Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt80 drive belt adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 06:08 PM
42F
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt80 drive belt adjustment

I tryed using the search and it wouldnt work for me.

Im looking for info on how to adjust the drive belt on a 1987 lt 80 or a online manual for the mentioned bike.

also any sites dedicated to the lt 80 with forums and what not?

Old 04-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

there is no adj on the drive belts on the lt80

Old 04-25-2005, 09:08 PM
42F
Trailblazer

so are these bikes just normally sluggish taking off?

Old 04-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

You might need to service your clutches. If they haven't had any maintenance since it was new then it definately needs some maint. A new belt might be in order as well. How does your clutch sheaves look on the drive and driven clutches?

This site contains a ton of info on the LT. If you do a search in the search box in the "kids quads & other atv's" section then you should find lots of info.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:59 PM
42F
Trailblazer

I have no knowledge od this bike right now lol i bought it for my kid

Old 04-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a well used 87 LT80 for my son when he was little, and it was very doggy off the bottom, turned out to be a severly gunked up rear clutch, the slots for the sheave pins were so full of dirt and crud, it would barely shift at all, and the front rollers were stuck and worn flat from not moving in a long time. After making some new sleeves for the rollers ( I'm cheap, you can buy them from a dealer) and putting in 4 instead of the 6, and a very good cleaning and light lubing of the rear assembly, it took off so good, it would lift the front and spin the tires !! That little quad was sold 7 years ago, changed hands twice, and still is going strong, a very tough little quad. Do a search for a member who goes by the handle LT80, his name is Jack, and he can do wonders with the clutch and motor,and can answer any questions you may have.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:27 AM
42F
Trailblazer

Im gonna need a manual lol thanks for the info guys

Old 04-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Hello, I just had my sons LT80 built by Jack. I can tell you that you need to pull the front cluth apart and make sure there are no flat spots on the rollers, if so replace them. They cost about 3.50 ea. from the dealership. I have about 10-15 on hand at all times. If you want more snap out of the bike only run 4 rollers instead of 6. space them evenly. Remove the rear clutch and lightly sand the pads with 80 grit just to get the glaze off. Install a new belt, 22.00 ea. Do not take off the large flat nut on the rear clutch, under serious spring tension. That should take care of any clutch problems. Also make sure your bike is not plugged up from the oil injection system. I recommend removing the oil injection and mix the gas yourself. Also!! If the bike is stock you may still have the power restritors in it. One is between the pipe and the head. Looks like a washer with holes in in it. Take it out!! The other is inside the slide chamber in the carb should be brass or white plastic....not sure! Remove it as well. Of course change that spark plug. Jack has me run a BR8HIX Iridium plug, cost 6.99 ea from sparkplugs.com

Old 04-26-2005, 05:52 PM
42F
Trailblazer

thanks for the great info Hymis

if i wanna get to that drive belt and rollers what do i do remove that whole side cover? on the left side of the bike if ur sitting on it?

Old 04-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

Yes that is correct. The left side of the bike. Here is a major tip! removing the cluth cover is _itch! because of the foot pegs. Jack had be cut my foot pegs in half and he gave me a metal insert to re-connect the two. This way you can just unbolt the 2-bolts holding the left foot peg and the pegs slide right out making the clutch cover fully accessible. For now your going to have to damn near unbolt the bottom of the motor to get the cover / pegs off. I would recommend buying a stainless set of bolts for the lt80, see ebay! I have my clutch apart right now because I'm prepping for a race this weekend. If you need me to I can send you pictures of exactly what I'm talking about. Need your e-mail. c-ya!

Quick Reply: lt80 drive belt adjustment