Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Snapped Frame on a SunL 95 Auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapped Frame on a SunL 95 Auto

Originally posted by: darnold
Gee, Thanks for the "I told you so" remarks. That really helps. I glad for both of you.

darnold
Well, *I* never said "I told you so".......that would infer that I had told someone initially not to buy a SUNL...and that wouldnt be true because I was going to buy one myself and all the bad reports scared the bejeezuz out of me...

I simply stated how relieved I was that I veered away from the SUNLs......I really WAS *this* close to buying one...a good buddy of mine who went to look at one with me even said "Hey take a chance to save some money"....but my gut said to wait and see.....

If you did any research online prior to buying, you should have seen the same info that made me think twice....

Like I was about to do, you took a gamble.......dont be bitter because you gambled and lost.....chalk it up to experience.

But anyways, like I said, my comments werent meant to say "I told you so" because I wasnt telling anyone anything...just sharing my relief........and also my thanks to those who DID tell me to stay away initially.

You could also look at it this way......your frame is snapped......and there are other SUNLS out there that havent.....you could always part yours out (since parts are so hard to find anyways) on ebay and youwould probably make back almost what you spent on it originally...then put the money towards a different bike....

It really is a shame that the chinese manufacturers dont have their stuff together yet.....I really DID like the overall looks of the SUNL I was thinking of buying......

Old 09-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Range Rover

I have a SLA 90, purchased new from Sunil in Jan. 2006. This weekend the fame snapped.
Well if you bought it in January and it's now September, then I'm sure it's well out of the warranty period. SUNL's warranty earlier this year was only 30 days for parts only. They increased their warranty to 90 days parts only around April. Not that it makes any difference either way, SUNL's warranty is totally useless.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

BigRic,

Sunil is worthless when it comes to this issue. They have two angles; first is, as you said, the warrenty is expired, secondly they maintain that "someone over 150 lbs. rode the 4 wheeler and caused it to break". Either way they have no intention of fixing it. They also claim ignorance of this problem. They act as if I am the first person who has ever reported this issue. In my opinion, they should at least repair the frame. I am willing to pay $ to have it repaired - but they wont fix it. It couldnt cost too much to weld and brace it properly. I'm not clear as to why they are willing to bale on their customers. Instead they say, buy a new frame or buy a new 4 wheeler. Too bad for Sunil. I wouldnt buy anything from them in the future.

WORD TO THE WISE - SUNIL WILL NOT REPAIR THEIR 4 WHEELERS. They will sell it to you, but you are on your own for major repairs.

darnold

Old 10-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

On a secondary note...for those people who think like me.

I would still recommend a Chinese 4 wheeler if your primary motivation is saving money. Yes, the frame broke and yes SUNIL sucks. However, I can have the frame repaired for a few bucks and other than that - the 4 wheelers (I have 3 of them) have been running since Christmas without a hitch. My kids ride them pretty hard. I figure the $1,000+ I saved on the cost of each will pay for the aggravation and cost of repairs. Or, what the heck, I can throw it away and buy another one and still be ahead on the money.

I think my kids are going to outgrow the 4 wheelers before they completely wear out.

Just my 2 cents.

darnold
SUNIL SUCKS

Old 10-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

On a secondary note...for those people who think like me.

I would still recommend a Chinese 4 wheeler if your primary motivation is saving money. Yes, the frame broke and yes SUNIL sucks. However, I can have the frame repaired for a few bucks and other than that - the 4 wheelers (I have 3 of them) have been running since Christmas without a hitch. My kids ride them pretty hard. I figure the $1,000+ I saved on the cost of each will pay for the aggravation and cost of repairs. Or, what the heck, I can throw it away and buy another one and still be ahead on the money.

I think my kids are going to outgrow the 4 wheelers before they completely wear out.

Just my 2 cents.

darnold
SUNIL SUCKS
When I was shopping, I flipped one of the SUNLs up on its back grab bar to check out the frame.....the one I looked at had misaligned frame members and they were welded together crooked, etc......and the diameter of the tubes themseoves are half the size of the Honda TRX90 I bought......

True, if you dont mind throwing it away when it breaks it may be a deal.....I paid $1200 for the 2001 Honda and it needed front tie rod ends...that was another $80 or so......so figure $1300 for the Honda versus $600 for the brand new SUNL I could have bought....

However, when I was thinking about the SUNL I started looking online for parts, since anyone who has ever ridden knows that eventually things wear out or break...the ARE ridden hard......I found RACEWAY and a one other place that seemed to carry some parts......hard to figure out becaie they dont have all the parts online etc.....RACEWAY seemed like a good gamble...but to be safe I emailed and then called SUNL HQ.....I got no one when I called......I sent an email to 4 different addresses (all of them were deleivered and read)...I got ONE reply....."call this person" and then a number....when I called it , it turned out to be a fax....Ok.....so I sent a one page fax with my request.....just asking about the availability of spare parts and how I was thinking of buying a SUNL.....That was a few months ago and I *still* have yet to hear back. If that is how they respond to a potential customer, I imagine the attention would be even less once you pay your money.

There were hundreds of places online I could buy my Honda parts.

That alone is worth something.

Plus, I will be able to turn around and sell the TRX90 in 5 or 6 years and get much of my money back since even 10 year old Honda mini quads are getting a good price......

Like I said, the SUNL *looks* on the surface to be a sweet deal.....if you get one that doesnt break you definately are ahead....Problem is, look at how many people online have had frame or carb or engine or other issues....

My cousin bought TWO chinese ATVs at Pep Boys a few years back...with in 6 months, he said, they were broken....couldnt find parts.....the frame broke on one of his and he had it welded a couple times......The problem, he thinks, is the quality of the metal they use in the frame....

One other thing to keep in mind is the frame size itself.....the SUNL 110cc ATV I was considering was too small for my 7 year old......he would have broken/maxed that thing out in no time......and at least where I live, I found out that technically only 12 and up should ride anything bigger than a 90......there is NO WAY the SUNL I looked at could haul the 12 year olds *I* know.....

Its a shame.......I think there is a HUGE market for cheap ATVs......if they could get the forula right they would sell like hotcakes...I mean, look at how well the cheap ATVs sell already, even with their problems......

Old 10-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

i would also highly recommed a chinese atv for the beginner 4-12 year olds, the chinese have done more good for the atv market and getting new riders in the atv/motorcycle market than harm. i can't think of a single reason why i would want to spend $2000 on a atv for a 4 year old, $500 is a great deal for a 50cc. the sunl group sucks, i woudn't buy another product sunl the groups imports. as far as the rest like kazuma, jetmoto, redcat and so force can be a good kids beginner quad.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: probablecause
I was told by SUNL that there is only a 30 day warrant. Do you know where that info is posted or who I can contact?
You can try contacting
jennifer@sunl.com
irv@sunl.com
tony@sunl.com

SUNL carries a 30 parts only warranty on some of the smaller ATV's.
They have increased the warranty on other ATV's to 90 days parts only.
With SUNL it wouldn't matter if the warranty was 5 yrs, cause trying to
get them to honor any warranty claim is useless. Get ready for an extended
wait. I've known people who couldn't get replacement parts at all and others
who have waited 6 months to get parts.

SLIMELL's webpage says 60 days on ATVs.
http://204.13.154.16/information.php...ae17f07b596c59