Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Is it a bad clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it a bad clutch?

Guys,
I have a chinese 90cc atv fully automatic with less than 10 hours of use in it, that I had not used for 8 months or so. I did change the oil when I got it. To make things short, I started it with no problems, however, it seems the clutch is bad. It will not pull (move the tires) at all. If I lift the tires off the ground, they start spinning. I can then hold the tires off ground with my hands, rev the engine (max), and nothing happens. Is the clutch slipping? I tried to adjust the clutch but it seems like it doesn't tighten at all. It was running great before. Should I invest on a new clutch?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Range Rover

if the engine is running good and you can rev the engine up while the atv is on the ground and the atv does not move but the wheels wll turn once the atv rear wheels are lifted off the ground, YES it's the clutch. do not use a synthetic oil in a wet clutch, over load the avt by having an adult ride it, try hill climbing, all these thing will burn out this clutch, it is not japenese quality, but will work under normal conditions,

Old 04-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

I can't see the clutch just going bad due to no use, it's gotta be some other issue!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Range Rover

absolutely nothing else it could be, its the clutch . the good thing a new clutch costs from $25-50 depending whom you buy it from and takes about 30 minutes to install. these clutches on 50-125cc chinese quads are very weak, they have one full fiction plate and 2 drive plates which one side has friction material, it doesn't take much to burn up this clutch. here's one thing you could try, you could try ; adjust the clutch, on the right side of the engine theirs a stud and a lock nut, loosen the locknut and rotate the stud counter clock wise until resistance is felt, then turn the stud clockwise 1/8 turn. tighten locknut, if it still slips after the clutch adjustment then it needs replacing

Old 04-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

please re read

"fully auto" means cvt trans. try to look for water or grease on the clutch making it slip.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

One thing that would come to mind is if the rear clutch is stuck and will not engage. Over time it may of rusted or corroded making it stick. I would take it apart and clean it up good.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: onebigzj

please re read

"fully auto" means cvt trans. try to look for water or grease on the clutch making it slip.</end quote></div>

sorry fully automatic does not mean cvt transmission, chinese 50-110cc honda clone engines do not use a cvt transmission, the automatics only use a centrifugal clutch. that means they have a clutch only, they do not have a variator or drive belt to connect the variator to the clutch thats in a cvt transmission. i've seen e-bay and web listing that some dealers states they use a cvt transmission but thats just a plan lie. don't belive me then just look at the differance between the transmission cases of a 125-150cc gy6 uses a cvt transmission and a 50-110 chinese atv. you will notice the transmission is a lot longer on the left side on the gy6 or any engine that has a cvt transmission than one without, that because of the variator,drive belt and clutch all fits inside the cover, on the 50-110 the clutch is on the the right side of the engine, no matter if it's automatic, simiautomatic or manual transmission