Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Need help with Redcat VX-200

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Redcat VX-200

Anyone know how to adjust the carburetor on one of these? It throttles up nice and runs strong but I just can't seem to get it to run steady at idle. When I start up cold I have to keep on the throttle to keep it from stalling yet when the engine warms up the Idle is way high. Also when out riding I'll come to a stop and the engine will just stall. In other words the idle is very erratic. Also when engine is warm and idling it will occasionally make a pop sound out the exhaust. I've searched around and haven't been able to find anything online about these engines. I'm new to the sport and have basic knowledge of small engines. Any help would be appreciated. If anyone has a link that they can provide with servicing info on these ATV's that would be great.

http://www.redcatmotors.com/products...&maincatid=100

Old 05-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

TrailPatrol

I'm new to ATVs but, since noone else has responded, I'm going to throw in my $.02. I purchased 2 Redcat vx110s recently and had a similar problem with one of them. It turned out to be a vacuum leak, in fact, the gasket between the manifold and the head was installed crooked. I would check the carb to manifold and manifold to head bolts and make sure they are tight. Or, spray some wd 40 on those connections, if the engine revs, thats where its leaking.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:28 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum TrailPatrol, I dont have a Redcat 200 but Im sure there is a air screw and a idle screw on it some where. The air screw is usually just above the float bowl cover and near the rear of the carb. It will be a small screw that doesnt stick out of the carb. The idle screw is usually in the middle of the carb front to back and top to bottom too. It will usually stick out and have a spring on it. Try turning the air screw out 1/4 turn and the idle screw in 1/2 turn. The air screw will smooth/raise the idle and the idle screw will just raise the idle but not necessarily make it any smoother.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer

All good advise, the idle set screw is on the right side (sitting on the atv) of the carburetor. It's tucked up behind the plastic. On my two Redcats I automatically turn up the idle before I start it when it is cold and then adjust down slightly when it gets warm. It's just easier than having the wife stall it 800 times before it warms up. The engines appear to be a little cold blooded. During the summer months you can usually find a happy medium at one setting but when the weather gets colder you will need to readjust the idle speed between a cold start and after the engine is warm unless you want it to stall repeatedly which I doubt. Just my experience. Testing for a vacuum leak is also a good idea. I typically use a carburetor cleaner, it burns better than WD40 and will be easier to detect a leak - just be carful where you spray it (obviously not on hot exhaust or non-neoprene rubber grommetts). Also, I have had to clean the carburetors usually right out of the crate due to packing jell and foreign debris. Best of luck

Old 05-11-2006, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Sir,
The carb is a POS! They are just a bad design. Look at some postings and save the butt chewings from your wife...go to Dennis Kirk.com and get a new carb and throttle kit. I fought it, I played...I listen to Bill and I8amm. They need to just scrap that carb and go with a proven performer. SEADAWG

Old 05-17-2006, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

TrailPatrol,
Dude, update us on your situation??"?? Did you get it done or not? SEADAWG

Old 05-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's been raining here for a week straight so I haven't looked at it yet. I'm going to clean the carb and look for leaks for starters then I'll post and let you all know. BTW, thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 05-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I ran some carb cleaner mixed in with the gas but it didn't seem to have any affect. I spayed around the connections from carb to cylinder (rubber tube that runs from carb into cylinder, It doesn't appear to have gaskets from what I can see) and didn't notice any change in engine idle. I found the screw with the spring on it and gave it a couple turns. I got it to stay running but again everytime I tap the throttle it would idle differently sometimes faster idle sometimes stall. For the life of me I can't find the air/fuel mix screw. There is a bass colored screw on the front of the fuel bowl but I'm not sure if that is it. I posted a few pictures if anyone cares to look and tell me what they think. See picts here I'll probably let the carb cleaner run through with the 1/2 gal of gas I got in the tank and see how it goes before I make any adjustments. One other thing it sounds like it is skipping while it is at idle with an occasional pop sound. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:55 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: TrailPatrol
There is a bass colored screw on the front of the fuel bowl but I'm not sure if that is it. I posted a few pictures if anyone cares to look and tell me what they think. See picts here I'll probably let the carb cleaner run through with the 1/2 gal of gas I got in the tank and see how it goes before I make any adjustments. One other thing it sounds like it is skipping while it is at idle with an occasional pop sound. Thanks for the help.
That is the air/fuel screw. Try turning it out 1/2 turn. You might want to trun it in until it stops and count the turns for reference. Normally they are set at 1 1/2 turns out.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

I just got a Redcat VX150cc and had the same problen you have.
I pulled the carb, cleaned the float bowl and checked float action
Then I set it up to test run without re assembling it.
Ran with no air cleaner it ran fine. installed the air cleaner it ran like crap.
The air cleaner was twisting the rubber intake manafold and causing a
vacume leak retighten everything and retested it ran ok but not as good
as with out the air cleaner ( gona get a K&N air cleaner) for better air flow.
TTYL
boozo@bellsouth.com
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
PS: use 90 octane gas or a octane boster that helped to

Quick Reply: Need help with Redcat VX-200