Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

YAMOTO 110 = TIPS, TRICKS & IMPRESSIONS

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 02:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YAMOTO 110 = TIPS, TRICKS & IMPRESSIONS

Hello all,

I know this is my first post, but I've been reading & lurking for a few months. I needed to find a quad for my son & daughter. After much deliberation, hours of internet research, and dozens of phone calls, I decided on a Yamoto 110 quad. From what I read here about the 150 and the features on this atv, I couldn't pass it up!

I don't have any conections to a dealers, I'm just a satisfied customer. This can change if the quad has a major problem. But for now it's working out nicely.

My friends call me a walking "consumer reports." Whenever I latch onto a subject, I learn it inside and out. But, what was most frustrating for me was searching for Yamoto 110 (or any mini quad) info on the web and not finding much at all. This site has been a great help, but still nothing specifc on the 110. So I figure we can collectively put it all here? I'll start with what I've learned. I'm sure current and future owners could have some input and get the info they're looking for.

Here's why I bought it:

1. 4-stroke 110cc - quiet and powerful! (compared to stock 50s and 90s)
2. California green sticker legal - can ride year round, and not just in my back yard!!!
3. Fits my 7 (55lbs) and (small, 80lbs) 14 year old - the perfect size.
I know, I know...CPSC! CPSC! Well they're my kids and my responsibility, not the goverments or what they think is "right!"
4. Looks awsome - very aggressive, raptor style, not like a "bubble-mobile-toy"
5. Headlights! brake light! foot brake! front a-arms! electric start! 4-speed + reverse! shaft drive! King tires! and (ahem) "real shocks"
6. Parts availability - the importer is in San Francisco, my dealer is a phonecall away, so this is still untested.
7. COST - it was $1,400 taxes & delivery included!

First Impression:

The guy who I bought it from delivered it to my houseand went over the controls. Now that's service! Then I got the kids "armoured-up" and they did some small loops around the yard. The quad went 20 feet and died, not a good start. It was dead, no clicky, no nothing. I've been stranded in the desert before with a dead bike, so I went straight for the main (and only) fuse. Yep, it blew. It was an 8 amp, I stuck another in and it lasted another 5 minutes. I called the "dealer" and he said it's supposed to be a 10 or 15 amp! He wasn't sure and couldn't check till Monday. I stuck a 10 amp in and that fixed the problem! Can someone take a look and confirm if 10 or 15 is correct???

More loops and one of the back wheels rolled off! Luckily it was in a very slow corner, and nothing happened. Who ever assembled this thing forgot or didn't know to put in cotterpins! CHECK YOURS! That was another easy fix, and they around rode for another hour. Yes I know the panic of a wheel falling off and I'd probably be more upset, but my "name brand" Suzuki DR400 had a loose rear axle on the first day!

It's very quiet, didn't even bother the horses in the neighbor's yard about 50 feet away. But this was at 1/2 throttle max. It was getting dark, and the headlights are very handy.

My yard (1/2 acre) is flat except for two "jumps". The quad seems very stable on the flats and "rolling over" the jumps. I avoided riding it too much (190lbs) to make sure it got broken-in gently. First "outing" went well.

Here are the first complaints and concerns (besides wheels falling off):

1. Levers are WAY too stiff. But this is probably due to drum brakes and being so "new"
2. Suspension is SUPER STIFF! Kids are going to lose teeth!
3. Registering it was a pain. They made me bring the quad to the DMV because the the certy of origin had no engine number.
4. Noticed that the tube from the airbox to the carb was kinked and restricted. Wiggling and re-adjusting didn't help.
5. Who the heck is Yamoto? They (the dealer) claims that they "built parts/bikes/quads for Yamaha."
6. Reliability is yet to be determined. But parts are very inexpensive and for $1,400 delivered, I'm not complaining.
7. I don't know if this quad can be made "race quality", but then again, we don't race.
8. Shifting is impossible for my younger one. way TOO STIFF. But I read there's a fix!

Here's what I've done: (not necessarily in this order)

1. Cotter pins on all axles / stubs. That was an easy decision. : )
2. Dissassembled everthing I felt comfortable taking off, learned what is where. Then put it back together.
3. Loc-tite EVERYTHING. Every spot there's a metal to metal fastener / nut bolt, got Loc'd.
A few too many "loose" pieces. The Chinese and Taiwanese need to discover torque wrenches and air tools!
4. De-stickered it. All the hideous warning lables are gone, along with the "wannabe-Yamaha" graphics.
5. Swapped front wheels - by simply doing this, the front track is at least 2" wider and a "softer" ride to boot!
6. Added 8-10oz of slime to each wheel. we get some nasty thorns in the desert. - then 3psi in each sneaker.
7. OIL - this thing barely had any oil in it. I just topped it off. It was super-easy with the sight glass in the case.
8. Air filter "baffle" - I temporarily removed the baffle that covers the "DRY foam & mesh" intake filter. It sounds better!
9. Adjusted the brakes - still a little hard for the 7 year old to squeeze the levers, but he has the pedal to stomp on!
10. Re-routed the wiring and cables. Some places looked like they were going to chafe or kink, so I zipped-em up!

Here's what's on my TO DO list:

1. UNI foam filter ASAP!- gets rid the "air box", intake tube and will hopefully give me that huge .0001% power gain!
2. Decals. Some cool red/orange flames (ebay) to spice it up!
3. Additional lights. The kind they put on bicycles are very good and light.
4. Shorter handlebar with pad. This quad comes with "ape hangars" and no bar pad!
5. Shocks. I'll have to find softer alternatives (LT160???) or improvise! (how about mountain bike air shocks?)
6. Paddles. We got them dunes 'round here.
7. Pipe. I'll probably mess with the stock one. Noise is more of a concern than power. I like my neighbors.
8. Buggy whip. Yep, government says we need them in the dunes, accident statistics say they don't help.
9. The shifter adjustment I read about here somewhere. To hopefully make shifting easier.
10. and of course, the cheesy little license plate with my daughters name on it. 'Cuz its hers!

I hope this helps others, regardless of what quad you get. Please add any info you can! We can have a little repository of "Yamoto" info. I'm no quad expert, but I've spent MANY days on two wheels in the desert.

take care,

Reflexx
www.RXDi.com

PS- My wife would not let me replace the "YAMOTO" with "YOMAMA". Well, the kids thought it was funny!

Old 12-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent post... Good, improvements and next upgrades... I like it when people post "the entire picture".

Did you ever figure out if it should be a 10 Amp or bigger fuse?? Loosing a wheel within the first few hours would certainly scare the heck out of me...

For other checklist items (if it isn't too late), surf:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...hreadid=430136

Hope this helps as well....

Old 12-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know if your kids quad is the same as my girlfriends kids but you did say raptor look-a-like. If it has the a-arms that look like 1x3 steel tubing keep an eye out for the bushings where they bolt onto the front knuckle. If the front wheels start looking knock-kneed the bushings are rubber powder. The motor is strong. Change the oil like you do a Dirtbike (often) 20W50 sounds like you've got the same front brakes too. The motor is a Honda clone. LOL. My kid has the Panda 110 that looks like an LT80.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

HEY!

Anyone want to add to this post?? It's been a while since I started it. I'm hoping others have stuff to contribute. I figure that the 110 is different enough from the 150 to warrant it's own thread.

At about 12 hours of use, I've got an oil leak to figure out and that whine in 2/3rd gear. Otherwise it's been great. Quiet enough not to bother neighbors, strong enough to push 180lbs around quickly (on flat land!)

My dealer has dissappeared (he sold cell phones, I didn't expect much). I'm waiting for Yamoto/Zmax to call me back about this leak since I have a "6 month warranty"

Reflexx.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

TO update my "TO DO vs DONE" list:

1. UNI foam filter ASAP!- gets rid the "air box", intake tube and will hopefully give me that huge .0001% power gain! <---- DONE! Off the shelf foam UNI.
2. Decals. Some cool red/orange flames (ebay) to spice it up! <------ DONE! just removed all of them. All black now!
3. Additional lights. The kind they put on bicycles are very good and light. <---- dont' need them yet! The stockers are surprisingly bright.

later,

Reflexx

Old 03-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great info. I just dropped my sons off to the local ATV shop to get the carburator adjusted. Hopefully. So far we've had to replace the drive shaft only.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:15 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I must have missed this first time around. Great review Reflexx. Very complete.

Sorry to hear about your on going problems Baybum, let us know how it goes after the shop is done with it.

Old 03-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Reflexx,

I also am a long timer reader but 1st time to post. I appreciate you starting this thread on the 110's. I bought one for my son about 6 month's ago, but since we live in this Az. heat, we only started getting out riding in the last few months.

Unfortunatly, I am not a very technical person nor have any experience with machining or welding, so I don't believe I will be of much help with fixes, I will however, be able to throw questions out there.

Let me start out with, that I am very happy with this purchase. For the money, it can't be beat.

I bought mine from a small Mom & Pop shop that have been around for a while and also have a great love for the sport. So, alot of the things I have read, they took care of before I bought it.

The bolts had all been locktighted.
The front tires were already mounted to provide a wider stance.
Heavier duty cotter pins had been substituted for the factory ones

I also agree the suspension is way to stiff and was hoping for your feedback that the LT160 shocks would work on the 110 as well as the 150. Anyone know? I am also hoping someone will come across a standard swap for the back shock w/o any extra fabricating.

The only issue I have had, that I have not read much about, is that the battery was not anchored down at all and bounced all over. I did read a thread that someone had the problem and fabricated a battery box welded to the frame. My less technical mind opted for some well placed 3/8" sticky back foam tape. It worked great and keeps the battery snug in place.

Once my son has been riding a while longer, I will be looking into installing the K&N air filter and changing the pipe.

On a side note: MWQ, I spend hours reading over your threads and really appreciate everything you add to this forum. If my son was a little bigger, I would have regretted not buying a 150, just so I could copy what you have done to your wife's quad. But the 110 fits him great and am happy with that buy. Please keep up the great posts.

Old 03-05-2005, 07:03 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: Backinthegame

I also agree the suspension is way to stiff and was hoping for your feedback that the LT160 shocks would work on the 110 as well as the 150. Anyone know?

The only issue I have had, that I have not read much about, is that the battery was not anchored down at all and bounced all over. I did read a thread that someone had the problem and fabricated a battery box welded to the frame. My less technical mind opted for some well placed 3/8" sticky back foam tape. It worked great and keeps the battery snug in place.

On a side note: MWQ, I spend hours reading over your threads and really appreciate everything you add to this forum. If my son was a little bigger, I would have regretted not buying a 150, just so I could copy what you have done to your wife's quad. But the 110 fits him great and am happy with that buy. Please keep up the great posts.
Welcome to the forum backinthegame, thanks for the compliments.
The front shocks are 9" long on the 150, if yours on the 110 are the same then the lt160 and eton 70/90 front shocks will also fit. I still have the stock shocks on the front of the 150, adding the wheel spacers seems to have softened them a bunch. The wife doesnt complain about them anymore.
The battery on the 150 is held in by a rubber strap that goes over the top of it.
Congratulations on buying a quad that fits youir son, and not falling prey to the he can grow into it syndrome. He will grow, based on my experiences, you can get him the 150 next.

Old 03-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a Yamoto 110 2 weeks ago. It has worked ok so far.

Here's what I need to do.

I have read all the info on tips so far and still need to know how to adjust the valves, manual says leave to professional mechanic and how to tune the jets. Mine runs too rich right now.

I plan to add a K&N universal with pre-charger wrap and want to re-jet so it will run better. I got a tip to pick up a K&N jet kit because it has a book describing spark plug status and tells you how to change and/or adjust jets for optimum mixture. Searching on the web I find that the jet kits seem to be made for specific machines/models. Any ideas on which kit I should pickup?

I also have some bad vibration noise at top speed. Any one else experiencing this? I have not changed the fluids to better quality yet. Plan to do that soon.

I did discover that the choke and gas selectors are backwards from mainstream ATV's. Push choke down all the way for no choke, up one notch for half choke, and up all the way for full choke. For the gas selector use the tail to select off, reserve, or normal. The difference between reserve and normal is shown by pictures. One shows a full gas tank (normal) and the other shows a less than half full gas tank (reserve)

I am also looking for ideas on softening the suspension. Bolt on ideas. I do not have a welder nor am I experienced in welding. The tire swap does not seem like a good idea on the 110 because the front wheel width is very nearly equal the rear width already.

I have noticed some of the same issues everyone else has. A wire that was not plugged into its connector but simply inserted into the plastic sleeve and next to the connector. The front steering bar?, not sure of the term for this. One side is longer than the other creating a tighter turn to the left than to the right. I plan to adjust this. Air box is susceptible to unfiltered air. Look at the bottom of the airbox. There is a metal plate that covers a hole in the airbox (not sure why). It does not have an airtight seal. I used silicone to seal this.

I removed the carb to check for the problems of a gel pack not dissolving. I did not have that problem. However, the gasket for the float chamber was swelled. Does anyone know where to get parts for the carb? I need some new seals.

Thanks for this forum. It helped cure my buyer's remorse and paranoia of buying a cheaper quad!

Quick Reply: YAMOTO 110 = TIPS, TRICKS & IMPRESSIONS