Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt80/kfx80 breaking cases to no end?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 06:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt80/kfx80 breaking cases to no end?

This is the second set of rear case bolt holders my kid has cracked- off in a hard left turn. The moore modded motor and clutch work probably has something to do with it but it seems a +4" extended rear axle adds to the shear stress. The first break was my bad for using turf tamer rears with cut nobbies on somewhat hard pack (in a practice run for a race to be held on soft deep cinder soil). But this second break was on snow hogs again in a hard left turn. Could it be his technique? He gets the fastest 180 turns by coming into it at nearly full speed, slamming the rear brake for a split second to a hard left (or right) power slide and punching out of it a full throttle. Somewhere in that mix the case cracks and bolts bend. We've tried stock rear tires but they overslide and have no grab when he punches it after the turn. We tried going back to stock axle width after the first break, but he hated it. I'll likely try to reinforce my next set of a cases in this area but what a hassle and it's getting expensive. Anyone else have this problem? What to do?

Old 07-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default lt80/kfx80 breaking cases to no end?

I hate snowhogs and credit them for alot of case breakage, BUT, this circumstance is different.
The powerslide mentioned. Imagine the stress put on the cases during that. It seems you have narroweed it down well. Comming up on one wheel has been known to bust em as well. I think it may be doing something like that durring the slide cornering.
Ride smooth is what I tell my riders. Get used to it, work with it, and they'll be just as fast.
I've had riders win and never break cases. I have some that break the bageezus out of them.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Good luck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2021, 02:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Case

Thank you to everyone that sees this and responds, and glad to be here... Here are a few pictures to explain my issue. To start with my boys could break air, but this time it was the main case to the KFX80, so from what I am seeing it is a common problem. Mine is so bad the guy at the weld shop said he cannot weld it without compromising the integrity of the other metal around it. So, does anyone have an inner case they would be willing to sell me so I can get this thing back together. Thank you in advance or any other advise would be greatly appreciated at this time.