Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 sandhill setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 sandhill setup

We ride at the sandhills 95% of the time and my little sister rides a 2004 LT80. It has all the restrictors removed, and a set of Gecko paddle tires is it. We are tired of having to help push her up the steeper inclines. What would benefit this quad the most at the sand hills, we are wanting a smooth powerband, with a hefty amount of torque. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

p.s. How in the world do I get the rear end of that 80 a little softer?

Old 02-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The quickest (and free) mod for hill climbing is to take the belt cover off, remove the front clutch pulley, and open it up,you will see 6 rollers in grooves, remove 2, leaving 4 in a square pattern to keep the balance right. This raises the rpms to engage the clutch without affecting the top end. Many years ago, when my son rode an LT80 I bought used, it barely got out of its own way, got some tips from this forum and cleaned and modded the clutch ( mine was a well-used 87 that had not been serviced since new !!) all I can say is from just having a clean fully functional clutch made a big difference, but that roller mod turned it into a hill climber, instead of slowly running out of steam going up a hill, it would keep revving, and spray loose dirt all the way up !! If you do a lot of duning, look up a guy on this forum who goes by the name LT80 (Jack) he mods and races LT80s, and can make it so that LT80 is pushing YOU up the hill !!

Old 02-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2005, 01:17 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

Welcome, Kevin! From Midland, usually ride out at Crane myself! You ever see a gray dodge ram quad cab with a red mini and a red 400ex, stop by and say hi!

I know my kid's mini was a nightmare until I did some mods to it. Don't think a lot of these folks realize how steep and how loose those dunes really are. Jack (LT80) has a very good reputation for making those Suzuki's scream. Sure he could help you with some mod ideas.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tip. I would take any free advice, I am only 20 and a full time college student, so I can't afford to pay someone to work on it. But Jack if you give me some tips now, once she shows progress in her riding skills, and is able to race, I am sure you will be doing some work for me. Raptorlegs we ride all banshees, they have flames all over, all pretty much custom, Pewter Z71 pulling either my black or red enclosed trailers, we go out to Crane every once and awhile, but we like to play at Kermit. We have TexasSand all over our rides. I am pretty sure I have seen you out there, next time you see me give me a shout.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 02-08-2005, 05:11 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Couple of fellers on really nice banshees helped me out of jam last year when my main jet came loose on the EX. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

You wasn't one of them, was you?

Old 02-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I appreciate your situation and applaud you for helping sis out.
For now, do lIke 95wolv recommended and remove 2 of the rollers.
Remove the lil black plastic piece that runs the oil pump and run pre-mix.
Get the head shaved .030. I'm sure you can find a local shop to do it for under $30. If not, I'll do it.
Re-jet. Try a 90 or 87.5 main jet.
Go up a tooth on the front sprocket . (they tell me a blaster 11 tooth with a 520 chain is the same as what tyou need[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )
Dont waste money on a carb or pipe. Those 2 items cost about as much as the motor kit you really need.

What dunes in Texas?? All I saw was a few head of cattle, a cpl. deer farms, and a bunch of sheep and goats! One goat was in the middle of I-10 in my way. I honked the horn and he looked the other way. Now that's a goat for ya. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
LOL

Old 02-08-2005, 05:46 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Texas is a BIG state! You won't see our sand until you get to the basin oil country. Old dried up sea. Follow the pumpjacks! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Along with these tips, lose the Geckos. Get a pair of SkatTrak Gliders. It will double the quads ability.

Old 02-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

Hey guy's I'm looking in to doing these mods also. This clutch mod is it pretty simple? Do I need to buy any gaskets? same with the head, Do you know the torque specs on the head? LT80 mentioned to change the main jet to a 90 or 87.5 is that going leaner or richer what is stock? Thanks Jason

Quick Reply: LT80 sandhill setup