Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Taotao ATA-250D shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taotao ATA-250D shifting problems

Thats awsome Wildwoody that you got it resolved. Obviously this one must shift good. Glad to hear that Tim took care of the issue.

I don't know if I'd use that oil that came in the new engine. Maybe to be on the safe side I'd use a cheap engine oil for break-in. There is a consensus on this forum that that oil they come with is garbage.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:40 AM
Range Rover

Glad to hear it all worked out and your ATV is back up and running. The idle screw is the one on the right side of the carb with the little spring and the air/fuel mixture screw is on the bottom front facing downward. Now that you have the 13 tooth front sprocket it should launch easier in first gear and eliminates the sluggish feeling it had before due to high gearing. Have fun riding...............Slydog

Old 05-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cool deal with the screw I'll go looking for it. Thanks a lot MWQ and Slydog.

From day one the oil was changed to the good stuff. I merely made note that after 7-8 hours of run time even that oil was looking pretty sick. Heck I run 4 cycle Mobile1 oil in the Zero turn mower I have and after a full season of riding it doesn't look that bad. They must not clean these engines after casting them. I used to work for a company that did castings and that is what the sludge looks like when you clean the castings after pulling them out of the molds.
Like I say just a note.

I'm telling you the gearing is awsome now. We have a creek near the back of the property where you can cross (about 8 inches deep and 2-3 foot accross/rock/gravel bottom) that gets kinda muddy with heavy rains and it just tromps right on through nice and steady without having over throttle. Good weight distribution and steady stable footing.

Super value for the money.
Tim/VBike and ToaTao have got a great deal with this machine. JUST KEEP UP THE GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE!

The really funny end to this story is a guy I work with is a family member of Houser; owners of houser-racing, an ATV performance and racing company. He's looking into one of these to tinker with. He just can't believe I have a $1200 quad that isn't a scam.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pcitures anyone of the carb? Where the hell is the air mixture screw!!!

HELP!!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Wildwoody I'm glad to see everything worked out.The ajustment screw is facing down.look for where your carb ataches to the cylinder.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:36 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Its most likely in the front of the carb facing down. Can sometimes be hidden in between a hump in the bowl.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:51 AM
Range Rover

Wildwoody,
Take a look at my gallery pictures and there is one of the carb and you can see the fuel mixture screw facing downward. Here is a picture showing the location of the fuel mixture screw...........http://i262.photobucket.com/al...ogsrus/43465256_o.jpg

Slydog

Old 05-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

These might help too. To get them to work you will have to add the
http://.

rightwayatv.com/downloads/Carburetor%20Basic%20Principles.pdf

rightwayatv.com/downloads/Advanced%20Carb%20Tuning.pdf

Old 05-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Principles

Tuning

Old 05-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

OMG did someone from Ford or Chevy design this? OK I had to get my welding mat out so I could get my hand into the area to adjust the screw. I screwed it closed and turned it out 1/2 turn. I ended up having to bring it out a total of 1 turn to get the cleanest performance. Still amazes me they'd put the screw there.

Still can't believe how much better this is with this gearing.

Quick Reply: Taotao ATA-250D shifting problems