Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

suggestions for a quad for my 9 year old

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestions for a quad for my 9 year old

Im looking into a quad for my 9 year old daughter. This will be her first machine. I was thinking about a jetmoto or a baja (I live in the phoenix area, and I think baja has there headquarters in Tempe). can someone give me any suggestions on what size, and model I should get for her, and also where I should get it.

Tuna

Old 02-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums Mr. tuna [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Only you can tell if your daughter is going to be on a 4 wheeler for a while or not.
IMO, if she is wanting one and you feel that 4 wheeling will be in your familys future, please consider a name brand machine. Surely there are used ones to be found.
These china imports are a accident waiting to happen. You will need a welder, multiple tools, and the knowledge to use them all. Read up in here.You will see that it's a fact.
The chinese quads may be good if you don't expect to be into it long or if you have no clue if she even wants one.

lead paint, poison dog food, and junk quads is what the chinese are known for. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought my 9yr. old the Hanma 125 Chinese ATV. I found out the samething that everyone else did. The small Chinese ATV's require some wrench turning. He has broken off the plastic light housings for the headlight and the taillight and we had a couple of nuts come loose. The other big thing was this model came with the alarm. I yanked it out after it wouldn't shut off and had to make some modifications to the wiring harness. This wasn't a big deal since I know how to do this. We have a small track for the boys to ride on and it has a jump. My youngest jumps the Hanma everytime around and has never broken anything, to my amazement.

I bought a Chinese ATV because I didn't know if he would take to it. For what we paid, he can tear it up and be better off than losing the same amount of money by driving a new Honda off of the showroom. The resale on the Asian ATV's is good, but they loose $500-$600 in value after being used. My older son started on a Chinese dirt bike and graduated to a Honda after we determined he was ready. We will eventually do the same with the ATV's.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tuna, I think I'd be more inclined to buy a used 90 from Zuki, Honda or Polaris if you can. Easier to get parts and more reliable. I've had an Eton 90 and Polaris 90 for about 3 years, both have needed a fair amount of attention, but I've never had a problem with parts or service. I hear more good things about the Zuki 80s then any others it seems.