Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

What do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you recommend?

Looking for a quad for my 4 year old grandson, I'm kinda hesitant to do this at his age and might wait at least another year before pursuing this. He rides his little battery powered one well and is very cautious in how he rides, plus he wears full gear even on the battery powered quad.

What would you guys recommend for a good first quad? I'm thinking about a 50cc to start with but would prefer not to buy a new one at first or possibly buying one of those Chinese brands since he will outgrow it fairly quick. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Range Rover

If you go China, make sure you are ready for all of the tweaking, tightening and creativity required for a pleasant ownership. If you cannot turn your own wrench and don't have the mechanical experience related to these machines, you're gonna be better off with a Honda, etc..... I would say that my MIC (made in China) experience has been enjoyable with no surprises so far. I have been able to get parts when needed. Either from the manufacturer or the local Honda/Suzuki shop. Be sure to pick a dependable seller, even if you have to pay a little more. Lots of people have great things to say about Raceway ATV. I spend a lot of time in this forum and can say that I haven't heard anything negative about them.

I bought my sons Coolster 110cc from a guy selling them out of his garage. He wasn't around when I needed parts for repair. I got lucky that I was able to contact the manufacturer and get the parts needed to get it up and running again. Just remember that the bottom of the barrel price is not everything. Without parts, it can become a piece of lawn art quickly.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input! I've heard horror stories about the chinese models as far as parts accessibility and service. Don't want to spend an arm and leg to start with, originally thought about a 110cc but seems a little big for the grandson even though they have throttle limiters and remotes.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Just bought a pretty much basket case Alpha Sport 90. Plan on doing a total rebuild on it for my 4 yr old great (ouch) niece.

Looked at an LT50, but the size was small, and they grow pretty quick, so I think this will last a while.

Nice thing is, this is the same thing you'd buy if you were to get the Polaris Predator 90. Just the plastic is different.

So I at least have an alternative to buying parts. I know they'll be more from the Polaris dealer, but at least they'll be available.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scootergptx

Just bought a pretty much basket case Alpha Sport 90. Plan on doing a total rebuild on it for my 4 yr old great (ouch) niece.

Looked at an LT50, but the size was small, and they grow pretty quick, so I think this will last a while.

Nice thing is, this is the same thing you'd buy if you were to get the Polaris Predator 90. Just the plastic is different.

So I at least have an alternative to buying parts. I know they'll be more from the Polaris dealer, but at least they'll be available.</end quote></div>

I agree, they grow way too fast. The problem I'm having in the area where I live, you either spend big bucks for a new one Honda, etc.....and watch them outgrow it quickly or buy a chinese brand and hope it will last until they can outgrow it, then go on to a better as he gets older. I hardly ever see or hear about a good used one in this area. Also need to consider the resale on one when he's ready to go to a larger model. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

watch your local craigslist dot com ;.&gt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and you can usually pick up a decent 50/70/90 for @ 500 bucks if you want it now you might have to buy chinese but if your patient and lucky some pretty sweet deels pop up on some" big 4 brands" for the same 5-600 bucks

Old 03-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I'll check out craigslist.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

40cc DRR.
You guys...4 yrs old and even considering a 90.
hmmmmm,,think of that V-8 juice commercial and just imagine someone (certainly not me) hitting you in the forehead. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

So a throttled down 90 going 5 mph is different than an 80 or a 50 doing the same speed?

I looked at the lt50, and honestly, it's about the same size as the power wheels she's been riding for 2 years.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Definitely check out craigslist.

That's where I got the project quad from.

200 bucks. Keeping in mind, this is the same qaud as a Polaris Predator 90. They had a 2002 model pred for 1200 bucks. I figure with the total tear down and rebuild, I'll have about 600-700 totally invested. It will last more than a few years, then sell it for what I have in it.

Quick Reply: What do you recommend?