Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

eton 90R will start at times,but will not stay running

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eton 90R will start at times,but will not stay running

Can someone help me out here. I will try and start the atv however it may start and run a couple to seconds and then just die. I the battery is fully charged and this is evident by the strength of the starter turning over. The spark plug is wet so it is not an issue of lack of gas. This one manual was talking about make sure that to check the following:
1. proper resistance to the spark plug wire
2. the proper gap setting to something behind the fan shroude. the gap setting is suppose to be .025"
3. check the generator resistance which requires the removal of the balance pulley??

Before I dig into thsi atv which I am just learning, could anyone have any suggestions of what I should check /replace?

the second problem is if it is running and when I try to use the gear selector it will die. I can turn on the ignition key and swith the selector from F-N-R and sometimes I will hear the actuators working and at time I cannot. I have replaced the gear selector which is not the problem. Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Where could I get a replacement spark plug; I went to Autozone for the NGk bh75 (someting like that) and they had no cross references for that spark plug. My son is ready to ride and this is problem is fustrating.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think you need to list a few more things before we can help,

1. When you start it is the choke on?

2. When it does start what happens when you give it a little throttle?

3. What year is the quad? You mentioned F-N-R
(so I am assuming this is an 05 or newer)

For a new plug find a local motorcycle shop in the yellow pages, a new plug is only 2-3 dollars.

We will all be glad to help, give us a little more info asap and you will get some worthwhile info to get your son riding.

Good luck,

Fran

Old 03-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

thank you for your response, the problem was the pickup gap setting which is suppose to be set at .025 inch was more like .029 inch. The atv would run at times and when you tried to swith gears it would at times die on you. I do want to thank you again for taking your time to answer my email.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

RJDAD,
I'm having sort of the same issue except my 90R won't start at all. Well I guess that's not the same issue but I'm looking for others that are having trouble with their 90R's.

It wasn't getting any spark and the shift actuators weren't making any sound either.

I replaced the CDI (85.00) and finally got a weak spark and noise out of the actuator. But...no life on the dash display. Then, my weak spark went away and now I'm not sure where to turn. I've read that these quads have electrical gremlins and I'm beginning to believe it.

From all outward appearances, this quad hasn't been abused. No sign of mud in the stator so I'm reluctant to replace it. No apparent wiring problems either.

I'm stumped.

If you figure out your problem, please post it here so that I can also try the same thing to remedy my situation and I'll do the same if I solve mine.

Good luck.