Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

SunL front suspension problems - HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SunL front suspension problems - HELP!!!!

I purchased a new SunL 110cc from a dealer in Dallas in early November. I got a great price. Now I wish I had spent the extra money and bought from Raceway or somewhere else. I'm really paying for it now...

I assembled the bike without problems, and the kids had loads of fun for 8 days. On the 9th day, my son was riding in our front yard and the front wheels pigeon-toed. Luckily he wasn't going too fast and didn't wreck. Anyway, the right-front ball joint had pulled out of the lower suspension a-arm. Here is a link to a picture.

Okay, that was over 10 weeks ago. I have spent time on the phone with the dealer and SunL many, many times in the last 2 1/2 months trying to line up a replacement part. Neither will help me. They say the part IS NOT AVAILABLE. What type of company builds a bike, but does not even have the ability to order replacement parts? The parts man at SunL felt sorry for me, and was willing to sell me the part if he had it - but he didn't and couldn't get it. AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Does anyone have an idea of how to repair a ball joint like this? I've given up on getting a replacement. Only had the bike 9 days, but warranty work is a long lost dream.

Just a warning to anyone out there thinking of buying a SunL. Make sure you trust your dealer to help you. Mine wouldn't, and SunL couldn't.

John H

Old 01-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That looks likt the same setup as a Kazuma 110 and Yamoto 110. Call John at Raceway and see if he can get you a new part. If he cant then maybe a part from another model will work. It is hard to believe that they dont have a part for it considering most of these Chinese atv's are set up about the same.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the ideas. I have tried to look at pictures of other atvs, and could not tell if the a-arms were designed in the same way. I need to drive around to local dealers and see.

Can a ball joint that has pulled out be repaired? Thanks.

John H

Old 01-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

okjohn,

When you tried to order the ball joint, was it just for the ball joint? Call back and try to order the complete lower "A" arm assembly. Ask if the ball joint is part of the package. Just looked at a site that sold the lower "A" arm with the ball joint as a complete package.

Good Luck

SB.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

okjohn does this ATV say Sunl on it? I have looked at the picture that you have posted and this does not look like any of the Sunl's that I have. If you are sure that it is a Sunl call me! I may have a way to get you the part. But again it does not look like anything I have seen before.

Mini ATV's Raceway ATV

Old 01-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

John,

I think it might be be this 110. Same front bumper.

SLA110

Hope it helps.

SB.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes!!! It is an SLA-110 from SunL. It was still in the SunL crate when I received it, and it had all SunL manuals in the box.

Thanks John. I will definitely call you.

John H

Old 03-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update!!!

I kept working with SunL with 2-3 phone calls per week until Mid February. I gave up working with the company and called John@RacewayATV. He told me to give him an hour. I did. In that time, he called the company on my behalf and got ahold of someone willing to do something - Tony. It still took several days and several phone calls to get the part in the mail, but it finally arrived on Friday (Mar 3rd). Installed it and the 4 wheeler is running great. THANKS JOHN@RaceWayATV and TONY@SunL.com!!! Even though I did not purchase the ATV from John, he went out of his way to help me.

Lessons Learned:

1. Buy from a Dealer who actually *knows* the manufacturer. The dealer down the street may be convenient, but they may not do sufficient volume to be of any help if you need a part. John@RaceWay did what *my* dealer could only dream about.

2. The manufacturers of these kids ATVs are not well-oiled machines. They are pretty small operations wanting to look big. It is real easy to hit a dead end if the parts guy is new, too busy, or simply not interested in helping. That is when having a connection like John really helps. John knew that Tony carried some weight.

3. Don't buy from Scootertown in the Dallas area. They are within a few miles of the SunL warehouse, but didn't have the pull that John did from NY. They were hardly willing to answer the phone.

John H

Old 08-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: okjohn
Update!!!

3. Don't buy from Scootertown in the Dallas area. They are within a few miles of the SunL warehouse, but didn't have the pull that John did from NY. They were hardly willing to answer the phone.
These is a very good reason why SUNL and ScooterTown both have unsatisfactory ratings with the Better Business Bureau of Dallas. They don't take care of warranty claims and they DO NOT HAVE PARTS. Hmmm, could be why ScooterTown also has 40 negatives on EBAY in the past yr.