Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

standard 12v lights on a quad

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008 | 03:58 AM
Range Rover
Default standard 12v lights on a quad

I really like the look of those trailtech lights that "atvingnc" posted a link to but they cost big $$$. Sflarider if you like tha B640 LED bulb then look around on Ebay as you can find similar items for less money. Take a look at this place I found on Ebay, he has some nice LED lights and even a couple that look like trailtech lights but of course they are LED for a lot less $$$. I'm sure they wouldn't be as bright but they would make some nice fog lights for your ATV and they would look cool. Here are some links.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TWIN-P...WQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-12V-OR...cZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TWIN-P...cZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

These are all from the same seller and none of the lights draw more than 5 watts or less than a 1/2 an amp of current, so they would not only look good but would draw very little power from your battery and charging system. I think that flood light with 93 LED's would really put out some light since the smaller 20 LED lights are the same as a 20 watt Halogen light.

High output LED's are kinda new technology so prices are still up there, but eventually should come down in a few more years. When me and the wife go tent camping, I run everything off of solar power with a 12 volt battery from a car to power my campsite, and the solar panel charges the battery during the day while were out hiking etc. This system works really nice as I use only LED lights that draw low current, and even run a 5" TV to watch Jay Leno at night while laying in the woods in a tent !

Slydog

Old 04-11-2008 | 12:17 AM
Range Rover

I was reading this post and wondering . The headlights that "idodishez" said he used were off road headlights . Then "slydogsrus"d said he used 55 watt lights. Which I am assuming is halogen road lights. Now the lights idodishez used could have ben tungsten lights which would draw more amperage than the halogens I think. YOU can down size from the 55 watt to maybe 35 watt and not be as bright or go the other direction up to 99 watt which will light up the northern sky at night . And use a higher amperage. Its not necessarily the wattage as the amperage they draw that makes the wires hot and the battery go down fast. Which BTW will eventually burn the alternator out from over work and getting hot

Old 04-11-2008 | 10:21 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: leesumm

I was reading this post and wondering . The headlights that "idodishez" said he used were off road headlights . Then "slydogsrus"d said he used 55 watt lights. Which I am assuming is halogen road lights. Now the lights idodishez used could have ben tungsten lights which would draw more amperage than the halogens I think. YOU can down size from the 55 watt to maybe 35 watt and not be as bright or go the other direction up to 99 watt which will light up the northern sky at night . And use a higher amperage. Its not necessarily the wattage as the amperage they draw that makes the wires hot and the battery go down fast. Which BTW will eventually burn the alternator out from over work and getting hot</end quote></div>

Leesum, makes a good point as we do not know the type of light he was trying to run I just assumed Halogen and the 55 watt came from "slfariders" post I guess, but your statement above is not accurate about the relationship between wattage and amperage as they are directly related.

A 55 watt halogen will draw 4.5 amps at 12 volts, where a 35 watt will draw 2.9 amps. So if it says 35 watt light then you need the proper gauge wire to carry 2.9 amps, where the 55 watt light is too much current for the stock wires and stator at 4.5 amps. That is not to say the 55 watt will not light up but it will not be getting the full 12 volts due to undersized wire and a weak charging system, and can melt the stock wires which could cause an electrical fire. My Taotao 250 D has 12 volt 18 watt bulbs so there is about 1.5 amps running through the stock wires for each light, and going to even 35 watt is doubling the amount of current those wires have to transfer.

You can have your stator re-wound for more current but that gets $$$ and you would also need to upgrade your battery as the stock ones are not that great. The only time a lights wattage rating is not in direct proportion to the current it draws is in the case of an LED or fluorescent lights that have ratings based on how much light they can put out and not how much energy they actually draw. Like an energy efficient fluorescent that only draws 15 watts but puts out 60 watts of light.

I just felt it was necessary to point this out as there a lot of electrical fires waiting to happen on these chinese ATV's if anything gets added like lights or a winch on models that have these small gauge wires and weak stator's. You just have to be aware of the limitations of the charging system and try to use energy efficient lights and run your own wiring and not depend on the factory system.

Slydog

Old 04-11-2008 | 11:06 AM
Range Rover

Your right , for one thing I am not an electrician and dont know the values of wiring and bulbs for lighting. I was just under an assumption and thinking out loud and on paper. The wiring on my Vbike is a bit more heavier than I expected it to be in places particularly on the wiring and the lights are much brighter than anticipated. The bulbs are also of halogen inserts of wattage I dont know. I was going on the thought of the older automotive lights used way back before halogen inserts became popular , they did burn a lot hotter than the ones today. I have added several ***. to my Vbike but I did it with a wiring block under a fused connection straight from the battery then connected to the the wiring block. I have added such as a ***. lighter socket for the cell phone charger and a portable air pump for the soon to happen "flat tire in the middle of now where " and a winch. This block indirectly wires it directly to the battery. I was under the assumption the halogens draw less amperage than the standard sealed beams .

Old 04-11-2008 | 11:06 AM
Range Rover

Your right , for one thing I am not an electrician and dont know the values of wiring and bulbs for lighting. I was just under an assumption and thinking out loud and on paper. The wiring on my Vbike is a bit more heavier than I expected it to be in places particularly on the wiring and the lights are much brighter than anticipated. The bulbs are also of halogen inserts of wattage I dont know. I was going on the thought of the older automotive lights used way back before halogen inserts became popular , they did burn a lot hotter than the ones today. I have added several ***. to my Vbike but I did it with a wiring block under a fused connection straight from the battery then connected to the the wiring block. I have added such as a ***. lighter socket for the cell phone charger and a portable air pump for the soon to happen "flat tire in the middle of now where " and a winch. This block indirectly wires it directly to the battery. I was under the assumption the halogens draw less amperage than the standard sealed beams .

Old 04-11-2008 | 01:39 PM
Range Rover

leesumm,
It all depends how much efficiency a bulb has to how much heat it gives off, typically high quality halogen headlight bulbs do not get as hot due to they produce more light than heat. The older style bulbs or sealed beam lights were not as efficient and thus gave off more heat than light.

I am speaking from my electrical engineering background and with the corners being cut on wiring on many chinese ATV's and adding too many accessories to their ATV's it can easily burn up the stator and melt the wires causing a short or worse a fire.

I have to commend you on such a factory style install on your ATV, many people don't understand the importance of overloading your electrical system and many don't install any fuses. From what I have read on our ATV's depending on the model anything more than 35 watt head lights can overload the charging system and cause failure with out upgrading your stator.

Technology is always advancing as I have been reading more about the HID lights and how efficient they are compared to halogen lights. They even have a system out for ATV's but cost $$$.

Best regards, Slydog