Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

no start problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no start problem

Hello, my girls 06 predater 90 has a prob. the headlights and horn do not work . The oil light does not come on.When you hit the start button ... nothing. The battery is good ... holding 13.6 volts.It will not kick start. kill switch is in thr right pos. Anyone have any ideas????

Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default no start problem

With the key 'on' and 13+ volts in the battery and the horn or lights won't work - most likely cause is a 'blown fuse' or a completely 'unhooked' ground.

Starting with the 'positive' battery lead - trace the harness back. Somewhere, probably about 16" ??? down the harness you should find a fuse holder (most have a spare fuse inside). If, you replace the fuse and the new one blows immediately - you have a short. Disconnect as many things as you can - like lights, horn, etc. Replace fuse again. If it still blows - start inspecting every inch of wiring until you find what's causing the short to ground.

If the fuse is NOT blown - start tracing the ground wire back from the battery until you find the main ground (usually the engine). Wiggle and with about 5 pound of pressure 'pull' on the ground wire where it attaches to the engine - if it 'comes off', you did not 'break it' - it was already 'broken' and the vinyl insulation was the only thing holding it. Get a new wire end and repair.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default no start problem

Thanks for the Ideas. I went thru every thing and cant find anything. The fuse is right next the battery and it fine. I spoke to a guy I know that is a dealer mech and he has never heard of this???????????????????????

Old 05-30-2008, 02:31 AM
Trailblazer
Default no start problem

hmmmm, Just a thought, I wonder if there is a problem with the ignition switch (keyed switch). Check to make sure it didn't come unplugged. maybe even unplug it and hot wire it. I had a bike once that had a goofy kill switch. sometimes you had to wiggle it a bit even though it was in the "run" position. Maybe there is some kind of problem there. If its not those 2 switches, I'd just trace the wires from the battery and make sure there are no shorts or bad connections. I would think the lights would come on as long as they are getting power. That kinda leads me to think its just some kind of broken connection.
Did this just happen all of the sudden? I mean was there any symptoms of a problem prior to this, or did is not start one day? OR, did something happen out of the ordinary to it before this happened? like, did it get soaking wet, or was it jump started (maybe something could have fried, I dunno)

Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Trailblazer
Full Time DAD!
Default no start problem

These Chinese bikes have really crappy wiring harnesses and electrical parts in general. I have had wires come loose all over, including the keyed switch. Just start checking all the connections for a loose wire. I kept the key on with the brake locked and the lights on and just started wiggling all the connections and pretty soon found the loose wire.

Good luck.

EDIT: Just noticed you said it was a PoPo Predator. I would still check all the connections first.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer
Default no start problem

HEY, i just thought of something. I dunno if that bike has one of those tether cord cut off switches near the back. If it does, make sure the part that pulls out is all the way in. If it is, make sure the wiring to that switch is intact. I had a wire come loose to that stupid thing once and it disables the whole bike. If there is any doubt, you can just unplug the switch and connect the wires together. Those are kind of silly, unless you plan on following your child around with a leash on their ATV. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer
Full Time DAD!
Default no start problem

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Howmon

HEY, i just thought of something. I dunno if that bike has one of those tether cord cut off switches near the back. If it does, make sure the part that pulls out is all the way in. If it is, make sure the wiring to that switch is intact. I had a wire come loose to that stupid thing once and it disables the whole bike. If there is any doubt, you can just unplug the switch and connect the wires together. Those are kind of silly, unless you plan on following your child around with a leash on their ATV. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Yeah, I hate those things. You are supposed to be able to connect it to the child and if they fall off, the tether should kill the bike. The one on ours will not come out. I have applied ALOT of force and it simply will not move. I have bypassed ours too since it's worthless the way it is anyway. One less thing to rule out when troubleshooting.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:20 AM
Trailblazer
Default no start problem

OHHH i get it. that kinda makes more sense than chasing your kid around holding a tether attached to the rear of the bike. I was thinking if was for when your child was first learning and you had it set very slow so they wouldn't take off like a maniac and run into the first tree or wall they found. Still, if it was tied to the child and it didn't release like you said, when the kid fell off the bike might keep going and drag the child away. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] haha well, someone thought it was a good idea.