Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

how to align the front tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to align the front tires?

Got my son a 07 byang 110 hunter style atv last spring...he loves to ride and rides it hard. he had flipped it in the summer and the front alignment seams to be off. I tried to align both front tires but at high speed it wants to wonder. Just wanted to see if there are any tricks for alignments? I tried standing it up and using a level but quickly realized not a perfect way to do it...also the rear seams to be tricky when tightening the chain the rear axles moves a bit where the left side is more foward than the right or vise versa? it does not totaly move as one piece...

Note: I tightend the front end up and there is not really any play from loose bolts, hubs etc...

Old 02-04-2008, 01:55 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Welcome to the forum anttho! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

As long as nothing is bent you should be able to adjust the tie rods until the front end points straight. also check tire pressure as lower pressure in one tire can have the same effect.

I had the same problem with my Yamoto 150 while adjusting the chain. I put washers under the bolts and it lessened the puling effect while tightening the axle carrier.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

the washers went on the adjusting nuts? just checking because the rear hub has a liltle play that lets the rear axle move when tightening up the chain....atleast i belive this is what is going on....for the front tires i did my best to eye them up but was wondering if for example using a straight edge of some sort attahced to the outside of the front tires and it extended out 4' feet if there is a measurment i could use where just in front of the tires is the same as the end of the 4' with the steering wheel straight? or am i overthinking the importance of this?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:18 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

I put the washers on the bolts that tightened up the axle housing. Mine had lock washers only and they made the problem even worse.

On the Jetmoto's I just eyeball to end up with slight toe in. (tires slightly pointing in from perfectly straight) The Yamoto worked better with slight toe out.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

thank you for the response my problem i am realizing is the hub itself...when i lossen the bolts to tighten the chain the hub does not move as a whole and gets out of whack. the side with the sprocket is closer to the front of the quad..the side with the disk is farther away...any fixes for this...I was wrong the axle inside the hub is good it when the hub is loosened from the rear swing arm to tighten the chain thats the problem..

Old 02-04-2008, 02:39 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

You may have to bend something to get it to line up. I would try twisting it into the correct position and then tightening the bolts. You might need a 3rd or 4th set of hands to do it. Or a torch and a pry bar. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try adjusting so the front tires are a little toed in like an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch in compared to the back of the tire