Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kids ATV, I bought my kids a cheap Chinese Quad.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids ATV, I bought my kids a cheap Chinese Quad.

I ordered my kids (2 girls, ages 10 and 12) an ATV from this web site.
http://www.rightwayatv.com/detail.cfm?id=482

It was shipped FREE to my door in about 2 weeks.

Now I know it is a Chinese Honda clone, and not a well known brand. So before I get slammed for not buying a Polaris, Honda, Yamaha, etc, let me explain why I went this rout.

1) I wasn't sure if they would like their own. So I didn't want to spend a lot of money right away.
2) I only get to see them roughly 6 weeks total in a year. The bike will most likely be stored for months at a time.
3) I don't think they will be too rough on it. So I wasn't concerned about it not being strong enough for them. If they where 16 year old boys then I would buy a better known brand.

Now why did I choose this one?

1) Price. At the time it was $599 with free shipping to my door. They are now $559.
2) Looks. I think it looks awesome.
3) 107 cc's I wanted it big enough so they wouldn't out grow it too soon.
4) Automatic. I think it is a lot like the Polaris.
5) Throttle limiter, safety tether, and wireless remote start and stop!
6) Disk rear brake.
7) Tail /brake light. Head lights
8) Nice big bumpers.

So after 2 weeks (13 days) of waiting, it arrived without a hitch. It was on a pallet and the truck driver pulled it out on the lift gate and he made sure there was no damage and I was happy with the package. It was in a metal framed crate with printed cardboard covering it. I clipped the bands and opened up the box, it was the color I ordered, Silver. I ordered silver for a neutral color because it may be handed down to my 5 year old nephew. A few items needed to be assembled, handlebars, wheels & tires, front and rear bumpers. The battery also needed to be filled and charged. It took about an hour to get it all put together and about 5 stabs at the starter button before it was purring like a kitten.

After checking all the bolts and making sure everything was working I had to give it a go. I was in my garage with the throttle limiter set from the factory, with my knees almost hitting the bars, I hit the throttle as far as it would go. I was heading for the back wall before I knew it. I grabbed the brake and came to a skidding halt just in time. WOW! That was Awesome! Next step was to try it with out the throttle limiter. This thing will lift the front tires off the ground and power slides are really easy. I have to lean way forward to get it to turn otherwise it will go strait as the front tires don't have much weight on them. I am 5'11" and about 180 lbs and it scoots me along at about 25 mph.

We let them watch the safety video that came with my wife's trailblazer. We bought them new helmets and goggles so they would be safe enough to ride. We need to get them some better shoes/boots. I put the throttle limiter back on and adjusted it to where it was safe for them to ride. After a few instructions and some seat time in the front yard here is the results. They did great for not ever being on something with a gas motor before.

http://community.webshots.com/...jSBqK?vhost=community

Hits and misses:

<u>Overall Quality: 6.</u> It was made in China. The welds are not all the pretty, but do function...so far time will tell. From what I have read the Loncin engine is just as reliable as the Honda, again time will tell. The plastic is a good quality and it even was shipped with protective wrapping for the decals and lights. Every thing works, even the remote start and stop, (turns the engine on and off, not the brakes).

<u>Overall Appearance: 8.</u> I think it looks great.

<u>Size: 6.</u> It is smaller than I was hoping. It did say it was made for 6 to 11 year olds.

<u>Power and Performance: 9.</u> It has plenty of power and will accelerate quickly even with me on it. No reverse, witch is fine for young kids.

<u>Suspension: 5.</u> The rear shock is a joke, NO dampening. The front is much nicer with the dual A-arms. I had to flip the shocks over so the oil would be in the travel of the piston. Otherwise the front didn't have any dampening either. I flipped the rear but still nothing.

<u>Brakes: 7.</u> Rear disk brake with hand lever and parking brake. No front brakes. I would guess this is for safety. I can see them flipping over the bars.

Conclusion:
Yes I would buy another one. In fact we are thinking about getting the next size up. For the price it is way more then what I expected. I could buy 5 of these compared to a Polaris 90. Some will say "Good luck! It will most likely break in a week". Like I said, time will tell.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer

As you said...Good Luck! They do look nice but so was the Chinese ATV that I purchased and it died (motor/trans) after about 3 months. I bought the Polaris 90cc Predator and could not be happier. There is a night and day difference in terms of the overall build quality and much safer for my 10yr. old son to ride. Had it for over a year now and no problems at all.

Just remember to check over your ATV's before each riding session. This should be done to make sure it is completely safe for your children to ride. I know I spent more time checking the Chinese ATV then my son did riding it. You cannot believe how may bolts come loose after a few hours of riding. Loc-Tite all of them. Make sure you check the rear wheel nuts and cotter-pins - make sure the rear wheels are tight. Mine came loose all the time. Also check for gas leaks - had this problem too and change the oil frequently to make the motor last.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

Right Way ATV is owned by Sam Brown he use to own Scum Town in Dallas, Tx he is SCAM artist. you will need to find a parts source cause he will not get you parts and he will not War. anything.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

when sam brown was running scum town he sold mostly sunl crap .

Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thats true but i would still never buy a unit from him no matter what he line he carried.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bigborehonda20

Thats true but i would still never buy a unit from him no matter what he line he carried.</end quote></div>

lol ,maybe you would never buy from him but you didn't have a problem selling sunl's to sam brown (scum town)

Old 06-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer

I never sold anything to Sam while i was at SunL. Im no longer with SunL and i wont refer anyone to a SunL product.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Range Rover
Old 06-21-2007, 03:55 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bigborehonda20

Right Way ATV is owned by Sam Brown he use to own Scum Town in Dallas, Tx he is SCAM artist. you will need to find a parts source cause he will not get you parts and he will not War. anything.</end quote></div>

Maybe he should change the name to WrongWayATV. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Range Rover

Last April I purchased a Meercat 50cc from a friend of mine who deals with these atvs, I payed $300.00 with it still in the box, my kid is a large 5 year old, and he loves it, its not an automatic, the clutch is, but he still has to learn to shift, he broke a few things on it and it burns oil, all in all ok for a five year old.

Quick Reply: Kids ATV, I bought my kids a cheap Chinese Quad.