Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

"Need some help guys"

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Need some help guys"

Hey rescuediver I think you need to take advantage of your wife wanting your z 400 and get a new one for yourself.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:03 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: quadduck
Hey rescuediver I think you need to take advantage of your wife wanting your z 400 and get a new one for yourself.
I'll be working that angle[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] And she knows it. After all she was riding it when my clutch went out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Sssoooooo, I told her it was hers. Of course, I get to keep riding it, until we sell her 400L and buy another Z400[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Might have to wait on that though. Looking at buying 40+ acres this year and a new trailer. So, we'll have to see how things just pan out for us[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

i dont blame you for thinking that i made a dumb mistake riding that big of an ATV, but it was the only one available to me. we had no others, and we couldnt afford another one at the time. this also wasnt my first experience on a piece of machinery either. being on a farm, ive run equipment since i was 6 or 7...skid steers... at the age of 9 i was harrowing the fields on a JD 4055...which is a big piece of equipment. ill admit i was extremely lucky in some occasions, and i dont ever recommend puting a kid on a 500cc ATV at that age, but a kid will outgrow a smaller 50-90cc. in my opinion, just get a 125-300cc class, and dont push his skills. just let him take it easy until he gets bigger

Old 01-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Gopher, you were not the target.. just the catalyst.. this issue has been ongoing for a long time.... after reading a comment from a dealer in NJ the same day telling a 14 year old how to illegally obtain a machine that is by definition way too big for him, it broke the camel's back so to speak.

Your comments were made in an honest and respectful way, I respect that, but there have been in the past, some that have not been as respectful, or who would not acknowldge that there was anything wrong with doing so.

This forum has been used to highlight safety issues and concerns, and some comments have either been argumentive, or downright nasty... Thankfully, the majority of people think that there are responsibilities that parents should be dealing with, and we try to give them a clear understanding of the factual information.. and let them decide for themselves.

In cases such as yours, if you were acting in full compliance of the local laws, I can respect that.

But I still do not think that the average person should walk away with the impression that it is OK to do things that are clearly in conflict with common sense or local law because it is convenient. I myself was driving a tractor during hay season on a farm when I was 4... then it was cool, today I'd have to question the sanity of my grandmother for doing that. As I got older, I realized that the benefit of putting a kid in danger like that didn't outweigh the possibility of real injury or death.

We have a certain responsibility to teach the next generation how to be good citizens, and how to make rational decisions. We don't do that by telling them it is OK to ignore local laws, to lie, to cheat etc... that sort of makes us out to be hypocrites... and that is just plain wrong.

I am sorry you were the one that pulled my chain, and bore the brunt of my wrath.. like I said, it isn't personal..

Old 01-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

After reading all the posts again I think I would go with th trx 90 from honda, and possibly raise the handle bars and have a taller seat cushion fabbed up.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Quad Patrol

Gopher, Your recent post says a lot about your maturity, then your previous one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It just goes to show, computers can hide what our intentions truly are[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] as we type on these boards.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Quad Patrol

DB, you bring up another good point "Ethics" What will a dealer/salesman do to get a sale. The same brother, that I spoke of with the LT 250, was looking at buying a new Ford PSD CrewCab. We drove up and down Central Ca. looking for one that would seat 6 people. One dealer only had seating for 5. The salesman told my brother to double up 2 of his kids in the back seat with the same seat belt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]Well, I jumped all over him about the legality of his statement, the liability to the dealership, if my brother was stupid enough (which he might have been) to buy it, then get into an accident and injure his kids because of the salesman telling him it was alright to double up in a seat belt. I guess, when it comes to being a salesman, some are not ethically responsible[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]when it comes to putting money in their pockets[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Sorry to all the folks that had to see this... as you can tell, I had my buttons pushed yesterday... I appologise for any discomfort anyone may have felt reading my missive. Old DB wears his emotions on his sleeves some times... The really sad thing, is that I am guilty of just about everything I have railed against.... Just doing my pennance... Thanks for being understanding and not attacking me for it..

Old 01-07-2005, 03:03 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Sorry to all the folks that had to see this... as you can tell, I had my buttons pushed yesterday... I appologise for any discomfort anyone may have felt reading my missive. Old DB wears his emotions on his sleeves some times... The really sad thing, is that I am guilty of just about everything I have railed against.... Just doing my pennance... Thanks for being understanding and not attacking me for it..
No Sweat DB, I appreciate your experiences and the advice it bring's with it. With all the people here who will get just as involved in their "why I put my 8yr old on a 250 quad" rational, I believe you are only balancing thing's out a little.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Quad Patrol

DB, I see no reason to appologize[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] You bring wisdom with your ol' bones[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]