Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Baja 90cc

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005 | 06:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Hello fellow Baja owners....OK, personally I drive a Yamaha 350 4x4 Bruin Automatic..LOVE IT - but for my 2 boys I went on Black Friday and bought my 2 little guys 2 Baja atvs for X-mas. I bought our 5 yr old the 50cc atv..and for our 6 yr old I bought the 90cc atv. Of course I bought them at Pep Boys...they did the initial service and put them together...I took them home, started both up and ran them around the yard to see how they were. The 50cc took a little coaxing to get going, but finally got it going...the 90cc was good..started right up, no problem. 2nd day..again went to start them to just warm them up, etc...the 50cc started after many tries...the 90cc all I got was a clicking sound..no start-up at all. Read both owners manuals...the 90cc has a choke..but no mention of the choke anywhere in the owners manual..so had no idea which direction was what - called Baja..finally after about 15 minutes talking to a women who didn't speak that great English comes back on the line and says the choke **** (or whatever it's called) should always remain in the down position. Anyway..went back to the bikes.......again, 50cc didn't start at all this time........90cc still nothing but a clicking sound. Called Baja again..they said to check the battery on both..make sure they are both properly charged. I'm disappointed that they don't have an alternate starting - like a recoil start or even a kick-start. Anyway...now I have to leave today and go to my friends garage where we are hiding them until X-mas and take both batteries out and charge them...and also a good note from Baja is that the gas should always be turned off to the atv when not using it..says it floods the carburater (sp?) when it's left on and atv is not running for day..or days.

For the $, they are good little atvs from what I can see.....I only paid $799 for the 90cc and $650 for the 50cc.......I was going to buy a 90cc Kasea for $1700 but when I saw these on sale at PepBoys I couldn't pass up getting 2 for the price of 1. I just hope I am as lucky as most of you have been with yours. I'll keep everyone posted about the batteries...oh, and the Baja place did tell me the service place for me would be around Lancaster, PA (which is about 30 minutes from where I live in PA)...and they gave me the name of the place and the telephone number already without hesitation..they did say that if I did end up needing service though I had to call Baja first to set up the appt or something like that.

Ok...I'm outta here..wish me luck!

Old 12-07-2005 | 08:10 AM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Originally posted by: Bruinrider
Hello fellow Baja owners....OK, personally I drive a Yamaha 350 4x4 Bruin Automatic..LOVE IT - but for my 2 boys I went on Black Friday and bought my 2 little guys 2 Baja atvs for X-mas. I bought our 5 yr old the 50cc atv..and for our 6 yr old I bought the 90cc atv. Of course I bought them at Pep Boys...they did the initial service and put them together...I took them home, started both up and ran them around the yard to see how they were. The 50cc took a little coaxing to get going, but finally got it going...the 90cc was good..started right up, no problem. 2nd day..again went to start them to just warm them up, etc...the 50cc started after many tries...the 90cc all I got was a clicking sound..no start-up at all. Read both owners manuals...the 90cc has a choke..but no mention of the choke anywhere in the owners manual..so had no idea which direction was what - called Baja..finally after about 15 minutes talking to a women who didn't speak that great English comes back on the line and says the choke **** (or whatever it's called) should always remain in the down position. Anyway..went back to the bikes.......again, 50cc didn't start at all this time........90cc still nothing but a clicking sound. Called Baja again..they said to check the battery on both..make sure they are both properly charged. I'm disappointed that they don't have an alternate starting - like a recoil start or even a kick-start. Anyway...now I have to leave today and go to my friends garage where we are hiding them until X-mas and take both batteries out and charge them...and also a good note from Baja is that the gas should always be turned off to the atv when not using it..says it floods the carburater (sp?) when it's left on and atv is not running for day..or days.

For the $, they are good little atvs from what I can see.....I only paid $799 for the 90cc and $650 for the 50cc.......I was going to buy a 90cc Kasea for $1700 but when I saw these on sale at PepBoys I couldn't pass up getting 2 for the price of 1. I just hope I am as lucky as most of you have been with yours. I'll keep everyone posted about the batteries...oh, and the Baja place did tell me the service place for me would be around Lancaster, PA (which is about 30 minutes from where I live in PA)...and they gave me the name of the place and the telephone number already without hesitation..they did say that if I did end up needing service though I had to call Baja first to set up the appt or something like that.

Ok...I'm outta here..wish me luck!
Welcome to the Baja fan club.....if ya point a flash light on your choke lever you will see a small arrow (^) pointing up for choke......leave it up for starting....my battery went dead after a month of cold weather and it just sitting up....of which batterties will do.....the book mentions this happening.....had to recharge it.....my bike is cold starting and seems to like half choke position for warming up......once warm it she will boogy on......monitor the battery charger.....once the battery starts bubbling.....you can hear it perking like boiling water....its charge ! Yeah strange owners guide.....no choke mention in mine either ?!?.....been a good bike for us...and you got a great deal....saw that ad what a steal on these bikes !!! Wish I needed another ...ha

Old 12-07-2005 | 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Baja 90cc

We've been going through a cold spell the last week. So I parked the kids quads in an unheated shed to make room in my shop. My boy was bugging me to take one out today so I said fine will pull them into the heated shop so they'll start tomorrow when they come home from school etc.

I'm impressed the little baja 90 started up! It was -27c the day before and -24c this morning. This afternoon it warmed up to -12c and it actually started with that crappy battery it came with!
I put in 10w-40 oil before the cold weather hit. The other quad our Ducar 110 chinese quad just went "click". I figured it wouldn't start as it still has 20w-50 in it!

Our baja 50 motor bike though is acting up! It doesn't want to start even in the warm shop. It tries to but doesn't quite catch. I'm going to take a closer look at it one day here. I'm hoping that crappy air filter didn't wreck something!

Old 12-08-2005 | 12:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Thanks for the warm welcome to this forum...
Ok, so here's where we stand with the Baja's today - yesterday my partner took the 90cc battery in to work to get it charged. It was almost dead when she put it on the battery charger and the fellow co-worker who was helping her also said that one of the cells was empty - filled it up with water and said it should be fine and charged the battery. Last night went over to friends house where we are keeping them in the garage (non-heated garage I might add) and put the battery back in the 90cc - put the seat back on...made sure the gas was on, the choke was in correct starting position....nothing..more click click click. Ok, probably bad battery....so we go to the little 50cc quad and try starting it...put the gas on, set the parking brake, turn the ignition on....it at least acts like it wants to start..but nothing..doesn't ever turn over. Today...have to fax to Baja the sale information/vin #, etc...then they can set us up with an appt at a local shop (probably the Lancaster one I mentioned before) to take them in. The people at Baja...been really great so far...they are both under warranty - but these are Christmas presents for our little guys so I hope they can get this done sooner than later. I wish the name-brand quads weren't so darn expensive...a little 50cc Suzuki is $1400....that is crazy to me! If we can get these 2 running I'll be a happy camper!

Old 12-08-2005 | 08:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Baja 90cc

Well I think I'd take them right back to your retailer. As from what your saying the 90 had battery problems from the get go! You'd think at least pepboys would just give you a new battery!

Believe me I was very skeptical at first with this baja 90 ( due to the low cost) but so far it has performed above my expections.

Old 12-10-2005 | 08:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

Hey i bought 1 of those baja dirtbikes and it goes great i was wonderin are they HONDA???

Old 12-12-2005 | 08:12 AM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Originally posted by: scrappy123
Hey i bought 1 of those baja dirtbikes and it goes great i was wonderin are they HONDA???
Dunno it certainly looks like a honda we have the 50cc bike too.,............... UPDATE on the 90cc in the snow....well had to recharge my battery again....we got the atv started and headed out in the snow with sled in tow and my 10yr.old on it......I was really impress with the upper power range.....again I weight 200 lbs., and my boy weights 80 lbs. and I was able to pull him all morning long in the snow.....we had a blast !!!........now we did get stuck alot in deeper snow......and going up hills.......again because this bike has no low end power...like most auto 90cc.....you will get stuck if you slow down too much.....we were in only 4 " of snow.....maybe with some nicer snow tires we could do better.....I must say we really work the bike to death yesterday.....pulling close to 300 lbs. around for hours NON-STOP .......and it pass the test with flying colors.......I did notice my chain loosen up at the end of the day....no big deal there......if only this bike was a 3 speed shifter......it would be dog=gone near perfect.....oh and I also wish it had a kick start on it......because my battery just dies in my cold garage......I use a slow trickle charge on it but takes many hrs. to get up and running.......oh well we had fun......anyone else doing a little snow tossing on these bikes ???

Old 12-12-2005 | 01:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Haven't had them started to be in the snow yet...haha...we did fax our paperwork to Baja to see what the next step is for both atv's..still waiting....impatiently I might add. We got about 6 inches of snow a few nights ago here in PA..I've had my Bruin out in it..what a blast...can't wait to have the Baja's out in it, too...but I have to wait until after Christmas to really let you know how they perform (seeing that they are X-mas presents to my 2 boys). Bozzy, you are so right..a kickstar or coil pull-start would be so beneficial to these machines.......can you put something like that on these by any chance? Just curious...

Old 12-12-2005 | 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

I also had problems getting our Baja 90 started. I charged the battery, put the choke on, but it would just crank and crank like it wasn't getting gas or spark. I found that I had to push the gas lever in a little and it finally started (very cold blooded). I keep it in an unheated garage so I anticipated it would be a little hard to start. I have a Battery Tender Junior which I attach to it a couple of hours prior to wanting to start it.

The tires do spin a lot in the snow but it was a blast getting it going and then swinging the rear end around. My 10 year old daughter is new to ATV's and was a little concerned about the rear end sliding but I told her that was normal and fun. I jumped on and did some doughnuts to show her it was no biggy. I'm going to tow the sled next time which should be a blast.

Old 12-13-2005 | 03:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Question for everyone..if I wanted to get a battery charger to use on my ATV's - what would you recommend? And if I went out and purchased a new battery myself..what kind/voltage/brand would be best for the 90cc?? Oh..and still waiting for Baja to respond...says they are still waiting for my warranty information to be typed in.............getting frustrated.

THANKS

Quick Reply: Baja 90cc