearly a lack of power and too much weight. I even took out the exhaust baffle. It helped a little, but still a pig in the sand or slight inclines.

7. I'm going to be putting my quad on a diet. I'm shaving every bracket, heat shield, etc.... There's just too much crap that is not necessary or can be replaced with lighter weight aluminum brackets.

8. The choke is odd, but I ran it in the middle position the whole time with no probs. Without the baffle, it's a little louder, but still OK for backyard use!

9. Ed of patriot also said to pick up a Clymer manual (#M310-13) for 90-110cc singles, 1965 to 1990. He said that the vast majority of the info applies to these motors! He mentioned that one of the few differences is that the yamoto uses a short plug and the hondas use a long one (or is that vice-versa???)

10. Ed also told me to change the gear oil ASAP, to get rid of the junk that it came with. He said to use 90w in both the front and rear gearboxes. There's a plastic cover at the front end of the driveshaft. Pop that off and you'll see a bolt in the side for filling and one in the bottom for draining. Check with him before doing this to make sure I didn't mislead anyone. I haven't done that yet.

I'll report back as I do more mods, and its good to see this 110 specific thread coming to life!

later,

Reflexx

Old 05-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

hello

I just bought the 110 and test rode it and was not impressed by the speed. The spec says 40mph max,seems like I was doing 25. My weight is 170,took off the restrictor plate and seemed a little faster mabe 26 27 but still far short of 40. What kind of speeds you reached? any mods you put in that really helps, seems like you know what your doing.

thanks

Old 07-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Reflexx,

What did you ever figure out about that 2/3rd gear whine? We picked up a couple of these 110's a week ago and first time out I had the same problem after about 30 minutes of riding with one of them.

Quick Reply: YAMOTO 110 = TIPS, TRICKS & IMPRESSIONS