Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

first accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first accident

yester day me and the family was out riding. we were coming down a hill when my 7 year hit an exposed tree root and it kicked the handle bars out of his hand, which made the quad roll. it rolled over top of his head. he always were a helmant , which had saved him from a head injury(thank god) this time . he was hurt but not nearly as bad as it could have been. after a bout 10 minuites he wiped all the dirt of of him , complained about a few cuts and hoped right back on. i was greatly releave that he didnt get hurt that bad, and proud that he hopped right back on. if it wouldnt have been for the helmant i think it would have been serious. as far as the quad it tore some plastic up ,but thats replaceable, no big deal. so make sure these youngsters wear that saftey gear, its worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:06 AM
DCR
Weekend Warrior
Default first accident

My 6yr son had his first wipeout the other day also. He didn't roll it but got thrown off. I so the whole thing happen and it is scary to see your child get tossed. After about 10 min of crying he was back on and riding. Thank god he had all the right riding gear.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts
Default first accident

Really glad to hear it was only cuts and bruises.

While you gotta give him credit for getting back on, don't forget to give his parents credit for having him wear a helmet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default first accident

I had my 1st spill a couple of weeks ago. You can't put a price on saftey equipment. I bounced my head off thhe ground pretty good. Those helmets work great. I had my helmet, chest protector, riding boots, long sleeve shirt, knee pads, gloves, all on.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer
Default first accident

Yeah, it's a pretty scary thing to watch happen and kudos for him having on the helmet. As scary as it is, and surely don't want to see any youngsters get hurt, but taking a spill or two is the only way they are going to learn. No matter how much you tell them something, they will surely remember taking the spill.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:34 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default first accident

Im a "Dress for the crash, not the ride" Kinda guy. Glad to hear your sons OK mykool61679! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default first accident

Yes.....very good to hear everything came out well. Protective gear is a must...after a little saddle time one feels naked riding without it (so to speak).

Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default first accident

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mykool61679
yester day me and the family was out riding. we were coming down a hill when my 7 year hit an exposed tree root and it kicked the handle bars out of his hand, which made the quad roll.</end quote></div>

Same thing happened to my 5YO son last winter. He hit a curb, it jostled the handlebars out of his hands, and I watched in horror while he grabbed for the handlebars as he plunged over a 40 foot embankment. Just dropped out of sight like he'd gone over a cliff. Yikes. He and the quad rolled in the soft sand of the hill and his helmet took the abuse (we replaced it immediately), but he got right back on. No injuries, but looking at that helmet reaffirms one's commitment to wearing one.

We've discussed this event many times since. He was ignoring one of our main safety rules (stay in line behind the forward quad) so we get to reinforce that rule, plus emphasize that you NEVER LET GO of the handlebars. As I've said before, little accidents like these will hopefully be the learning events that prevent big accidents later.

Glad everyone is safe.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Range Rover
Default first accident

My son took a spill the first day that I brought home his quad. It was my fault, I set the throttle limiter for my weight and then let him go on it. He gunned it while making a hard left and the quad pitched over on its side tossing him off. He was wearing his helmet and suffered only a few scrapes to his palms where he tried to catch himself. The visor on the helmet hit the ground and sheared off one of the plastic nuts. As much as I wanted to believe that the key-fob operated remote kill switch was a plus when I bought my son his quad, I realize that it really isn't a useful accident prevention device. By the time you realize that they are in trouble and respond, they are past the point of no return. But yeah, the helmets and any other gear that they wear are definitely a necessity and the first/only true line of defense when an accident occurs. Glad your son was not seriously hurt!

Old 05-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default first accident

i too believe the only way to learn is to mess up sometimes. those hard lessons hurt, but you never forget them. dont want no one to get hurt , but you must break a few eggs when learning how to make an omlet. i hope you all a safe ride.

Quick Reply: first accident