Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Import saying it can match the TRX400 (lol)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005 | 05:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default Import saying it can match the TRX400 (lol)

HOW could they possibly say:

"This means it is a perfect entry level true race quad bike!"

When it has NO front brakes?
What a joke. Not trying to dog the chinese quads, but they should not try to pretend that they are something they are not.

Old 06-12-2005 | 10:28 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

Originally posted by: WISTECH
No front brakes? Looks like a winner(sarcasm)

I would think that's overlooked. You can see the brake lever on the pic. They probably emphasized the rear because it's hydraulic disk and not drum.

I have yet to hear a non-dealer claim any of these imports perform as well as the hype. I would think it might hang with the 250's as well.

Old 06-12-2005 | 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Guys, I am in total agreement that there is no way this quad would be a match for any of the true MX quads from the big four. There is one thing you've all overlooked though, that 300cc engine is straight out of a Suzuki road bike without any reprofiling for lower power and higher torque. Quad motors are often developed from bike engines and made to develop less peak power in order to make better torque at low revs. If that's a stock bike motor it probably makes very similar peak horsepower to some of the high performance quads. For example, my Dad had an air-cooled Suzuki 400 bike way back in the mid 1980s and that motor made 42hp, which is more than a stock Z400 with water cooling, dual cams etc.

For sure the handling and suspension won't come close and it's probably a real handful to ride, but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the idea that with an experienced rider in a straight line drag it may well be able to surprise a few people.

Just my 2 cents. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Stuart

Old 06-12-2005 | 12:41 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: weevil
Guys, I am in total agreement that there is no way this quad would be a match for any of the true MX quads from the big four. There is one thing you've all overlooked though, that 300cc engine is straight out of a Suzuki road bike without any reprofiling for lower power and higher torque. Quad motors are often developed from bike engines and made to develop less peak power in order to make better torque at low revs. If that's a stock bike motor it probably makes very similar peak horsepower to some of the high performance quads. For example, my Dad had an air-cooled Suzuki 400 bike way back in the mid 1980s and that motor made 42hp, which is more than a stock Z400 with water cooling, dual cams etc.

For sure the handling and suspension won't come close and it's probably a real handful to ride, but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the idea that with an experienced rider in a straight line drag it may well be able to surprise a few people.

Just my 2 cents. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Stuart
Welcome to the forum wevil, What do you think it could suprise? Definitely not a 400 ex. I am sure it isnt totall junk, but not even near what is advertised.

Old 06-12-2005 | 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi, thanks for the welcome.

Well, as I said in my post, if that is a standard road bike engine it could well be producing over 30hp, so in answer to your question, yes it may be able to beat a 400ex in a straight drag, maybe even a Z400.

Let me just explain myself a little clearer here. Let's say, for the sake of argument (devil's advocate and all that) that I design and build my own quad in my garage using that 20 year old air cooled twin from my Dad's old Suzuki road bike. If it produces 42 horsepower I would pretty much be able to smoke any of the current 400 class machines in stock form, so my homemade hunk of junk 400 could beat a stock ex, Z - in a straight line drag. Hell, 42 hp would put it pretty close to a Predator. The only problem would be getting that power to the ground and keeping the motor in it's power band.

Look at a modern sports bike motor, many of the 400 machines make over 60hp. Put one of those in a quad chassis (of any kind) and you have the potential to beat just about any stock quad on the planet in a straight line. The price you pay would be forever changing gears due to the lack of torque and much less power at the bottem end.

I can see that this may be upsetting a few people - myself included as the soon to be proud owner of a brand new Z - but you can't ignore the fact that if (and it certainly sounds like it to me) that's a standard road bike motor it probably produces enough horses to make it a seriously quick machine in a straight line. The ability of the machine to live up to it's hype in the suspension and handling departments is definitely more dubious.

Stuart

Old 06-12-2005 | 03:29 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Heard that song and dance b4 weevil with the skyhawk 250 and the Honda Rebel Engine and Blaster frame. Couple of Kasea clowns come in a said it dynoed 22 hp and implied THAT was at the rear wheel. Said Kasea bumped the compression to the extra ponies. That would put it in the 300ex range HP wise on a smaller frame.

Anybody read the review on the 250's? The Kasea got spanked, engine and suspension. Is it a bad machine? Dunno. Probabably well worth the money, but the hype always left a bad taste in my mouth.

I think when this one pans out you'll see something similar.

Now Adly on the other hand has one who's engine specs out identical to the 300ex with a 400ex sized chassis. That one interests me. But it costs more than a lot of these other off-brands too. I think there is probably a reason for that. But I'd like to test ride that quad.

Old 06-13-2005 | 01:50 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: weevil
Hi, thanks for the welcome.

Well, as I said in my post, if that is a standard road bike engine it could well be producing over 30hp, so in answer to your question, yes it may be able to beat a 400ex in a straight drag, maybe even a Z400.

Let me just explain myself a little clearer here. Let's say, for the sake of argument (devil's advocate and all that) that I design and build my own quad in my garage using that 20 year old air cooled twin from my Dad's old Suzuki road bike. If it produces 42 horsepower I would pretty much be able to smoke any of the current 400 class machines in stock form, so my homemade hunk of junk 400 could beat a stock ex, Z - in a straight line drag. Hell, 42 hp would put it pretty close to a Predator. The only problem would be getting that power to the ground and keeping the motor in it's power band.

Look at a modern sports bike motor, many of the 400 machines make over 60hp. Put one of those in a quad chassis (of any kind) and you have the potential to beat just about any stock quad on the planet in a straight line. The price you pay would be forever changing gears due to the lack of torque and much less power at the bottem end.

I can see that this may be upsetting a few people - myself included as the soon to be proud owner of a brand new Z - but you can't ignore the fact that if (and it certainly sounds like it to me) that's a standard road bike motor it probably produces enough horses to make it a seriously quick machine in a straight line. The ability of the machine to live up to it's hype in the suspension and handling departments is definitely more dubious.

Stuart
I think you are giving a lot of credit to the chinese manufacturers. I also dont think they deserve it yet.

Old 06-13-2005 | 02:05 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Hyosung (Korean) have a 250 v-twin 8 valve dohc putting out 30hp in their Comet street bike. They already make some mini's and I've been hoping they would put out a mid-sized quad. That thing would run!

What am I saying, they do make a mid-sized. Suzuki 160. Just not the same. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2005 | 06:03 PM
|
Trailblazer

Im sure these bikes have the technoligy and im just waiting for somone crazy enough to go and buy one, notice it doesnt say anything about a warranty....