Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

YAMOTO 110 = TIPS, TRICKS & IMPRESSIONS

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YAMOTO 110 = TIPS, TRICKS & IMPRESSIONS

Anyone have any luck with different shocks? We've moved into our new house (with an acre) and I made a little 2 foot jump for my kids. However, my daughter doeesn't want to ride the Yamoto cause it is so dang hard on the landing.

I don't blame her, the thing sounds like a solid rock hitting the ground rather than a quad.

Also, this thing still runs rich (I am at 4600 ft altitude). I have to be sure I start it, or it will flood if you don't know the trick. Then I gotta take out the plug and let the fuel evaporate before trying it again.

I also have slight oil blowing out the exhaust, black specks on my hand when I hold there while running. Do I need to do some engine overhaul, rings or something?

I probably have 20 hours max on this thing. I still like the low price but I am starting to lean towards Reflexx's opinion.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Roozter,

You beat me to the punch on the shock question. They are not only very hard, they have very little travel (like maybe 2 inches) before they're spring bound. I'm thinking (read hoping) that some decent shocks would be worth it. Any thoughts forumites?

Also, has anybody ever tried a taller gear in the rear end? With the wide ratio 3-speed, we'd gladly give up some top end for a little more huevos.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OK first thing with the Yamoto. Change the crappy tires and go with a bigger size. The tires that they come with are too small and way too hard. The stock tires were rear 18x9.5x8/front 19x7x8. I went with fox A/T rear 20x9x8, front 20x7x8 and it was a night and day difference with handleing. My son said it rides soo much smoother on the trails and takes the jumps much better. They are a softer tire and it takes the bumps. It handles better and does not seem tippy anymore because the tires have flex now. Going with the bigger size also increased top speed by 8mph and he can actually use 1st gear. The tires fit the atv better.

Now for the running rich situation. Do you have a clamp on filter? The airbox on these are crap. They are not sealed at all and let all kinds of dirt in and may have worn the rings down. The first thing I did was get a K&N clamp on filter and ditched the stock airbox. It does not run rich and it runs perfect everytime. If you put on a clamp on filter it will lean it out so it wont be so rich. The black stuff that you see out of the exhaust is carbon. You will get that because it is running rich. Once leaned out it will improve. Also get a better spark plug. The ones that come with them are ok but it needs a better one. I have had my sons Yamoto 110 for almost a year now and it has been flawlwss with the upgrades. He rides it every weekend. Starts great in the cold.

Yes they do need extra care over the top 4 but with some tlc and minor upgrades they will last. My son is 7, 52im tall and 75lbs and beats it pretty good but I keep up on it. This thing hauls with him on it. They are getting better year.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:24 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum AzBogeyMan, and thanks for the compliment. I try to help as much as I can. As for replacement shocks. I have seen some put the stock front shocks from a suzuki lt 160 on the front but havnt seen anything that will bolt on to the rear of the Yamoto. i did some mods to put a shock from a mid 80's CR80 on my wifes yamoto and it made a world of difference. Have you ever seen my pic page? On the front of my wifes quad I put some 1.5" wheel spacers and the increased leverage softened up the front end considerably. You can get the same effect by swapping the front tires around, which puts the valve stems on the inside but gives a wider stance for no cost.

And you have probubly read this already but my wifes yamotos stock rear shock had 9/16" of travel. Thats not a misprint, it actually had less than a inch of shock travel. Why even bother?

Old 11-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: 2manytoys

Now for the running rich situation. Do you have a clamp on filter? The airbox on these are crap. They are not sealed at all and let all kinds of dirt in and may have worn the rings down. The first thing I did was get a K&N clamp on filter and ditched the stock airbox. It does not run rich and it runs perfect everytime. If you put on a clamp on filter it will lean it out so it wont be so rich. The black stuff that you see out of the exhaust is carbon. You will get that because it is running rich. Once leaned out it will improve. Also get a better spark plug. The ones that come with them are ok but it needs a better one. I have had my sons Yamoto 110 for almost a year now and it has been flawless with the upgrades. He rides it every weekend. Starts great in the cold.
Yes, I got the K&N clamp-on last year. I only ran it for about 5 hours with stock airbox. Clamped right to the intake, no extension.

I have not changed the spark plug yet. On Sunday I ordered some Champion Z9Y plugs. I found the plug number on here somewhere. What plugs are you using? It would be nice to be able to find them in stock somewhere, rather than special order for the Z9Y.

I wonder if mine is still rich due to altitude? 2manytoys, What is your altitude?

I'll check out the tires.

Anyone swapped shocks, or have any ideas to try for the shocks? I agree the choke is goofy. however, it is exactly backwards. I always tell myself, "ok, it's backwards." Pushing on it means no choke. Opposite of pushing/activating it means choke. I also never try to start mine with full choke (all the way up) or it will flood. I only use the middle position (half choke)and all the way down (no choke).

Oh, and I ditched the gear oil and the crankcase oil. Replaced with the recommendations from here. That gear oil was nasty. In the summer when I changed it it was about the consistency of thick maple syrup, almost globby.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:28 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: Roozter

I have not changed the spark plug yet. On Sunday I ordered some Champion Z9Y plugs. I found the plug number on here somewhere. What plugs are you using? It would be nice to be able to find them in stock somewhere, rather than special order for the Z9Y.

Anyone swapped shocks, or have any ideas to try for the shocks?
NGK C7HSA

And front shocks from a suzuki LT 160 will bolt right on. Also Eton small quad shocks will work on the front also.